Originally Posted By: gobbler
Doing well PCP, but I couldn't stand it anymore grin

Originally Posted By: Matt Brock

Nest success can be negatively impacted if gobblers are harvested too soon.

Please provide a citation with this statement

Heck I wish we could kill 10 a season. But obviously that's not very wise.

Please explain in real terms, not conjecture, why

Poult recruitment is declining statewide. If gobblers are being harvested before peak breeding by more hunters in a declining population I invite any of you to help me understand how that's not a negative scenario that will continue the decline.

I'll take that invitation! laugh The FAR majority of hens are bred before almost anyone in Alabama has filled their 5 bird limit. Please explain how killing a 4th or 5th bird in the last week of April will effect the population. I usually see my first batch of poults in the last week of April. I am going to estimate peak hatch in the 2nd week of May to last of May (lets call it the 23rd). That makes peak breeding March 15 - shouldn't be much breeding impact by adult gobbler harvest by that day?!

I think I've read or discussed nearly every mortality/survival, nest success, habitat use paper ever written on turkeys in the south. Some of these questions we can hopefully answer through the current research. Than providing some citations shouldn't be a problem grin

Gobbler you do understand I hope, of all people, that what occurs in central and south AL is not what occurs in north AL. Do you see TN or North Carolina opening up there seasons in March?

Mitchell Marks, who recently retired, had data for several north AL counties for decades on the changes in season timing and the result to the turkey populations. Each time season was opened in the month of March, the result was an immediate drop in population, to the point of shutting seasons down for years to allow recovery. It was a direct result of season length and timing. People were over harvesting gobblers while they were still in winter flocks. Since the season has been pushed back to April we haven't seen that problem. Hopefully we will get some breeding data for north AL soon and we will know when the peak breeding times are up here. I'm assuming now it's not what you're seeing down there.