Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
I'm going to bed PCP.

I wasn't trying to compare turkey and deer management as being similar. Only trying to make a point that just because we've done a particular thing one way forever doesn't mean it was the best thing to do

More later. When I wake up I'm sure I'll have to spend most of Saturday replying.

Go on to bed and sleep well! smile

I'll be around tomorrow, and then plan to be gone for 2 weeks, so y'all can reduce the limit while I'm gone and I won't even be around to complain. smile

And thanks for promising to get the data on # of limits from the hunter survey. I don't quite follow you when you said this:

>>>I promise to my name that I'm going to find out what percentage of people surveyed killed a limit. And that's all it will be. Only those surveyed. Also, I'd bet there are a lot of hunters you could add to the category if you included anyone who took 3 or more turkeys per year.<<<

The number of limits killed in the state can indeed be determined by the hunter survey, within the limits of the study, of course. And it should be relatively easy to determine the number that also killed 4, and thus figure out how many turkeys a reduction in limit to 3 would theoretically "save."

The study put out by your department says this:

>>>A measure of the degree of the uncertainty or “sampling error” associated with each estimate
can be determined by analysis of the variability in the survey data. The statistical term for this
measure is the “standard error” of the estimate. Standard errors tend to vary with the
magnitude of their estimates and are difficult to use for general comparison of the level of
uncertainty among estimates. A better index for judging the level of uncertainty is the relative
standard error, i.e., the ratio of the standard error over the estimate. Relative standard errors,
expressed on a percent basis, are provided in the tables along with the estimates and standard
errors for this survey. An estimate with a low percent standard error is more reliable and has
less uncertainty associated with it. Estimates with a percentage standard error less than 15%
are reliable enough to be useful in making management decisions.<<<

The standard error for the total state turkey harvest was 7.2%. I believe that the survey will give us an estimate of the number of limits in the state that will be a worthwhile number that is scientifically valid. It might be off by up to 7.2%, but that could mean that the survey says 100 limits were taken when the actual number is 107. Of course, I realize its not quite that simple, but that's close to being an accurate explanation. Whatever the number is, it will give us a better idea of how much real effect the 5 bird limit has on the turkeys.

I still don't think the folks above you will let you post the number. Prove me wrong. smile

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.