</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor
by kaferhaus. 06/01/24 11:38 AM
Bush Hog 12 ft Batwing Cutter
by rutwad. 06/01/24 10:57 AM
WTB small boat trailer
by jameyr. 06/01/24 09:31 AM
FS Largemouth Bass Mounts
by BamaGuitarDude. 06/01/24 04:50 AM
FS Vintage 35 Day Centurion Wall Clock
by BamaGuitarDude. 06/01/24 04:37 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Are these the good ol’ days??
by Peach. 06/01/24 02:16 PM
Favorite hunting method
by woodduck. 06/01/24 11:41 AM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by kkfish. 05/31/24 09:14 PM
points or age on bucks...
by CNC. 05/30/24 08:44 PM
Help with Survey
by Steve Ditchkoff. 05/29/24 03:09 PM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a couple guys
by MoeBuck. 05/25/24 06:25 PM
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Who's Online Now
101 registered members (AUdeer88, jwalker77, Jdkprp70, RCHRR, Andalusia, IDOT, BigEd, Hunter454, Dubie, JCL, woodduck, Keysbowman, bamabug, jaredhunts, jbatey1, scrubbuck, hunterturf, CNC, bamaeyedoc, WDE, MountainTopHunter, timberwolfe, hosscat, WoodleyRoadDeer, SouthBamaSlayer, BCLC, doublefistful, Jweeks, jake44, Herdbull, Buck1976, brianr, clayk, sloughfoot, blade, Claims Rep., sj22, Peach, Okatuppa, 4Tigers, hamma, Ant67, Showout, Squeaky, Pwyse, Daniel4191, MikeP, Safetyman, Tree Dweller, cartervj, hillmp, Kang, AJones, fourfive45, gman, JohnG, canichols424, chevydude2015, flounderpounder, mzzy, Turkeyneck78, Raspy, coldtrail, Jwillbucks, BCD, bodock, Petey, Gunpowder, Whild_Bill, m2ruger, Antelope08, Fishhead706, Luxfisher, BamaGuitarDude, Dragfan66, Chiller, Turkey_neck, Bowfish, NotsoBright, Snuffy, CrappieMan, Quack Quack Bang, Mjh97, mw2015, Jmoore77, Young20, oakachoy, Garndawg, Gobble4me757, Shane99, Zbrann, 3Gs, 9 invisible), 703 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: College Football [Re: Backwards cowboy] #4127647
05/06/24 06:02 PM
05/06/24 06:02 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Online IMG_0051.GIF
10 point
Pwyse  Online IMG_0051.GIF
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by Backwards cowboy
Originally Posted by Pwyse
I will say again, I know of several athletes that got in the portal, and couldn't qualify academically at the school that wanted them. You guys look through the lens of football. Not just football, but football at major programs. And you hear about a couple of kids that got special treatment and then claim it is the norm. I can tell you it's not. If a girls soccer player wants to transfer to a different school and she doesn't qualify academically she ain't getting in. Same with most sports. I'm not saying they don't make concessions for some. But the VAST MAJORITY they do not.

I'm not looking through the lens of football, I'm looking through the lens of WOMENS basketball, and I'm not talking about major programs, never visited an sec, big ten or acc program. Some one would think if it existed in women's basketball at lower d1 schools, one of which was a highly regarded academic school, and one that was an IVY League school, what goes on at big time football and men's basketball programs would make you sick. Division 2 schools do have academic requirements to get in, Division 1 just say they do! And Division one schools will give a scholarship to kid just based on academics that will never get to play just to bring up the teams GPA. I have no idea about nil did not exist when my daughter signed, and no one offered any extras to her.

That makes zero sense man. D1 and D2 are NCAA designations. Designations on the university's sports programs. Those designations have nothing to do with the academic standards of the institution. So to say that a university changes its academic standards based on what designation their sports programs have is stupid. I have coached many many players, and coached against many many players that were beyond good enough to play at the D1 power 5 level that could not qualify academically to go to a 4 year school. Most of the either didn't go or flunked out of JUCO. These players were recruited by big time programs for awhile. It happens ALL the time.

Re: College Football [Re: Happysappy] #4127658
05/06/24 06:20 PM
05/06/24 06:20 PM
Xroads
B
Backwards cowboy Offline
6 point
Backwards cowboy  Offline
6 point
B
Xroads
Ok, I'm not calling anyone a liar or saying they are wrong, but I do know what I've seen and experienced. Stood in Atlanta with my daughter's travel ball coach and heard this conversation......... sec coach to travel ball coach, hey were interested in player so and so off one of your teams. Travel coach, you don't want her she can't make it academically, we both know how this goes, I bust my butt all summer to get her qualified, she comes in the first semester and flunks out and then yall get mad at me. I've got a girl on another team you can look at she'll make it academically. Sec coach.... naw, we want this girl, you get her to sign we'll get her in, if she can play we'll keep her there. This ain't made up, and it's not second hand, that's how it works in women's basketball. Been to a women's basketball game , not a huge money maker for the sec! Have many of these same stories I've seen first hand. Now every d2 school that she was recruited by, want to see sat/act scores and grade point average sent to them before they would even talk to her.

Re: College Football [Re: Happysappy] #4127663
05/06/24 06:26 PM
05/06/24 06:26 PM
Xroads
B
Backwards cowboy Offline
6 point
Backwards cowboy  Offline
6 point
B
Xroads
To get into Yale at the time you had to have a perfect sat/act have any above perfect GPA, and then be selected from the group of people who apply. There are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools. I would bet not one athlete at Yale has a perfect sat score nor can any of them afford tuition there, even with loans. No how does that happen??

Re: College Football [Re: Backwards cowboy] #4127684
05/06/24 07:15 PM
05/06/24 07:15 PM
Mobile, AL
P
10 point
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
To get into Yale at the time you had to have a perfect sat/act have any above perfect GPA, and then be selected from the group of people who apply. There are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools. I would bet not one athlete at Yale has a perfect sat score nor can any of them afford tuition there, even with loans. No how does that happen??

Well that ain't true. I had a kid recruited by Yale. You just needed a 31 composite score. This was 6 years ago. And they give them grants. Just like D3 does. But they do have to qualify academically.

The same situation in your basketball example. You know how they get them in there? They get them qualified. They don't lower the qualifications. They get the kid to qualify. And a TON of coaches say that. Then they get their grades. Then they figure out... oh we can't get them qualified. Coaches will say anything to anyone to get to the athletes. They make promises. They say they can give them this or that. It all works out until it doesn't.

Just because you heard a coach say that, doesn't mean it's gonna happen. I've seen it go the opposite way you think it does WAY more.

Re: College Football [Re: Pwyse] #4127742
05/06/24 08:43 PM
05/06/24 08:43 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri

Well that ain't true. I had a kid recruited by Yale. You just needed a 31 composite score. This was 6 years ago. And they give them grants. Just like D3 does. But they do have to qualify academically.

The same situation in your basketball example. You know how they get them in there? They get them qualified. They don't lower the qualifications. They get the kid to qualify. And a TON of coaches say that. Then they get their grades. Then they figure out... oh we can't get them qualified. Coaches will say anything to anyone to get to the athletes. They make promises. They say they can give them this or that. It all works out until it doesn't.

Just because you heard a coach say that, doesn't mean it's gonna happen. I've seen it go the opposite way you think it does WAY more.

Some schools are more strict with standards though. The story goes that years ago when Mike Anderson was the Basketball coach at Mizzou he wanted this Mitchell kid on the team and academic wouldnt let him in. That was the last straw for Anderson and he later left for the Arkansas Job. Maybe he would have left anyway because of his Arkansas roots. But the story about Mitchell was correct and the school wouldnt let him in.

Re: College Football [Re: Happysappy] #4127767
05/06/24 09:13 PM
05/06/24 09:13 PM
Earth
TDog93 Offline
Booner
TDog93  Offline
Booner
Earth
My roommates played sports at au. The advantages they got were incredible. Old test - tudors - etc. i looked at some of it and was like - how the heck would you ever fail - even if u stupid?? Amd they can go into bone head majors. That was 30 years agp - got to b way more crooked now!!

Hunt the wind - leave it better than you found it - love your neighbor as you love your self
We need prayer for our country now more than ever
Re: College Football [Re: Happysappy] #4127768
05/06/24 09:14 PM
05/06/24 09:14 PM
Earth
TDog93 Offline
Booner
TDog93  Offline
Booner
Earth
Amd some of them boys were down right stupid! Other sec schools no different

Hunt the wind - leave it better than you found it - love your neighbor as you love your self
We need prayer for our country now more than ever
Re: College Football [Re: TDog93] #4127787
05/06/24 09:30 PM
05/06/24 09:30 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by TDog93
Amd some of them boys were down right stupid! Other sec schools no different

I dont want to be mean, but I could nitice a difference following the move to the SEC. Prior most of the out of state guys were from Texas and upper midwest. After there were more Georgia, Carolina, and florida players. The student academic readiness was much better in those Texas players. The ones from the southeast werent as advanced. Could be the switch to adding some of the Juco talent. But I noticed a switch following the conference shift.

Re: College Football [Re: Pwyse] #4127825
05/06/24 11:07 PM
05/06/24 11:07 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
Abolt U of F has no ACT requirement. So how could they lower that standard?

The comment was that athletes are held to the same academic admission standards as a common student and that is patently false.

Re: College Football [Re: abolt300] #4127829
05/06/24 11:34 PM
05/06/24 11:34 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by abolt300

The comment was that athletes are held to the same academic admission standards as a common student and that is patently false.

You are right. But there are some standards. Problem is in recent years they have been eroded. I think the old days of using the juco route was better for non-qualifiers. It made for better competition, especially in basketball.

Re: College Football [Re: Semo] #4128032
05/07/24 11:25 AM
05/07/24 11:25 AM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
Originally Posted by Semo

You are right. But there are some standards. Problem is in recent years they have been eroded. I think the old days of using the juco route was better for non-qualifiers. It made for better competition, especially in basketball.

Correction. There "were" some standards. You're correct when you say they have been eroded. They've been eroded to the point that there basically are not any, in today's college athletics. You used to have to have a certain GPA and minimum ACT or SAT score (lower than the common student, but it was a hard standard). Then it became apparent that there were a ton of top notch athletes that coaches and schools desperately wanted on the field, that were unable to get into the big D1 colleges, so the NCAA came up with the "sliding scale". They came up with it in order to overweight the HS GPAs and allow athletes that could only make a 14 or 17 on the ACT to still be admitted. The better your HS GPA, the lower you could make on the ACT or SAT and still be admitted. Still had a floor on the ACT but the sliding scaled allowed it to be lowered enough that if you could do basic arithmetic, write your name and read on an elementary school level, you could make it. Now, even that has become too much of a "weed out" factor for great athletes and physical specimens. So just past year, the NCAA completely did away with the SAT and ACT requirements for "student" athletes entirely (some schools still maintain the sliding scale or ACT minimums themselves, but it is no longer a NCAA requirement). The athlete admission standards have been being diluted and relaxed, again and again until there basically are not any........if you're good enough at your sport.

Re: College Football [Re: Happysappy] #4128074
05/07/24 01:10 PM
05/07/24 01:10 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri

Correction. There "were" some standards. You're correct when you say they have been eroded. They've been eroded to the point that there basically are not any, in today's colleige athletics. You used to have to have a certain GPA and minimum ACT or SAT score (lower than the common student, but it was a hard standard). Then it became apparent that there were a ton of top notch athletes that coaches and schools desperately wanted on the field, that were unable to get into the big D1 colleges, so the NCAA came up with the "sliding scale". They came up with it in order to overweight the HS GPAs and allow athletes that could only make a 14 or 17 on the ACT to still be admitted. The better your HS GPA, the lower you could make on the ACT or SAT and still be admitted. Still had a floor on the ACT but the sliding scaled allowed it to be lowered enough that if you could do basic arithmetic, write your name and read on an elementary school level, you could make it. Now, even that has become too much of a "weed out" factor for great athletes and physical specimens. So just past year, the NCAA completely did away with the SAT and ACT requirements for "student" athletes entirely (some schools still maintain the sliding scale or ACT minimums themselves, but it is no longer a NCAA requirement). The athlete admission standards have been being diluted and relaxed, again and again until there basically are not any........if you're good enough at your sport.

BTW... it isnt just athletes anymore. There are regular college students who are functionally illiterate getting into D1 schools... Several in the state of Georgia. Most seem to be from urban schools where nobody had "the heart" to stop the student's dream of going to college. What they really do is hurt them more in the long run. That is also what also happens in athletics.

I had to tutor a few dandy kids. Because I was older (and male) I was put in charge of the "problem kids" or suspended ones including a couple kicked off teams for rape. Most were from failing urban schools in Memphis, stl, and east stl. Nobody ever held them accountable.

But, I can say that those SEC championship game teams (lost) that Mizzou sent in the mid 2010's were full of bright and really good students. I'm not going to name them but almost every one I encountered you would be happy to hire to work or run your business. Fine human beings....except a few. Had a couple in the classes I taught and so did my wife. Even though they knew they were getting drafted they would come in for extra work. A couple even talked about having backup plans because life in the nfl would be short lived. One found out I had been a financial planner and requested I help him with his personal finance class. He wanted to run a construction company when he was done playing.... He played 11 seasons in the NFL and made about $10 million. Several guys would come in for extra help because he wanted all As. O e of those that hung around the most is still playing in the NFL and has so far earned about $60 million.

Many, many elite DI football players arent dumb jocks. Now.....lets not talk about elite recievers. different breed lol

Re: College Football [Re: Backwards cowboy] #4128081
05/07/24 01:22 PM
05/07/24 01:22 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
I will say again, I know of several athletes that got in the portal, and couldn't qualify academically at the school that wanted them. You guys look through the lens of football. Not just football, but football at major programs. And you hear about a couple of kids that got special treatment and then claim it is the norm. I can tell you it's not. If a girls soccer player wants to transfer to a different school and she doesn't qualify academically she ain't getting in. Same with most sports. I'm not saying they don't make concessions for some. But the VAST MAJORITY they do not.

I'm not looking through the lens of football, I'm looking through the lens of WOMENS basketball, and I'm not talking about major programs, never visited an sec, big ten or acc program. Some one would think if it existed in women's basketball at lower d1 schools, one of which was a highly regarded academic school, and one that was an IVY League school, what goes on at big time football and men's basketball programs would make you sick. Division 2 schools do have academic requirements to get in, Division 1 just say they do! And Division one schools will give a scholarship to kid just based on academics that will never get to play just to bring up the teams GPA. I have no idea about nil did not exist when my daughter signed, and no one offered any extras to her.

BTW, one of my favorite students ended up making about $20 million in the NFL as a d-lineman. I just looked him up and he is currently a biology teacher and football coach in HS. Those kids are blessed to have him.

Re: College Football [Re: Semo] #4128116
05/07/24 02:24 PM
05/07/24 02:24 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A

BTW, one of my favorite students ended up making about $20 million in the NFL as a d-lineman. I just looked him up and he is currently a biology teacher and football coach in HS. Those kids are blessed to have him.

You're very correct on there now being a bunch of regular students that do not belong. Most all of those are minorities that check boxes for DEI and "woke" administrations that feel their campuses are not diverse enough. In most cases they take the spot of a non-minority, that is way more qualified to be accepted, but is discriminated against.

Yeah, the starting WRs, DBs, half the RBs, some linemen on both sides of the ball, and about 50% of special teamers are typically where the special ones play. Based on my son's experience, I'd say probably 65-70% of a 105 man roster are legitimate college students that keep their nose clean, work hard, study hard, and out of those, there's probably 10-12 on every team that are highly intelligent kids. My son played 6 yrs total with a redshirt and covid year, 4 yrs FBS and 2 yrs FCS while getting his MBA, so he got the full D1 experience on both sides. Man at the stories, he can tell. He got his MBA at a very high level academic school and he said that practices were so much better and efficient at the FCS higher academic school, just based on the quality of the student athletes. They could run a play 2 or 3 times and they'd have it down. At the FBS school it would take half a practice to do the same thing. He used to joke that you could randomly pick 30 kids from the FCS team and add up of their 30 individual IQs and then take the entire 105 man roster for the FBS team and the combined total IQ of the 30 FCS guys would exceed the total of the entire 105 man FBS roster.

Said you could always tell when the Pell grant money would hit accounts. You'd see the small boas and those small yellow pythons, iguanas, bunch of new grills (gold teeth), crazy expensive shoes and clothes, chains and jewelry, and other crazy stuff, show up in the locker room for about 2 weeks after the pell money hit. A side benefit to his FBS stint was that he became conversationally fluent in ebonics which Im sure will certainly help him later in life. There are some really smart college athletes but for everyone of those, there's also one that doesnt belong there. Some are just downright stupid and have no business at a 4 yr university. There was one guy that played with him, a sure mid 2nd round draft pick, dumb as a rock, but the kid could absolutely fly and had a 40+" vertical. He gets pulled over for going 110 mph, out of state on I10, four weeks before the NFL combine, with $400,000 of hard drugs and a couple guns in his car. Stupid is hard to fix. Instead of making millions in the NFL, he's sitting in prison in either Louisiana or Texas. LOL

Last edited by abolt300; 05/07/24 02:45 PM.
Re: College Football [Re: Happysappy] #4128163
05/07/24 04:06 PM
05/07/24 04:06 PM
Mobile, AL
P
10 point
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Remember that the NCAA does not set the academic standards for the universities. They only set the standards for the athletes to be able to play in the NCAA. Just because an athlete qualifies to play in the NCAA doesn't mean they qualify to attend every university in the NCAA.

Try to get a normal run of the mill student athlete qualified to attend Wake Forest. Or Vandy. I've been down that road and it's hard. Coaches offered them and it was HARD to get them eligible there.

Every athlete that I've known that transfers in the portal must meet with a guidance counselor at the new school to make sure that credits are transferred and GPAs are high enough to attend. It's pretty common for a kid to have to take some different courses to raise the GPA before transferring. Students that are not athletes do this all the time as well.

Re: College Football [Re: Pwyse] #4128276
05/07/24 07:51 PM
05/07/24 07:51 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Remember that the NCAA does not set the academic standards for the universities. They only set the standards for the athletes to be able to play in the NCAA. Just because an athlete qualifies to play in the NCAA doesn't mean they qualify to attend every university in the NCAA.

Try to get a normal run of the mill student athlete qualified to attend Wake Forest. Or Vandy. I've been down that road and it's hard. Coaches offered them and it was HARD to get them eligible there.

Every athlete that I've known that transfers in the portal must meet with a guidance counselor at the new school to make sure that credits are transferred and GPAs are high enough to attend. It's pretty common for a kid to have to take some different courses to raise the GPA before transferring. Students that are not athletes do this all the time as well.

The Academies too. I hope my kids dont play college sports. But, if they do it will be at an Ivy or school that otherwise they couldnt afford or get in as a regular student.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.