So this is right in line with what nt2 and I were just talking about with producing summer biomass. This also goes back to what I’ve said in earlier posts that if you are just starting out and your first goal is to produce biomass to cover and feed the soil….then you would be better off just growing summer weeds and clover…..

Here is a case in point. This is my apple orchard where I’m growing clover and “weeds”. You can see that in the time I’ve been fiddle fuggin around with planting the test field, that will ultimately just be wiped out,….my weeds and clover have already produced a nice crop of summer biomass and is now ready to mow, release the clover, and produce a second crop of biomass. If you are just starting out and trying to get OM to your soil…then which way is going to produce faster results??…..2-3+ crops of OM like in my apple orchard??…or 1 struggling crop of cowpeas and sunflowers or whatever??

I've already mowed between the rows. No shortage of clover in the understory. You can see in the tree rows the type of standing biomass I mowed down.

Last edited by CNC; 05/31/15 07:31 AM.

We dont rent pigs