Aldeer.com

Hunting near planted peanut field

Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 12:47 PM

Found out a neighboring farmer has a pretty large field of peanuts planted. Did a little scouting and placed a cam on one of the trails leading to it so hopefully see whats using it. Any of you guys had experience hunting around or on a trail leading to planted peanuts? Already decided I was gonna hang a lock on about 45 yards from the fence line leading to the field based on a very heavy trail I found.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 01:16 PM

I'd rather hunt peanut fields than anything. The turkeys will be all over it next Spring, too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 01:20 PM

I love it when the farmer plants peanuts on one of my leases. It holds deer in there all winter.

You probably won't catch many deer using the field on one trail alone. Scatter some shelled corn in the area and leave a few lbs in front of the camera.

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
I'd rather hunt peanut fields than anything. The turkeys will be all over it next Spring, too.

Actually saw about 10 turkeys out in the peanuts when I was putting the cam up. The trail looked like a dang deer interstate I put it on.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

Actually saw about 10 turkeys out in the peanuts when I was putting the cam up. The trail looked like a dang deer interstate I put it on.

Yep. Deer will eat the foliage, until the peanuts make. Then the turkeys and deer will dig up the peanuts. After the peanuts are harvested, there will be some left scattered on top of the ground. The deer and turkeys will eat them, then too.
Posted By: hitek

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 01:47 PM

So if the deer love them this much how hard are they to grow?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: hitek
So if the deer love them this much how hard are they to grow?

Not practical for a food plotter.
Posted By: booner

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 02:18 PM

We have planted cotton, peanuts, corn and soybeans around our place and I hunt a small funnel that comes back from them in the mornings and always see a ton of deer. Shot a nice 8pt, a 10pt and missed another off of the same stand last year. I like to hunt the fields in the afternoons in the first part of the season and in the rut. Always seem to produce eventually. You will be surprised at what crosses those fields in the middle of the day too.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 02:51 PM

In my experience, the deer easily become nocturnal around bean fields. I've got 135 acres worth of peanuts right now on my lease. Like Brock said, don't concentrate on one or 2 main trails. They will enter the fields from all directions. Enjoy
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 03:04 PM

Theyll walk thru corn to get to the pnuts. If you can see the field youll notice the twelve ft of growth next to the woods will be destroyed. I dont think anything compares to a whitetails love of gubbers.That field will be productive long after the pnuts are harvested. I envy you .
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 03:09 PM

It will be good.

Miss hunting farmland..
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 09:20 PM

I used to have a club with about a 500 acre peanut field across a paved road. I would sit in a ladder stand about 200 yds from the road. Routinely have 30-40 deer come thhru in the last hour before dark. You could sit in a truck on the paved road and see 100+ in an hour. The hunting slacked off rapidly when the peanuts were picked

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 09:35 PM

Sounds like I'm on the right track then by hanging a lockon on the trail leading to it then. Trying to get the wifey her first deer with a bow this year,so looking for quantity of shot opportunities of deer that aren't on edge like they would be maybe out in a greenfield or something. Thanks for all the input guys
Posted By: slipn

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 10:00 PM

The peanuts will be picked before bow season starts. The farmer will probably plant a winter cover crop on it, so it will still be a great place to hunt. If you are bow hunting, look for the less used secondary trails. A few weeks before bow season starts you should be able to identify the trails the bucks are using by rubs. Back off the field a good piece and you'll see your better bucks before dark.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/30/15 10:18 PM

Love it when the farmers plant peanuts it will put some bone on the bucks very high in protein. Here around the house in Ms we will see deer in the field all day. You can tell what trails to be on looks like highways leading out to them.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/31/15 10:42 AM

One day I would like to hunt near some type of agriculture. I would have to drive past 482 million pine trees to get to a crop of anything.
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Hunting near planted peanut field - 07/31/15 02:04 PM

I have peanut fields on 2 sides of my house and corn on the other and watch deer all the time. Early season up to right after the farmers harvest bucks and does will use them. Once they are picked does will use them through the season.

Come rut it turns back into early season again and the bucks show back up. I've seen some mature bucks do some stupid things in a peanut field during January.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM