Originally Posted By: crenshawco
It surprises me that on such a conservative, second amendment protecting, southern, website, that we have this many people who feel the need to have local police forces armed better than some terrorist armies. I mean we do live in Alabama, not Afghanistan. I would think that most of us feel sufficiently equipped to protect ourself and our families from any ordinary crime that occurs on a somewhat frequent basis. I understand that there are situations and events that dictate a larger force or control than standard weaponry or police forces can provide, and that is why we have separate organizations to step in in these instances.

Bill has referred to it several times now, but I think a lot of you could use a history lesson on the failure of democracies, and the cycles, stages, and events that lead to their failure.

There really aren't as many as it may seem. There are several law enforcement officers involved in this thread. They are just regurgitating their training. JSOG47 is the latest to join the discussion. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain he is or was law enforcement just based on what he has said so far.

Also, even some conservatives are willing to give up freedom for safety. Bush was one of the worst offenders of liberty in modern day America and many conservatives love the guy.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard