Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
Jsg
those were some good points. But i believe swat trainging was designed around military tactics. Apc's are/can used offensively. A 40a mil is a grenade launcher. And it doesnt save money to get it for free if it is rarely used and has to be maintained for training purposes only. I dont mean to sound rude, just trying to keep it short cause I'm typing on the phone

No worries. I'm a big early cuyler fan.

I guess I'll surrender to your APCs can be used offensively but only if you mean offensive in the same way a truck can be used offensively, the only difference between the two being the person in the APC isn't as vulnerable to small arms fire. I cannot imagine a situation where police using an APC would result a civilian being killed who would not be killed without it and many situations where the APC will/has/does/ will continue to save lives.

A 37mm and 40mm of the type used by police are launchers. They are used to launch clear out, tear gas, and impact weapons. No grenades, ever. Not ever ever. They do not come with grenades and law enforcement agencies cannot purchase grenades for them. The models available to police are not, as far as i know, able to launch grenades. They may look similar to grenade launchers employed by the military and indeed, they are similar, however they do not launch grenades and are thus not grenade launchers.

SWAT tactics are police tactics. The military started working on hostage rescue tactics after the failure of Operation Eagle Claw in the 1980s. Police officers have been doing hostage rescue/arrests without killing in the United States since the beginning of the United States. Obviously tactics have changed and evolved over the years and there has been some overlap because of military missions in the last 20 years but entering structures and leaving people alive are police goals not military goals.

Last edited by JSOG47; 05/20/15 02:50 PM.