Southwood, there are several theories floating around, none of which do I really subscribe to yet. I think it's a combination of two late winter snow storms, spring arriving 7-10 days later than normal, and it has rained 5-6 days a week for the last several weeks. I personally have a hard time understanding how those factors could result in what so many people have seen, not only in AL, but several other SE states as well.

My primary property that usually produces 4-6 dead birds every season, I have not heard or seen a single gobbler on all year. Not one. I had 7-9 long beards on camera in winter. I've only seen two hens on that property. This same scenario is being repeated in nearly every county statewide. I've been asked by multiple hunters if I think we have lost them to disease. I don't think so. Turkeys were everywhere in the winter. If turkeys died on a large population level in large areas you'd find their remains.

In my opinion some environmental factor has told turkeys it's a good idea to keep quiet this year and break their normal routine. I finally killed my first bird of the year Wednesday morning. I was about to go insane. I've only sat down and called to one bird all year.