Joe4majors (or anyone else)…. when he gets to the part about the cows….don’t let that part pass you by because you think “I don’t have cows…this doesn’t apply to me.” Focus on the principles of what’s happening. We can still replicate many of the same things with or without cows. Here’s just one example of how we can tweak these same principles to fit individual needs. You could use an e-fence set-up on your 1 acre field to keep the deer off of it during part of the summer. Then when you take the fence down, your mob grazers will come in just like the cows in the video. Right now my tractor is my cow herd. I don’t get all of the benefits he is showing but I’m still moving in the same direction from the standpoint of soil health.

For someone like Riverwood….this idea of using cattle as a tool opens up all kinds of new options for land management. It also diversifies their portfolio beyond just timber income, etc. Fire is a great tool but it doesn’t bring you $1,000 per head. Mob grazing cattle around a property is also like having a litter truck constantly riding around spreading manure. Why pay to have chicken litter hauled in or synthetic fertilizers spread when all you have to do instead is to take an hour and run another strand of hotwire around the area you want to set back succession and fertilize at the same time.

I've also heard that the turkey's love pecking in the cow patties...... smile

Last edited by CNC; 04/17/15 05:58 AM.

We dont rent pigs