</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Husky X-Act Contour floor liners 09-14 F150
by AHolcomb. 09/18/24 05:44 PM
35-12.50-18 Trail Grapplers
by AHolcomb. 09/18/24 05:37 PM
BCA 9mm upper
by k bush. 09/18/24 05:08 PM
Tikka t3
by 1faststang. 09/18/24 04:29 PM
20 Inch GMC Wheels and Tires
by desertdog. 09/18/24 02:23 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Corn Prices
by Buckwheat. 09/18/24 06:43 PM
2024-2025 SOA Hunts
by Antelope08. 09/18/24 04:52 PM
The Georgia Opener........
by BPI. 09/18/24 04:51 PM
Manure pellets?
by jdhunter2011. 09/18/24 10:47 AM
Companion clover
by fr8-shkr. 09/17/24 10:03 PM
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a fella on here
by BBD23. 09/11/24 02:03 PM
Lease bought by The Conservation Fund
by goin_out_west. 09/09/24 08:01 PM
Russell county club
by BryanfromAU. 09/08/24 11:06 AM
Greene County Club (Union) - Full Rights - Private
by DuckDown11. 08/29/24 02:36 PM
Coosa County Lease on AFOA
by PYhunter. 08/28/24 09:38 PM
Who's Online Now
158 registered members (BearBranch, MR3391, 000buck, 4Him146, Young20, jhardy, centralala, Chaser357, russellb, dquick1, 25-20, doublefistful, phinfan, WC82, BobK, CouchNapper, BhamFred, TDog93, Bandit635, mzzy, Ron A., NorthFork, Safetyman, Claims Rep., Paint Rock 00, jaredhunts, kpswihart, Pwyse, GRINNING, 2 ducks, CarbonClimber1, alhawk, dustymac, BCLC, mossyback, Turkeyneck78, WhoMe, CeeHawk37, Hotrod20, Slowclimb35, desertdog, Tailwalk7, bambam32, jwalker77, ChiefO, SuperSpike, 3006bullet, brianr, bowkl, Whild_Bill, Dixiepatriot, Zbrann, globe, burbank, Canterberry, Mbrock, lectrode, jawbone, Jus_me, Jweeks, Bustinbeards, RockFarmer, limabean, Downwind, Offshore, BPI, Bmyers142, fishunt1001, Ten37, capehorn24, Elba thermal, BCD, treemydog, catdoctor, lpman, JohnG, janiemae, Austin1, RidgeRanger, hoggin, Raspy, Floorman1, Turberville, BamaBoHunter, AustinC, AU338MAG, CNC, bass1090, stuball, bhammedic84, Reload410, Bcbama260, blade, jlbuc10, having fun now, deerman24, gman, sawdust, 2walnuts, Sasquatch Lives, Darrylcom, k bush, Camden86, cartervj, fillmore, Bigwhitey, !shiloh!, metalmuncher, BBD23, El_Matador, Narrow Gap, Sgiles, chevydude2015, Parker243, DGAMBLER, beetrapper, Fattyfireplug, MoeBuck, Gobble4me757, sj22, Todd1700, HawkPilot, low wall, 1faststang, biglmbass, Gunner211, dave260rem!, OutdoorsAL, JCL, Ru2hunt, Hunting15, cullbuck, Stoney, 7mmSTW, Dubie, canine933, knock him down, JD53, CrappieMan, dtmwtp, mcninja, 17 invisible), 649 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1380942
06/30/15 03:42 PM
06/30/15 03:42 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: 300gr
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
New American Standard Bible
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Everybody study the word. It is not written to be dissected and analyzed under a microscope by scientists to determime meaning. It was written in a way anybody can understand if they put forth the effort. If the preacher says something contrary to what the word says you better be hitting the door. God bless

Darn that Peter,on the very next page in Acts 3:17 he completely forgot to tell everyone that they needed water to be saved.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Ahh grasshopper but he did say repent and be baptized that cant be swept under a rug. There was no need to repeat what he just said about being baptized.

As I've said many times my friend,I'm all for baptism but it's just an expression of what has already happened.

I think we both know how we feel and where we stand. Have a great night my friend,and baptize as many as you can.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 06/30/15 03:42 PM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1380958
06/30/15 03:51 PM
06/30/15 03:51 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point

New American Standard Bible
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Everybody study the word. It is not written to be dissected and analyzed under a microscope by scientists to determime meaning. It was written in a way anybody can understand if they put forth the effort. If the preacher says something contrary to what the word says you better be hitting the door. God bless

Darn that Peter,on the very next page in Acts 3:17 he completely forgot to tell everyone that they needed water to be saved.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Ahh grasshopper but he did say repent and be baptized that cant be swept under a rug. There was no need to repeat what he just said about being baptized.

I think we both know how we feel and where we stand. Have a great night my friend,and baptize as many as you can.

Thanks R.H. These discussions are good because it makes people examime the scriptures. And that is always good.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1380968
06/30/15 03:58 PM
06/30/15 03:58 PM
Walker county
Driveby Offline
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Offline
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
On the Old Testament and changing requirements issue.....I have been asked if God changed the requirements for salvation from Old to New testaments. My answer is no......and yes. I tend to look at things simply because I am a simple man. (Insert Lynard Skynard background music here). My answer to what the requirements were back then can be answered in 2 words....faith and obedience. What is required of us today? Faith and obedience. Y'all have already said yourselves that you view baptism as an act of obedience. What happens to those that don't obey the gospel?
1 Thess 1:7-8
And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: Bamarich2] #1380995
06/30/15 04:17 PM
06/30/15 04:17 PM
Cherokee Co. Al.
B
bgarrett Offline
8 point
bgarrett  Offline
8 point
B
Cherokee Co. Al.
Originally Posted By: Bamarich2
Originally Posted By: bgarrett
yes bamarich2 I think it is the only way to salvation. I have been dipped twice but was only saved once.

Ok... thanks for clarifying. IF the baptism of the NT is referring to "Holy Spirit baptism", I have a couple of passages I'd like you to study with me.

First, Acts 8:4-17. After arriving in Samaria, Philip preached Christ to the people and those truths were accompanied by the working of miracles - which effectively caused many to realize the message was from God (not man). Verse 12 indicates that upon hearing the good news of Christ, many believed and were baptized. An important distinction is made in verse 14 - these people of Samaria had "received the word of God". "Received" is a word that is consistently used in the NT to describe the acceptance of God's offer of salvation. Thus, the language used here by Luke clearly shows these people were saved. Verse 16, though, indicates they had NOT received the Holy Spirit... in fact, the text says "He had not yet fallen on any of them." My question to you... when were they saved - before or after the Holy Spirit had fallen on them? IF the baptism which saves is Holy Spirit baptism, why does the text read as it does?
Bamarich2, It reads just as you say it does, I think in Acts 8 it is clearly speaking of the water baptism and baptism of the holy spirit. This is how you see it also, correct? You also agree with me that water baptism is a work and always follow the conversion of one belief. I am not a bible expert and fall far from most of you guys.I think the bible indicates that believers are indwelled with the Holy Spirit—that is, the Holy Spirit moves into their hearts—at the moment of conversion. "For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit" but many will disagree. And that is ok to. Here is what I was taught about Acts 4 and found some text to borrow to help explain it in my view.

The book of Acts tells about the changing from Judaism to the age of the Church. Jesus was a Jew. The disciples were Jews. But the Church is distinctly Christian. The disciples didn't become Christians until John 20:22 when Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit into them. In Acts 2:4, they were filled with the Holy Spirit. In Acts 8:14-17, I think God waited to give the Samaritans the Holy Spirit until Peter and John could see. I dont know why, although perhaps it was so these devout Jews could witness the coming of the Spirit upon a group of people so despised by them.(the gentiles) Acts 10:45-47 (Jews) "were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles." I could be all wrong on this whole topic and maybe Jesus will help me understand it better in the by and by. I may even ask Paul. I will never be to the point where I think I have the answers to Gods word and will have discerning ears and eyes on what I see and hear. Especially coming from a bunch of tree goat hunters. You guys have made me study the word more this week than I have in months. All I will say is I was saved by God's grace through my faith. And welcome more discussion on this and any other topics, however a sense the hammer coming down on these faith based topics.

Last edited by bgarrett; 06/30/15 04:34 PM.

It's not a Passion, it's an Obsession. That's what I tell my wife, but she promptly informs it's a disease to which is incurable.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381031
06/30/15 04:55 PM
06/30/15 04:55 PM
Nw al
F
Flatrockrunner Offline
4 point
Flatrockrunner  Offline
4 point
F
Nw al
There is also scripture in acts after Pentecost, I don't know the verse off the top of my head where Peter said these men have received the Holy Ghost what stops them from being baptized. Pretty sure you don't have the Holy Ghost without first being saved and yet they had not yet been baptized.

Bottom line Jesus said do it. It doesn't matter why.

On a slightly separate note does anybody know why the word baptismo "immerse" was left un-translated. At the time the bible was translated into English the king was already practicing sprinkling and nobody wanted to go tell the king he was doing it wrong so they left it as baptism.

Last edited by Flatrockrunner; 06/30/15 04:57 PM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381042
06/30/15 05:00 PM
06/30/15 05:00 PM
Cherokee Co. Al.
B
bgarrett Offline
8 point
bgarrett  Offline
8 point
B
Cherokee Co. Al.
Here is a good question for those that say one must be baptized by water to be saved. Were not the 12 apostles Jews. When did they become Christians? Right, when they were filled with the Holy Spirit correct? It was not a water baptism. Did they need to be baptized after becoming Christians? I think John baptized many and that is where Jesus met some of them. John was baptizing for the repentance of sin, and not for a Christian salvation. So once they received the holy spirit (the disciples)did they need to be rebaptized? I don't think it is ever mentioned in the Bible about this. I would love to here everyones thoughts on this.......

It's not a Passion, it's an Obsession. That's what I tell my wife, but she promptly informs it's a disease to which is incurable.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: Flatrockrunner] #1381088
06/30/15 06:04 PM
06/30/15 06:04 PM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Originally Posted By: Flatrockrunner
There is also scripture in acts after Pentecost, I don't know the verse off the top of my head where Peter said these men have received the Holy Ghost what stops them from being baptized. Pretty sure you don't have the Holy Ghost without first being saved and yet they had not yet been baptized.

Bottom line Jesus said do it. It doesn't matter why.

On a slightly separate note does anybody know why the word baptismo "immerse" was left un-translated. At the time the bible was translated into English the king was already practicing sprinkling and nobody wanted to go tell the king he was doing it wrong so they left it as baptism.

Will try to help on both questions. In Acts 10:44ff, Cornelius and his family members experienced "Holy Spirit baptism", which only occurs twice in the book of Acts (the other occasion is Acts 2:1ff). The measure of the Holy Spirit allowing believers the ability to have miraculous powers generally came through the apostle's hands (Acts 8:17/19:6) and the usual order was (1) hear the word, (2) believe/be baptized, and (3) receive the gift of the Holy Spirit via the apostle's hands. Acts 2:38-39 also describes it when we realize those "cut to the heart" already had believed and the apostles were present to lay their hands upon the new converts.

Thus, the case of Cornelius is the exception to the general order. Whereas others in the book of Acts received the Holy Spirit after being baptized, they received the Holy Spirit prior to their baptism (in water). Why the change in the usual order? The answer can be found in the very next chapter (11:1-18)... if you'll read it. The cliffs notes version... God felt it was necessary that Jewish believers (the circumcision party) be shown that the Gentiles were fully accepted into His family. In Judaism, a Gentile could become a proselyte (convert to the Jewish faith), but was still always considered a "second-class citizen". God likely chose "Holy Spirit baptism" because (1) Jesus Himself spoke of it and (2) the apostles themselves realized that was a sign God approved of them. I'm convinced God never intended the "Cornelius experience" to be viewed as the "usual" because of two reasons. First, other cases in Acts are clear that the order is reversed (Cornelius' case was the exception). Second, the purpose for the "exception" was clearly explained in chapter 11 (no explanations given following the other conversions).

On your second question, from what I've gathered in studying the topic, every translation prior to the KJV of 1611 rendered "baptizo" as "immerse" (or dip). However, one of the purposes of King James in creating that translation seemed to be to create unity between the religious groups in his country. For the past half-century, the Geneva Bible won the hearts of non-Anglicans... but it contained spurious commentary that took shots at the Anglican faith. To counter the Geneva Bible, the Anglicans published "The Bishop's Bible".. but it never gained traction versus the much more popular Geneva Bible.

When James (an Anglican) assumed power he seemed to realize the pathway to unity in these two polar-opposite groups was to create a new translation... one which would not include the "anti-Anglican" comments of the Geneva Bible while attracting the group that embraced it. One way to be successful... create a translation that embraced the beliefs of both groups. King James would be a hero to both parties. One group practiced sprinkling as a means to baptize... so instead of the translators rendering "baptizo" as "immerse" (which would be offensive to those who sprinkled), they transliterated the word and created a new English term "baptize". In essence, they "redefined" the word because of politics and power... but nearly every English translation since then has followed suit. I may have some specific detail about the matter wrong, but I'm confident the gist of it is correct.

Last edited by Bamarich2; 06/30/15 06:52 PM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: bgarrett] #1381100
06/30/15 06:34 PM
06/30/15 06:34 PM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Originally Posted By: bgarrett
Here is a good question for those that say one must be baptized by water to be saved. Were not the 12 apostles Jews. When did they become Christians? Right, when they were filled with the Holy Spirit correct? It was not a water baptism. Did they need to be baptized after becoming Christians? I think John baptized many and that is where Jesus met some of them. John was baptizing for the repentance of sin, and not for a Christian salvation. So once they received the holy spirit (the disciples)did they need to be rebaptized? I don't think it is ever mentioned in the Bible about this. I would love to here everyones thoughts on this.......

That one is tough because of the lack of information in the gospels. John's baptism was a water baptism that involved repentance and forgiveness of sin (Luke 3:3). After being baptized Himself, Jesus began baptizing people (John3:26/4:1ff)... though it was actually the apostles who did the baptizing. Because John's account doesn't specify another mode of baptism and it was compared to John's baptism, I assume it was water baptism. Also, I assume whenever Jesus "made disciples", it included baptism - though we don't find any more evidence of them baptizing people except in these two accounts.

On the day of Pentecost, the church (and Christianity) was officially established. What about those who had followed Christ and had been baptized by the apostles - did they have to be baptized again? Because the book of Acts is silent on the matter, I assume they all (including the apostles) were "grandfathered in". The only time we read of people being baptized a second time in Acts is in 19:1ff - they were men who had been baptized with John's baptism (fundamentally different than John's baptism).

To answer "when did they become Christians"... I'd probably answer it was when they initially chose to follow Christ when He called them - when they themselves were first baptized. For the record, it has been suggested that Pentecost wasn't the first time the apostles had received a measure of the Holy Spirit - to accomplish the "Limited Commission", Jesus gave them authority over unclean spirits and the power to heal disease/affliction (Matthew 10:1). No one else in the book of Acts could do that without being empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1381256
07/01/15 04:40 AM
07/01/15 04:40 AM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Originally Posted By: truedouble
Originally Posted By: Bigbamaboy
Originally Posted By: Blong
How could the theif on the cross next to Jesus have been going to heaven that day if baptism is required?

You beat me to it. To me this trumps all other arguments. Jesus himself proclaimed it.

I am of the opinion that this was an exception granted by Christ. I wouldn't base my belief on what one is to do to be saved on this one example. Pretty clear that baptism was a very important event in New Testament times and "Repent and be Baptized, every one of you for the remission of your sins is pretty clear.

Out of all the Biblical debates, this is the one I can't understand what the debate is about. What is said in the Bible, in the New Testament is stated clearly… all of the "outward expression, symbolic action, etc. etc. are all interpretations of why some "think" God told us to be Baptized. Why immersion in water is commanded is not necessarily for us to understand. Do you think those baptized by John the Baptist debated why they needed to be dunked to be saved? Point is, it is commanded and there are many examples in the New Testament, so why in the world do people try to debate this and pick and choose different verses as reasons not to be baptized and/ or minimize it's importance?

I don't think God intends for us to understand everything… you have "Christians" now debating same sex marriage and homosexuality. How? B/C they pick and choose verses that support the theory that God loves everyone and therefor everyone will go go Heaven as long as they love God. This completely leaves out other scripture that condemns homosexuality as well as other versus that tell us to worship God, to spread his word, to help the sick, homeless and widows, etc. etc.

It's not for us to determine why New Testament Christians are baptized. Ok to discuss, but not to redefine... We are simply told to do so. The minute someone starts arguing either against it (saying it's not really important) or minimizes it to something that "makes more sense to us" is the time we take God's word and make it our own.

The issue is important because it is still an attempt for man to save himself. It's still man relying on himself just as he tried to obey the law,he tries today to obey baptism to be saved. It becomes a pride issue,one of I'm saved because of what I did,you are not because you didn't follow the law.

Not for me….I was baptized b/c the bible tells me to be baptized to be cleansed of my sins. If we are to do nothing, then why does the Bible say otherwise? I will also try to do everything I can to resist temptation and live a Godly life, although I fall short daily. That being said I understand that without Jesus I wouldn't have a chance of spending eternity in Heaven, but it doesn't mean that God doesn't expect for us to follow his word. Throwing hands up in the air and saying there is nothing I can to do to be saved is a dangerous road to go down. This can be taken the wrong way which leads to people doing nothing, which is not God's plan for his people.

After reading more, the common denominator among those that don't believe that baptism is required, is picking a choosing verses that support their belief. Speaking for myself, I also believe that you must accept Jesus, that you must believe, that you must have faith, that without Jesus's death and resurrection we have nothing, that we could never live a life that would allow us to spend eternity with God, without grace and forgiveness….BUT I don't forget that the NT also commands us to be Baptized and shows many examples. If someone is giving you directions to go from Point A to Point B, you don't follow most of the directions, you follow all of the directions. Same things with the New Testament.

Last edited by truedouble; 07/01/15 04:56 AM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381267
07/01/15 04:55 AM
07/01/15 04:55 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Hey truedouble, not singling you out or picking on you, I'm actually gonna borrow something from your response above that I hear lots of people say, and point out the impossibility of a salvation you can lose (which is what I perceive some of the people in this thread believe).

First, I am fond of saying (constantly), "If you could lose your salvation, YOU WOULD!" Y'all please tell me if I'm wrong, but most of the posters who say baptism is required for salvation, seem to also say (or imply)that I have to "work out my salvation" or in some way continously strive to maintain my righteous standing. Is that right? But, many of those same folks will say "I strive to always be obedient, but I fail daily." If that's what you believe, how do you deal with the second-by-second fear that you could die during that time you "failed"?

Sorry if I'm misconstruing what you mean, that's just how I take it, so I wanted to touch on that.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: truedouble] #1381275
07/01/15 05:07 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bigbamaboy
Originally Posted By: Blong
How could the theif on the cross next to Jesus have been going to heaven that day if baptism is required?

You beat me to it. To me this trumps all other arguments. Jesus himself proclaimed it.

I am of the opinion that this was an exception granted by Christ. I wouldn't base my belief on what one is to do to be saved on this one example. Pretty clear that baptism was a very important event in New Testament times and "Repent and be Baptized, every one of you for the remission of your sins is pretty clear.

Out of all the Biblical debates, this is the one I can't understand what the debate is about. What is said in the Bible, in the New Testament is stated clearly… all of the "outward expression, symbolic action, etc. etc. are all interpretations of why some "think" God told us to be Baptized. Why immersion in water is commanded is not necessarily for us to understand. Do you think those baptized by John the Baptist debated why they needed to be dunked to be saved? Point is, it is commanded and there are many examples in the New Testament, so why in the world do people try to debate this and pick and choose different verses as reasons not to be baptized and/ or minimize it's importance?

I don't think God intends for us to understand everything… you have "Christians" now debating same sex marriage and homosexuality. How? B/C they pick and choose verses that support the theory that God loves everyone and therefor everyone will go go Heaven as long as they love God. This completely leaves out other scripture that condemns homosexuality as well as other versus that tell us to worship God, to spread his word, to help the sick, homeless and widows, etc. etc.

It's not for us to determine why New Testament Christians are baptized. Ok to discuss, but not to redefine... We are simply told to do so. The minute someone starts arguing either against it (saying it's not really important) or minimizes it to something that "makes more sense to us" is the time we take God's word and make it our own.

The issue is important because it is still an attempt for man to save himself. It's still man relying on himself just as he tried to obey the law,he tries today to obey baptism to be saved. It becomes a pride issue,one of I'm saved because of what I did,you are not because you didn't follow the law.

Not for me….I was baptized b/c the bible tells me to be baptized to be cleansed of my sins. If we are to do nothing, then why does the Bible say otherwise? I will also try to do everything I can to resist temptation and live a Godly life, although I fall short daily. That being said I understand that without Jesus I wouldn't have a chance of spending eternity in Heaven, but it doesn't mean that God doesn't expect for us to follow his word. Throwing hands up in the air and saying there is nothing I can to do to be saved is a dangerous road to go down. This can be taken the wrong way which leads to people doing nothing, which is not God's plan for his people.

I know what you are saying but not wanting to do good isn't an issue for saved people. The very act of salvation is receiving a new heart and a born again Spirit. If there is no change in a person,then there is no salvation. I'm not saying that a saved person will always do good. I'm saying that they want to do good.

I see trying to work for salvation or acceptance is much more dangerous to the believer. For one thing Satan will continually convince you that God will bless you but only when you achieve a higher level of perfection.

Another thing is that you will constantly be concentrating on yourself,what needs fixing about you,how to stop certain sins and how to be more holy. The path to these things doesn't come through focus on self. Holiness and spiritual growth come through crucifying yourself. In other words consider your flesh dead,don't think about or focus on fixing flesh. Concentrate on the things of God,his word,prayer, whatsoever things are good,pure,just,lovely. Fix your mind on these things and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

As I've said many times in this thread,all believers should be baptized but not because God won't accept you if you aren't. All believers should do good works,tithe,attend church,but none of these save. We are saved by becoming one in the spirit with Jesus.When that happens everything we should do is simply fruit that naturally grows because we are connected to the vine.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381276
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
I'm not sure what you mean by "work out salvation", but I don't live in fear b/c I was baptized for the remission of my sins and Jesus died so that my sins can be forgiven. I never will be in righteous standing by what I do or don't do.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: ikillbux] #1381285
07/01/15 05:23 AM
07/01/15 05:23 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
Booner
ridgestalker  Offline
Booner
R
North Jackson
Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Hey truedouble, not singling you out or picking on you, I'm actually gonna borrow something from your response above that I hear lots of people say, and point out the impossibility of a salvation you can lose (which is what I perceive some of the people in this thread believe).

First, I am fond of saying (constantly), "If you could lose your salvation, YOU WOULD!" Y'all please tell me if I'm wrong, but most of the posters who say baptism is required for salvation, seem to also say (or imply)that I have to "work out my salvation" or in some way continously strive to maintain my righteous standing. Is that right? But, many of those same folks will say "I strive to always be obedient, but I fail daily." If that's what you believe, how do you deal with the second-by-second fear that you could die during that time you "failed"?

Sorry if I'm misconstruing what you mean, that's just how I take it, so I wanted to touch on that.

I was going to wait a few days and start another thread on can a person lose their salvation.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: ikillbux] #1381298
07/01/15 05:43 AM
07/01/15 05:43 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama

Maybe I can help. You will always see those who think they have to work for salvation quote Philippians 2:12 saying that we need to work out our salvation.

It does not mean for us to work for our salvation.Paul was talking to believers who were already saved and salvation is not a work of man.The words "work out" are a translation of the greek word which means,"to carry out to the goal,to carry to it's ultimate conclusion." The Philippians are exhorted to carry their salvation to it's ultimate goal,Christlikness. The salvation spoken of here is not justification but sanctification.

They are to achieve victory over sin.They are to do this with fear and trembling.The fear here speaks of a wholesome caution.The fear here is vigilance against temptation.It's just like the verse"be not high minded but fear." It is taking heed lest we fall.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/01/15 05:43 AM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: ridgestalker] #1381307
07/01/15 05:57 AM
07/01/15 05:57 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted By: ridgestalker

I was going to wait a few days and start another thread on can a person lose their salvation.

laugh Oops, didn't mean to jump string!

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1381312
07/01/15 06:03 AM
07/01/15 06:03 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL

The words "work out" are a translation of the greek word which means,"to carry out to the goal,to carry to it's ultimate conclusion." The Philippians are exhorted to carry their salvation to it's ultimate goal,Christlikness. The salvation spoken of here is not justification but sanctification.

Boom, that's exactly what I say too. I had a guy in my office maybe a month ago, said he was new to the area, had moved here to take the pastorate of a local Free Will Baptist church. I avoided discussion like the plague, but I could tell he was trying to engage me (just doing his job to evangelize). I finally opened some dialogue about "What is a Free Will Baptist?" and off he went. I just nodded as if I was tracking with him, didn't think it was prudent to disagree with a fella buying insurance! LOL

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381343
07/01/15 07:12 AM
07/01/15 07:12 AM
Gulfport, MS
BDhunts Offline
14 point
BDhunts  Offline
14 point
Gulfport, MS
I think the word Baptize can be used as conversion, as well as immersion.
(Full Definition of BAPTIZE
transitive verb
: to administer baptism to
a : to purify or cleanse spiritually especially by a purging experience or ordeal
b : initiate
: to give a name to (as at baptism) : christen)

Verse 4-6 appears to have these men go immediately from Paul asking the question in vs4 the admitting in vs5 to the laying of hands in vs6.

Acts 19 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)

1 And it came to pass, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul when he passed through the upper coasts, came to Ephesus, and found certain disciples,
2 And said unto them, Have ye received the holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be an holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what were ye then baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe in him, which should come after him, that is, in Christ Jesus.
5 And when they heard it, they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.
6 So Paul laid his hands upon them, and the holy Ghost came on them, and they spake the tongues, and prophesied.

Genesis 27:3
Acts 10:11-15
Hunt Long, Hunt Hard and Safe
NRA LIFE MEMBER
"Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381369
07/01/15 07:31 AM
07/01/15 07:31 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Can we agree on the bible being Gods word. And can we further agree the words in red were spoken by Christ. If we can agree then how can one disagree with his statement "He that believeth AND is baptized shall be saved but he that believeth not shall be damned"
Yes in his second part he mentions those who dont believe. Believe what? All of the above including baptism and the Gospel. Key word is AND which indicates those who wish to be saved MUST believe the gospel AND be baptized. Its not complicated to understand.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1381413
07/01/15 08:11 AM
07/01/15 08:11 AM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...

Can we agree on the bible being Gods word. And can we further agree the words in red were spoken by Christ. If we can agree then how can one disagree with his statement "He that believeth AND is baptized shall be saved but he that believeth not shall be damned"
Yes in his second part he mentions those who dont believe. Believe what? All of the above including baptism and the Gospel. Key word is AND which indicates those who wish to be saved MUST believe the gospel AND be baptized. Its not complicated to understand.

John 1:33
I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: bowhunter86] #1381417
07/01/15 08:16 AM
07/01/15 08:16 AM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.
Originally Posted By: bowhunter86
To say that baptism is necessary for salvation is to say we must add our own good works and obedience to Christ's death in order to make it sufficient for salvation. Jesus' death alone paid for our sins.

Are some of you guys saying that your absolutely not saved by faith alone? What about the man on his death bed? If he asks for forgiveness and repents then what scripture says he won't be going to heaven because he wasn't baptized? If he truly accepts Jesus as his personal savior then there is no reason according to scripture that he won't be in heaven.

Not singling you out as there are others on here who have stated something similar; scripture, the very words of Christ prove that it is a commandment, no an option and that it is indeed necessary to our salvation. I have posted only a few of the scriptures that support this.

Now as far as baptism being a "work" getting baptized was easy, I knew I needed it, all I did was go down in the water in Jesus name according to scripture. Prayer must be a work then because prayer is more taxing on the body both physically, and mentally than baptism.

James 2:18-20
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
KJV

So is James wrong, or is he simply stating that his faith in Christ causes him to live a life which produces work?
Because of my faith in God and His Word I know that by being baptized my sins are washed away, because of my faith in God I fast and pray, because of my faith in God I live my life according to His Word... this type of works.

Elite Omnia, Easton FMJ, Axcel Landslyde 5 pin slider.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.