Originally Posted By: IDOT
Originally Posted By: bill

The point is you don't arm police to do jobs the military was meant to do unless you want to further the divide between law enforcement and the public and unless you are willing to see an ever increasing transfer of power and a decline in liberty.

Bill, you're blinded by the trees. What "Military Jobs" are the police doing?

I didn't say they were already doing it. If you aren't planning a picnic what's with the basket and fried chicken? If they aren't planning military style policing then why the need for military style weapons? What I will say some Police departments are already doing is using their swat teams in freedom infringement ways. I don't want those types having even greater power to trample citizens constitutional rights and I don't want them to have the ability to gear up for war against the general population. It wouldn't be done in a fashion that alarmed most people. It would be done under the guise of keeping the peace and for the safety of the citizens. Do you remember when the police put the citizens on lock down and did illegal searches while looking for the Boston bomber? You might think it's ok because it was for safety reasons but you can't imprison the citizens just because the police want to. There is a constitution that needs to be adhered to.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard