Aldeer.com

New to dove fields

Posted By: bamaeyedoc

New to dove fields - 04/27/24 09:42 PM

So I’ve got 3 plots on my lease and I was toying with the idea of planting some millet and having a shoot or 2. Cut, disc, and plant now? I’m also gonna put some lime down in May. I got some real acidic dirt and my soil tests said I need a helluva lot of lime and that’s my priority. Or should I just scrap the dove plot idea? What say ALdeer?
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: New to dove fields - 04/27/24 09:51 PM

Plant the millet. Then burn it 2 weeks before. Lightly disc and top sow wheat the wheat before
Posted By: BPI

Re: New to dove fields - 04/28/24 12:59 AM

Still a little early.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: New to dove fields - 04/28/24 01:19 AM

I agree with bp but that being said we planted everything today.
Mainly bc of the mammoth sunflower seeds

Re: New to dove fields - 04/28/24 02:46 AM

I like having my seed on the ground or ready 2-3 weeks before season. I use the millet to start the seed game being put on the ground
Posted By: BPI

Re: New to dove fields - 04/28/24 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by YellaLineHunter
I like having my seed on the ground or ready 2-3 weeks before season. I use the millet to start the seed game being put on the ground

Yep. I usually will bush hog about 3 weeks before the season then go over it with the disc's opening morning. Then plant my deer plots at the end of Sept. - early Oct.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: New to dove fields - 04/29/24 07:03 PM

Most of whats already been said,
It is Early I would wait 3 more weeks but it will work now. I have been forced to spray mine with Gly on wet years. 100% after you cut it, burn it. They will kill it after a burn. Then apply wheat to top sow. Millet likes the fertilizer so it can get expensive. I have went to a cheaper alternative. Wait till August, till it a couple times and just throw the wheat to it. Just plain feed wheat is cheap and it will come up and make a pretty green spot this winter. Doves never eat it all especially after a couple rains. You can add any other seed you would want and lightly disk for a green field. I know there are regs to be legal about covering it before you shoot it. Last year I mixed in some oats with mine. We will cut mine for hay then I will keep it disked up till August.
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: New to dove fields - 04/30/24 04:30 PM

It's not too early to plant Sunflowers, milo, or sesame. Millet doesn't take long at all. You could probably plant some now, cut it in a couple months, and plant again before season starts and still be okay.

Re: New to dove fields - 05/05/24 02:44 AM

Got my field planted today. Hope the rain shows up now
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: New to dove fields - 05/05/24 02:34 PM

Unless you have a burning desire to grow something just top sew wheat in the fall and save big $$$ and time. Completely legal on a prepared seed bed. No more than 200# to the acre. I use maybe half that and have plenty of birds.
Posted By: blade

Re: New to dove fields - 05/05/24 05:36 PM

If you have a small group you place and only gonna shoot it a couple times, you may be as well off to just prep and top sow wheat.
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: New to dove fields - 05/05/24 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by trailertrash
Unless you have a burning desire to grow something just top sew wheat in the fall and save big $$$ and time. Completely legal on a prepared seed bed. No more than 200# to the acre. I use maybe half that and have plenty of birds.

Brown top millet is pretty cheap. Couple hundred bucks will plant multiple acres and you don’t even have to use fertilizer.

Re: New to dove fields - 05/07/24 02:41 AM

Yes best and easiest is to till some strips 1st of August, every week break and drag new strips and top sow wheat. I like to start from the outside and work in. This puts the freshest seed in the middle to help everyone have an equal chance at birds, in theory.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM