Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Matt, thanks for all the info and for taking time to post on aldeer. I do appreciate it, and don't forget that I asked you to be my Commissioner when I get elected governor. smile

I guess this coulda been directed at somebody else, but I seem to be the most likely suspect:

>>>Another observation of mine is the ones who seem to have the biggest problem with change are the ones happily killing their limit each season, not experiencing a decline, and are determined to do it their way regardless of what the research indicates, and with no regard for the resource. <<<

I will plead guilty to trying to kill my limit, and we haven't had a decline on my properties. But I am certainly not against change when research indicates we need it. I had heard of some of the studies you mentioned, but as gobbler said, it looks like a change in the starting date of the season would address those issues, not a change in the limit. I can remember when the season was March 20-April 25 every year, and they still had a 5 bird limit. As they gradually increased the season, it didn't seem to impact the population.

IF research could somehow prove that a reduction in the limit was truly needed to protect the population, then I would certainly be for it. But if we are going to even have a discussion on reducing the limit for a research based reason, it appears to me that the first thing we all need to know is how many limits are killed. The fact that the state won't release that figure is concerning to me, and I think you can see why. They sure didn't mind publicizing the number of hunters that were killing more than 3 bucks when we had that debate. I don't remember the numbers used, but they were quoted often on this site.

But the part about having "no regard for the resource" bothers me indeed. I have been a strong advocate for the wild turkey all of my adult life. I have vigorously opposed the killing of hens, and was willing to support the protection on jakes before gobbler convinced me it was a bad idea. I've opposed doing away with daily limits because I think it leads to massacres of bachelor flocks in the early season. All of this was just talk, and probably worthless as far as protecting any turkeys.

But I can claim to have done a lot of habitat improvement to actually produce more turkeys. That does benefit me, but it also benefits all my neighbors. I doubt there are many amateur turkey managers who spend as large a % of their time and money to benefit turkeys. And I've always tried to share what I've learned with others so they can do the same. I don't think the "no regard for the resource" is deserved.

I'm not against change when it's needed. I just think it oughta be change that actually accomplishes something. I hope the committee will make sure that any changes they propose are truly needed and proven to work.

A good evening to all! I am in Cheyenne, OK; hoping to go out tomorrow and rape and pillage their resources. smile

Remember, don't kill but one per day because it's bad for the turkeys. wink

83% of all statistics are made up.