I guess my original point is that everyone who uses decoys doesn't just sit over them and wait. I personally use them as a finishing tactic on field birds when I have called a bird into the area. The scenario: you start calling to fire one up, then you get one to fire back. You're on the other side of the field from him, throw out a hen decoy and get ready. Would he have come without the hen? Maybe. But then again, maybe not. I like to give him something to look at so he doesn't get too suspicious. Sometimes they hang up just out of range of the decoys, and I try not to shoot farther than 35yds. Did they hang up because of the decoys, or is that just where he chose to sit there and strut for her? Again, I have no clue. I'm not even sure those devil birds know what they're doing sometimes. The field scenario is where I think decoys "can be" advantageous and so that's where I use them. I personally don't think they offer an advantage in the woods, so I don't use them there. The only sure bet is that there are no sure bets in turkey hunting. And that's why it's so damn fun. Always something new to try and learn.

Author, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass: An Adventure Across Southern Waters
JacksonKayak Fishing Team
---------------------------------------------------
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly