Gobbling was definitely down for me this year but I still saw a lot of birds and had some great hunts. A lot of people in my area reported a poor hatch last year but we held a huge winter flock of birds and had a ton of little ones too. I also saw several swarms of jakes running around so next year looks promising.

I'm still of firm belief that hunters harvesting gobblers has basically zero effect on turkey populations. Nesting success is far more important in my opinion and that is controlled by factors such as weather, predators, and habitat. There's not much that can be done about the weather, but the other two factors can be managed to an extent.

I did the daily hunter survey this year and recorded all of my hunts, but did not receive the email for this survey. I hope that it helps the state biologists make good decisions for the management of the state's population. I just hope that they remember that our 5 bird limit has been around for years and we continue to boast one of the largest turkey populations in the nation. With that being said, I don't see how they could justify reducing the limit.