</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
FS: 28” H&K stamped Super Black Eagle
by Luvbowhuntn. 09/16/24 11:52 AM
Ruger New Single six 22lr
by Bows4evr. 09/16/24 09:11 AM
ATV Rims needed
by limabean. 09/16/24 08:31 AM
440C hammered finish gut hook Sambar stag FOR SALE
by Skullworks. 09/16/24 08:21 AM
PSA 300bo complete upper only
by Tailwalk7. 09/15/24 08:01 PM
Serious Deer Talk
ATV Drag
by donia. 09/16/24 01:16 PM
Liquid lime
by Rainbowstew. 09/16/24 09:35 AM
Corn Prices
by cgardner. 09/15/24 06:32 PM
Hunter's Education Class
by desertdog. 09/15/24 05:25 PM
One door closes
by Pwyse. 09/14/24 10:21 PM
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a fella on here
by BBD23. 09/11/24 02:03 PM
Lease bought by The Conservation Fund
by goin_out_west. 09/09/24 08:01 PM
Russell county club
by BryanfromAU. 09/08/24 11:06 AM
Greene County Club (Union) - Full Rights - Private
by DuckDown11. 08/29/24 02:36 PM
Coosa County Lease on AFOA
by PYhunter. 08/28/24 09:38 PM
Who's Online Now
136 registered members (Remington270, Chiller, 007, rutwad, effinacotton, odocoileus, BhamFred, CKyleC, jlbuc10, Gobble4me757, Jstocks, doc bar, Alb, courseup, 1shot, Bows4evr, CNC, Fullthrottle, Reaper, Lvlhdd, Spotchaser8, SwampHunter, abolt300, rwh1, biglmbass, Coosa1, Showout, Whiskey9, MTeague, bamamed1, Buck2020, AU7MM08, Shaneomac2, abamadude, Fattyfireplug, jtillery, BAR II .270, Mack1, Reptar, auman, aucountry, Goatkiller, chill, BC_Reb, Canterberry, Raspy, burbank, Poplar_Springs, UncleHuck, hallb, hamma, AustinC, desertdog, Tall Dog, GomerPyle, Stu, slippinlipjr, canvasback, Haybale, Skillet, buck_buster, bama_earl, pvillehunter, Parkerwagner, hunter84, Mulcher, ronfromramer, cdaddy14, Lhop13, Gunpowder, BamaBoHunter, Jdkprp70, Bruno, Lil_Fella, Young20, RAmerica, sawdust, SC53, WC82, Gary Harris, Rainbowstew, Chancetribe, JAT, eclipse829, JohnG, GUT_SHOT, Ryano, taggedout, blade, Tree Dweller, BCLC, Morgan, jmj120, Luvbowhuntn, JohnnyLoco, Turkey, sumpter_al, Geeb, Dean, aubigmac, joshm28, BPI, fr8-shkr, Downwind, WINMAG300, Semo, Rip Wheeler, WMEC615, CCC, Driveby, stl32, M48scout, Sheepdog, hawndog, johnv, crenshawco, RSmith, sw1002, HHSyelper, CrappieMan, Huntn2feed5, jbatey1, 14 invisible), 378 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: bgarrett] #1380686
06/30/15 09:33 AM
06/30/15 09:33 AM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Originally Posted By: bgarrett
yes bamarich2 I think it is the only way to salvation. I have been dipped twice but was only saved once.

Ok... thanks for clarifying. IF the baptism of the NT is referring to "Holy Spirit baptism", I have a couple of passages I'd like you to study with me.

First, Acts 8:4-17. After arriving in Samaria, Philip preached Christ to the people and those truths were accompanied by the working of miracles - which effectively caused many to realize the message was from God (not man). Verse 12 indicates that upon hearing the good news of Christ, many believed and were baptized. An important distinction is made in verse 14 - these people of Samaria had "received the word of God". "Received" is a word that is consistently used in the NT to describe the acceptance of God's offer of salvation. Thus, the language used here by Luke clearly shows these people were saved. Verse 16, though, indicates they had NOT received the Holy Spirit... in fact, the text says "He had not yet fallen on any of them." My question to you... when were they saved - before or after the Holy Spirit had fallen on them? IF the baptism which saves is Holy Spirit baptism, why does the text read as it does?

Second... Romans 6:4. After addressing the topic of "can we continue to live sinful lives so that grace may abound," Paul referred back to their baptism... but which of the two baptisms was it (baptism into water or Holy Spirit baptism)? The illustration used in the text will clearly determine the answer. Without question, we participate in a reenactment of Christ's death in our baptism. There is (1) a burial and (2) and being raised up. Question, IF the baptism spoken of here is "Holy Spirit baptism," how can one be "buried" (immersed) in the Holy Spirit, but then be "raised" out of the Holy Spirit? Question... does water baptism "fit" the illustration? We're buried (immersed) in water... and we're raised up out of that water, and as a result we do just as Jesus did when He was "buried" and "raised".

Now... make no mistake about it, the water doesn't have the power. No more than the bronze serpent in Numbers 21:4ff healed people of being bitten by serpents. What cured them that day was their willingness to trust in God's command (look upon the image) and obey it. Question... what if the people on that day wouldn't trust God enough to look upon the serpent? According to the theology that many people use today, all they had to do was "trust" in God... they didn't have to obey in order to be healed. Acts 22:16 and 1 Peter 3:21 clearly state that a person is not saved until baptism. Saul believed in Christ (and likely repented)... but he still had sins "to wash away" before being baptized. Peter indicated that when we submit to being baptized, it saves us - and we can stand before God with clean consciences because we have submitted to His will.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1380693
06/30/15 09:47 AM
06/30/15 09:47 AM
Walker county
Driveby Online content
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Online Content
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Originally Posted By: 300gr
When peter was asked what MUST we do to be saved his reply was "repent AND be baptized" was his reply. This came from one of the 12 closest people to Christ. He walked with him and studied directly under Jesus. So im going to believe him versus mans opinion. You wanted a straight forward answer .That was it. Of course
Belief,repentance,confession are also required which are not mentioned in this verse BUT are mentioned in other verses.
***Somebody show me scripture and verse where one was saved in the new testament 1. when they were alone, 2. by saying the "sinners prayer". It simply doesnt exist

Yes it does!
Luke 18:13-14 King James Version (KJV)

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The publican wasn't a New Testament Christian at that time....still an Old Testament Jew.
I would like to say something in regard to the posts asking "what if" a certain thing happens such as the man in jail mentioned earlier or the scenario of someone getting killed on their way to be baptized. I will not perform God's job and pass final judgement on someone in a situation like this. However.... for someone to know the truth and willfully refuse to obey is a totally different thing. I content that baptism is an act of obedience. Can we not agree that someone who disobeys a command of God is in sin?
Why would anyone knowingly disregard something that is mentioned in the New Testament so many times? To me it would be like disregarding that spot that popped up suddenly. The Mrs. Might tell you to go to the doctor and you may argue with her it's nothing. Yeah it might not be skin cancer and everything might be just fine.....but why take that chance?

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: bowhunter86] #1380706
06/30/15 10:00 AM
06/30/15 10:00 AM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Originally Posted By: bowhunter86
For it is by grace through faith alone, not as a result of good works, so that God alone gets the glory. Ephesians 2:8

If you were to die today and stand before God and he asks why should I let you in the response better not be anything to do with works that you did on earth. God freely gives salvation to all that want it (emphasis on freely because it is not earned) and the way to get it is really simple. Know that you know that you know that Jesus died and was resurrected by God for our sins. If you truly accept Jesus as your personal savior then the "good works" will naturally follow because of the change that is done within you. Yes Jesus wanted us to be baptized and as a christian you should most definitely do so, but to say it's a requirement to get to heaven is foolish in my book.

Of course demons believe in Jesus, they probably watched him be resurrected. They do not however have faith in Jesus. Believing and having faith are different. But their fate is already sealed, there is no second chance for them. They are fallen angels and to my knowledge didn't posses a soul to be saved in the first place.

So you got the glory because you came to my house and picked up the million dollars... really? You'd go around and brag that somehow you'd earned that million because you complied with my request for you to receive the gift?

You utilize an interesting word in your first paragraph - "faith alone". Martin Luther, in his theology, because of his staunch insistence regarding the absence of human action in the salvation process, inserted the word "only" in Romans 3:28. He also rejected the book of James as truly being part of the NT canon. Why? Because he knew that James deals a deathblow to the entire idea of "faith alone salvation"... aka "there's no obedience necessary salvation".

Clark and others in this thread have repeatedly mentioned Romans 4:3... citing the OT example of Abraham. What they have NOT cited is James 2:20-21. In verse 21 it says "was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?" One passage says one thing and another seems to directly contract it... what to do?

Things to remember when viewing passages which seem to contradict themselves:
(1) Is the same thing/person under consideration?
(2) Is the same time period in view?
(3) Are the terms being used in the exact same sense?

Applying these rules to the two passages, this is what we come up with...
(1) Abraham and his salvation is under consideration.
(2) Romans 4 deals with a promise God made to Abraham regarding His offspring; James 2 deals with God's command to kill Isaac (note... two different situations are under consideration)
(3) The term "works"... what does the term in Romans 4:2 mean? The immediate context (3:28) gives us the answer - "For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law" ("the law" is the Law of Moses). The "works" cited in James 2 completes one's faith (22), justify a person (24), and make faith "alive" (26). Or, in other words, "faith only" without THESE works means a person has a "dead and incomplete faith" which fails to justify the individual. Since Romans states the works of the law cannot justify a person and has no connection to one's salvation, it seem clear the "works" mentioned in Romans 3/4 are NOT the "works" referred to in James 2.

Yes... there are "works" that we must do in order to receive the gift of salvation that God offers. Saying a prayer - that's a work. Believing in one's heart - that's a work. Confessing one's sin to God - that's a work. Those of you who claim that we must do SOMETHING in response to God's offer of grace - that's a "work". Somehow or another, some of you have bought the idea that baptism is a "work", but "belief in Christ" isn't... or that the Sinner's Prayer isn't a "work", but baptism is. A "work" is ANYTHING a person must do in response to God's grace.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: Driveby] #1380729
06/30/15 10:22 AM
06/30/15 10:22 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Driveby
When peter was asked what MUST we do to be saved his reply was "repent AND be baptized" was his reply. This came from one of the 12 closest people to Christ. He walked with him and studied directly under Jesus. So im going to believe him versus mans opinion. You wanted a straight forward answer .That was it. Of course
Belief,repentance,confession are also required which are not mentioned in this verse BUT are mentioned in other verses.
***Somebody show me scripture and verse where one was saved in the new testament 1. when they were alone, 2. by saying the "sinners prayer". It simply doesnt exist

Yes it does!
Luke 18:13-14 King James Version (KJV)

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The publican wasn't a New Testament Christian at that time....still an Old Testament Jew.
I would like to say something in regard to the posts asking "what if" a certain thing happens such as the man in jail mentioned earlier or the scenario of someone getting killed on their way to be baptized. I will not perform God's job and pass final judgement on someone in a situation like this. However.... for someone to know the truth and willfully refuse to obey is a totally different thing. I content that baptism is an act of obedience. Can we not agree that someone who disobeys a command of God is in sin?
Why would anyone knowingly disregard something that is mentioned in the New Testament so many times? To me it would be like disregarding that spot that popped up suddenly. The Mrs. Might tell you to go to the doctor and you may argue with her it's nothing. Yeah it might not be skin cancer and everything might be just fine.....but why take that chance?

Not a new Testament Christian? How does that make any difference? Are you telling me that they had a better covenant than we do? I've said this many times already but I'll say it again.The Old Testament saints were saved the same way that we are by the same Jesus. They were saved by grace through faith in the sacrifice. In their case they just had the shadow of the true sacrifice.

Concerning the rest of your post you bring up some good points.

Can we not agree that someone who disobeys a command of God is in sin?
Yes, I agree but let me ask this question. Does a person become unsaved every time they commit sin,NO! A person isn't rejected every time they sin and then they repent and they are accepted again. The blood of Jesus continually cleanses us from all sin. Should we repent? Absolutely,yes,but not because we loose our salvation,because sin hurts us in every way and keeps us from accomplishing all that we otherwise could.

Why would anyone knowingly disregard something that is mentioned in the New Testament so many times?
Excellent question,and something that should be addressed if that is the case in the life of a particular person.I said earlier that I would be very concerned about a person who didn't want to be baptized,or for that matter a professed Christian who given enough time still didn't show any fruit at all.

What it boils down to is that I can say any prayer or be baptized in water a hundred times but if there is no heart change,there is no salvation. It's the heart change that's critical. That's exactly what Jesus was illustrating with this parable of the publican and the pharisee. The pharisee did all the right things and was assured in himself because of his own actions but there was no heart change. The publican saw his sin and asked for mercy. He was repentant and was therefore justified,not by his outward actions but by his change of heart.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: Bamarich2] #1380735
06/30/15 10:30 AM
06/30/15 10:30 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bamarich2
For it is by grace through faith alone, not as a result of good works, so that God alone gets the glory. Ephesians 2:8

If you were to die today and stand before God and he asks why should I let you in the response better not be anything to do with works that you did on earth. God freely gives salvation to all that want it (emphasis on freely because it is not earned) and the way to get it is really simple. Know that you know that you know that Jesus died and was resurrected by God for our sins. If you truly accept Jesus as your personal savior then the "good works" will naturally follow because of the change that is done within you. Yes Jesus wanted us to be baptized and as a christian you should most definitely do so, but to say it's a requirement to get to heaven is foolish in my book.

Of course demons believe in Jesus, they probably watched him be resurrected. They do not however have faith in Jesus. Believing and having faith are different. But their fate is already sealed, there is no second chance for them. They are fallen angels and to my knowledge didn't posses a soul to be saved in the first place.

So you got the glory because you came to my house and picked up the million dollars... really? You'd go around and brag that somehow you'd earned that million because you complied with my request for you to receive the gift?

You utilize an interesting word in your first paragraph - "faith alone". Martin Luther, in his theology, because of his staunch insistence regarding the absence of human action in the salvation process, inserted the word "only" in Romans 3:28. He also rejected the book of James as truly being part of the NT canon. Why? Because he knew that James deals a deathblow to the entire idea of "faith alone salvation"... aka "there's no obedience necessary salvation".

Clark and others in this thread have repeatedly mentioned Romans 4:3... citing the OT example of Abraham. What they have NOT cited is James 2:20-21. In verse 21 it says "was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?" One passage says one thing and another seems to directly contract it... what to do?

(2) Romans 4 deals with a promise God made to Abraham regarding His offspring; James 2 deals with God's command to kill Isaac (note... two different situations are under consideration)
(3) The term "works"... what does the term in Romans 4:2 mean? The immediate context (3:28) gives us the answer - "For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law" ("the law" is the Law of Moses). The "works" cited in James 2 completes one's faith (22), justify a person (24), and make faith "alive" (26). Or, in other words, "faith only" without THESE works means a person has a "dead and incomplete faith" which fails to justify the individual. Since Romans states the works of the law cannot justify a person and has no connection to one's salvation, it seem clear the "works" mentioned in Romans 3/4 are NOT the "works" referred to in James 2.

Yes... there are "works" that we must do in order to receive the gift of salvation that God offers. Saying a prayer - that's a work. Believing in one's heart - that's a work. Confessing one's sin to God - that's a work. Those of you who claim that we must do SOMETHING in response to God's offer of grace - that's a "work". Somehow or another, some of you have bought the idea that baptism is a "work", but "belief in Christ" isn't... or that the Sinner's Prayer isn't a "work", but baptism is. A "work" is ANYTHING a person must do in response to God's grace.

You are completely wrong.
Context is Everything

It is erroneous to take a verse, read it without its context, and then attempt to develop a doctrine from that verse alone. Therefore, let's take a look at the context of James 2:24 which says that a man is justified by works. James chapter 2 has 26 verses: Verses 1-7 instruct us not to show favoritism. Verses 8-13 are comments on the Law. Verses 14-26 are about the relationship between faith and works.

James two

Notice that James begins this section by using the example of someone who says he has faith--verse 14. He then immediately gives an example of what true and false faiths are. He begins with the negative and demonstrates what an empty faith is (verses 15-17). Then he gives an example of the type of faith that isn't much different from the faith of demons (verse 19). Finally, he gives examples of living faith by showing Abraham and Rahab as the type of people who demonstrated their faith by their deeds.

James is examining two kinds of faith: one that leads to godly works and one that does not. One is true, and the other is false. One is dead, the other alive; hence, "Faith without works is dead." (James 2:20).

This is why in the middle of his section on faith and works, he says in verse 19, "You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder." James says this because the demons believe in God; that is, they have faith, but the faith they have is useless. It does not result in appropriate works. Their faith is only a mental acknowledgment of God's existence.

Ascentia and Fiducia

Two words are worth introducing here: ascentia and fiducia. Ascentia is the mental assent--the mental acknowledgment of something's existence. The demons acknowledge and believe that God exists. Fiducia is more than mental acknowledgment. It involves a trust in something--a giving over to it, a complete believing and acceptance of something. This is the kind of faith that a Christian has in Christ. A Christian, therefore, has fiducia; that is, he has real faith and trust in Christ and not simply an acknowledgment that He lived on earth at one time. Another way to put this is that there are many people in the world who believed that Jesus lived: ascentia. But they do not believe that He is their savior, the one to whom they should look and trust for the forgiveness of their sins.

Ascentia does not lead to works. Fiducia does. Ascentia is not of the heart. Fiducia is.

What is James Saying?

James is simply saying that if you say' you are a Christian, then there had better be some appropriate works manifested, or your faith is false. This sentiment is echoed in 1 John 2:4 which says, "If you say you have come to know Him, yet you do not keep His commandments, then the truth is not in you and you are a liar."

Apparently, there were people who were saying they were Christians but were not manifesting any of the fruit of Christianity. Can this faith justify? Can the dead faith' that someone has which produces no change in a person and no good works before men and God be a faith that justifies? Absolutely not. It is not merely enough to say you believe in Jesus. You must actually believe and trust in Him. If you actually do, then you will demonstrate that faith by a changed and godly life. If not, then your profession is of no more value than the same profession of demons: "We believe Jesus lived."

Notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul uses to support the teaching of justification by faith in Rom. 4:3. James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'" If James was trying to teach a contradictory doctrine of faith and works than the other New Testament writers, then he would not have used Abraham as an example.

Therefore, we are justified by faith. That is, we are made righteous in the eyes of God by faith as is amply demonstrated by Romans. However, that faith, if it is true, will result in deeds appropriate to salvation. After all, didn't God say in Eph. 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1380756
06/30/15 11:08 AM
06/30/15 11:08 AM
West Florida
westflgator Offline
10 point
westflgator  Offline
10 point
West Florida
Originally Posted By: Bamarich2

Context is Everything

It is erroneous to take a verse, read it without its context, and then attempt to develop a doctrine from that verse alone. Therefore, let's take a look at the context of James 2:24 which says that a man is justified by works. James chapter 2 has 26 verses: Verses 1-7 instruct us not to show favoritism. Verses 8-13 are comments on the Law. Verses 14-26 are about the relationship between faith and works.

James two

Notice that James begins this section by using the example of someone who says he has faith--verse 14. He then immediately gives an example of what true and false faiths are. He begins with the negative and demonstrates what an empty faith is (verses 15-17). Then he gives an example of the type of faith that isn't much different from the faith of demons (verse 19). Finally, he gives examples of living faith by showing Abraham and Rahab as the type of people who demonstrated their faith by their deeds.

James is examining two kinds of faith: one that leads to godly works and one that does not. One is true, and the other is false. One is dead, the other alive; hence, "Faith without works is dead." (James 2:20).

This is why in the middle of his section on faith and works, he says in verse 19, "You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder." James says this because the demons believe in God; that is, they have faith, but the faith they have is useless. It does not result in appropriate works. Their faith is only a mental acknowledgment of God's existence.

Ascentia and Fiducia

Two words are worth introducing here: ascentia and fiducia. Ascentia is the mental assent--the mental acknowledgment of something's existence. The demons acknowledge and believe that God exists. Fiducia is more than mental acknowledgment. It involves a trust in something--a giving over to it, a complete believing and acceptance of something. This is the kind of faith that a Christian has in Christ. A Christian, therefore, has fiducia; that is, he has real faith and trust in Christ and not simply an acknowledgment that He lived on earth at one time. Another way to put this is that there are many people in the world who believed that Jesus lived: ascentia. But they do not believe that He is their savior, the one to whom they should look and trust for the forgiveness of their sins.

Ascentia does not lead to works. Fiducia does. Ascentia is not of the heart. Fiducia is.

What is James Saying?

James is simply saying that if you say' you are a Christian, then there had better be some appropriate works manifested, or your faith is false. This sentiment is echoed in 1 John 2:4 which says, "If you say you have come to know Him, yet you do not keep His commandments, then the truth is not in you and you are a liar."

Apparently, there were people who were saying they were Christians but were not manifesting any of the fruit of Christianity. Can this faith justify? Can the dead faith' that someone has which produces no change in a person and no good works before men and God be a faith that justifies? Absolutely not. It is not merely enough to say you believe in Jesus. You must actually believe and trust in Him. If you actually do, then you will demonstrate that faith by a changed and godly life. If not, then your profession is of no more value than the same profession of demons: "We believe Jesus lived."

Notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul uses to support the teaching of justification by faith in Rom. 4:3. James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'" If James was trying to teach a contradictory doctrine of faith and works than the other New Testament writers, then he would not have used Abraham as an example.

Therefore, we are justified by faith. That is, we are made righteous in the eyes of God by faith as is amply demonstrated by Romans. However, that faith, if it is true, will result in deeds appropriate to salvation. After all, didn't God say in Eph. 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Very good post. Bottom line I think most of us on this board believe that obedience to Christ is evidence of our salvation. I don't think many Christians on this board believe in "easy believism" which says just come forward, confess Christ, and live like hell cause you have your ticket punched. So most of us believe in the importance of obedience, because of that I'm sure that most of us who profess Christ as Saviour on this board have followed Christ in baptism.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380770
06/30/15 11:28 AM
06/30/15 11:28 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Well shucks, I'm hurt, y'all totally ignored my post! grin Can anybody answer WHEN salvation occurs, and HOW (if it indeed requires baptism)? What is the baptism doing, not figuratively, but literally? And I need more than "remission of sin", I want to know HOW the sins are forgiven by baptism. I need the specs, so to speak. Because the only way for anybody to win the debate is to inarguably declare when new birth occurs, and I would need an apologetics-type explanation using more than just a qouted verse(s). Another way of asking the question is what hasn't happened already, that baptism does?

The reason I'm asking for that is because other things I believe (aside from baptism, which I consider a sacrament, but am fine if you want to call it an ordinance) cause me to say baptism is not required. Without a LONG exposition, let's just say the baptism is something akin to the official seal on a scroll. The salvation is complete (the scroll is written and rolled, wax is dripped on the fold to seal it), then the King stamps his signet ring for authenticity (baptism is like that signet ring). Baptism is a sacramental union (or spiritual relationship) between the sign and the thing signified. So it's not techinally a saving step, but it's not a symbolic gesture either--that would be unnecessary ritual.

Last edited by ikillbux; 06/30/15 01:17 PM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1380778
06/30/15 11:46 AM
06/30/15 11:46 AM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport

Context is Everything
I disagree completely with the first sentence, but wholly with the second.

It is erroneous to take a verse, read it without its context, and then attempt to develop a doctrine from that verse alone. I completely agree, but yet that is exactly what you do with Romans 4. The "works" referred to in 4:2 are the "works of the law". When Christ died and nailed the law of Moses to the cross, one could no longer obtain salvation via that law any longer..

James is examining two kinds of faith: one that leads to godly works and one that does not. Would agree with you here, but for word used in verse 24 - "justified". You used this word in speaking of the publican in Luke 18:14. If you see the way the word is used in Romans 4/5 it's clear that one's salvation is under discussion. When the word "justified" was used, it's clear that James was expanding the subject from just "good works".

This is why in the middle of his section on faith and works, he says in verse 19, "You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder." James says this because the demons believe in God; that is, they have faith, but the faith they have is useless. It does not result in appropriate works. Their faith is only a mental acknowledgment of God's existence. In other words, it's not a "saving faith". A "saving faith" includes obeying what God has asked one to do. Would God have saved Noah had he failed to obey in building the ark just because Noah was convicted that God could/would save him?

Ascentia and Fiducia If "ascentia" and "fiducia" were differentiated in the New Testament, I'd buy your argument. By the language employed in the Greek, the NT doesn't make a textual distinction from the "faith" of the demons in James 2 and that of the woman in Luke 8:43ff. Trying to redefine biblical terms to make a passage say what we want it to say isn't honest study.

Notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul uses to support the teaching of justification by faith in Rom. 4:3. James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'" You said nothing in your response about the type of "works" mentioned in Romans 4. "Works" there don't mean "any type of work", but rather "works prescribed by the law of Moses".

Therefore, we are justified by faith. Though you and I defined "faith" differently, I agree with the statement. James 2 is pretty clear that true faith involves both belief and actions.

After all, didn't God say in Eph. 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Interesting that the word "works" comes up again in Ephesians 2. The context of the passage is what occurred with the Gentiles regarding God's grace - how they were able to be part of God's family. Their membership into God's family didn't occur through the law of Moses - "the law of commandments" mentioned in 15. It came through Christ... something that the "works of the law" could never accomplish.

Two things distinguish us... the definition of "faith" and the definition of "works".

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380791
06/30/15 12:17 PM
06/30/15 12:17 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Regardless of who believes what and who has what Scripture to back it up, I'm just very humbled at the presence of Godly men who know their Bibles and know their Lord Jesus. Even if we disagree on some theological points, it is a very fulfilling time to be on Aldeer, for me at least.

I'd love for all of us to get together for one weekend to camp, fish, do a bible study, shoot skwerls, etc...

May God bless each and everyone of you and your families.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: Bamarich2] #1380794
06/30/15 12:21 PM
06/30/15 12:21 PM
Walker county
Driveby Online content
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Online Content
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
R_H.... What it boils down to is that I can say any prayer or be baptized in water a hundred times but if there is no heart change,there is no salvation.
On this, I'm in total agreement with you. If a change of heart wasn't required (along with other things) then I would round up the biggest baddest guys I could find and we would dunk everyone we came across. But since that's not the case then all we would accomplish is getting a bunch of people wet and mad. grin
Please don't think I'm trying to take away from the importance of faith or a change of heart because I'm not. I don't believe you can be saved without both.

The reason I keep referring to those under the old law is because they indeed did have to meetn different requirements than me. For example, I don't have to offer animal sacrifices and I don't have to travel to Jerusalem to worship at least once a year. I believe they are saved by the same thing you and I are saved by but they were also required to be obedient. It's just the things God laid out for them to obey are different than the things I am told to do. I'm no "wordsmith" so I hope that makes sense.

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380795
06/30/15 12:23 PM
06/30/15 12:23 PM
Walker county
Driveby Online content
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Online Content
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
Originally Posted By: straycat
Regardless of who believes what and who has what Scripture to back it up, I'm just very humbled at the presence of Godly men who know their Bibles and know their Lord Jesus. Even if we disagree on some theological points, it is a very fulfilling time to be on Aldeer, for me at least.

I'd love for all of us to get together for one weekend to camp, fish, do a bible study, shoot skwerls, etc...

I'm just glad we made it 9 pages without someone getting mad. wink

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380798
06/30/15 12:30 PM
06/30/15 12:30 PM
Nw al
F
Flatrockrunner Offline
4 point
Flatrockrunner  Offline
4 point
F
Nw al
Did God change the rules for salvation at any point in time? I have heard that Old Testament Jew were saved under the old covenant I've heard the thief in the cross didn't have to be baptized because Jesus hadn't risen yet. The problem with that is what about the possibly thousands of people who died practicing faith in God that didn't know that they now also needed to be baptized. God does not make exceptions or change the rules. God said I am the same today yesterday and tomorrow. Circumcision did not save people anymore than baptism does today. These are nothing more than symbols to show men that you have put total faith in God. I was baptized because it was commanded. God has made many other commandments if I miss one does that mean I'm not saved.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380803
06/30/15 12:35 PM
06/30/15 12:35 PM
Nw al
F
Flatrockrunner Offline
4 point
Flatrockrunner  Offline
4 point
F
Nw al
Let me clarify also that if a man refuses to be baptized then he proly didn't get saved in the first place. I don't want anyone to think that I think baptism shouldn't be done or anything. If a man has been saved there will be no question of wanting to follow commands.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: Driveby] #1380808
06/30/15 12:43 PM
06/30/15 12:43 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Driveby
R_H.... What it boils down to is that I can say any prayer or be baptized in water a hundred times but if there is no heart change,there is no salvation.
On this, I'm in total agreement with you. If a change of heart wasn't required (along with other things) then I would round up the biggest baddest guys I could find and we would dunk everyone we came across. But since that's not the case then all we would accomplish is getting a bunch of people wet and mad. grin
Please don't think I'm trying to take away from the importance of faith or a change of heart because I'm not. I don't believe you can be saved without both.

The reason I keep referring to those under the old law is because they indeed did have to meetn different requirements than me. For example, I don't have to offer animal sacrifices and I don't have to travel to Jerusalem to worship at least once a year. I believe they are saved by the same thing you and I are saved by but they were also required to be obedient. It's just the things God laid out for them to obey are different than the things I am told to do. I'm no "wordsmith" so I hope that makes sense.

The animal sacrifices all were shadows of the sacrifice of Jesus.

We are basically in agreement. I do believe that the faith that saves someone is the same faith that causes him to be baptized. I would also question a faith (wondering if it were dead) that did not lead men to baptism and good works. The two go hand in hand.

What I strongly object to are legalistic notions concerning baptism. I've seen people grievously wounded when some minister proclaimed them Hell bound because they weren't baptized properly. I've also seen families hurt because they knew their deceased loved one had died after repenting in church yet hadn't been baptized. These things ought not to be!

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380819
06/30/15 01:17 PM
06/30/15 01:17 PM
Guntersville
AC870 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AC870  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Guntersville
Originally Posted By: straycat

Agree with Straycat.

“Killing tomorrow’s trophies today.”

On the distance I like to walk to my stands:
“The first 100 yards is also the last 100 yards.”
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380857
06/30/15 02:00 PM
06/30/15 02:00 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
New American Standard Bible
Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380859
06/30/15 02:01 PM
06/30/15 02:01 PM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Everybody study the word. It is not written to be dissected and analyzed under a microscope by scientists to determime meaning. It was written in a way anybody can understand if they put forth the effort. If the preacher says something contrary to what the word says you better be hitting the door. God bless

Last edited by 300gr; 06/30/15 02:06 PM.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1380895
06/30/15 02:49 PM
06/30/15 02:49 PM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
Booner
ridgestalker  Offline
Booner
R
North Jackson
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Everybody study the word. It is not written to be dissected and analyzed under a microscope by scientists to determime meaning. It was written in a way anybody can understand if they put forth the effort. If the preacher says something contrary to what the word says you better be hitting the door. God bless

Amen thumbup

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1380921
06/30/15 03:28 PM
06/30/15 03:28 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama

Darn that Peter,on the very next page in Acts 3:17 he completely forgot to tell everyone that they needed water to be saved.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1380925
06/30/15 03:35 PM
06/30/15 03:35 PM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point

Darn that Peter,on the very next page in Acts 3:17 he completely forgot to tell everyone that they needed water to be saved.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Ahh grasshopper but he did say repent and be baptized that cant be swept under a rug. There was no need to repeat what he just said about being baptized.

Last edited by 300gr; 06/30/15 03:36 PM.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.