</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
2 Auburn tickets
by AU7MM08. 09/19/24 08:28 AM
Looking For / WTB Remington 700...
by Cuz-Pat. 09/18/24 09:15 PM
Husky X-Act Contour floor liners 09-14 F150
by AHolcomb. 09/18/24 05:44 PM
35-12.50-18 Trail Grapplers
by AHolcomb. 09/18/24 05:37 PM
BCA 9mm upper
by k bush. 09/18/24 05:08 PM
Serious Deer Talk
9 Days
by jdhunter2011. 09/19/24 11:13 AM
The Georgia Opener........
by Goatkiller. 09/19/24 11:09 AM
Mega Giant Hit The Kansas Dirt Last Night
by blade. 09/19/24 11:01 AM
Stray dogs
by Goatkiller. 09/19/24 10:36 AM
Corn Prices
by 2Dogs. 09/19/24 07:30 AM
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Fayette County Club
by Smoke_Diver. 09/18/24 08:41 PM
Looking for a fella on here
by BBD23. 09/11/24 02:03 PM
Lease bought by The Conservation Fund
by goin_out_west. 09/09/24 08:01 PM
Russell county club
by BryanfromAU. 09/08/24 11:06 AM
Greene County Club (Union) - Full Rights - Private
by DuckDown11. 08/29/24 02:36 PM
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (Calvin, Hoytdad10, buzzard, TexasHuntress, scrubbuck, geeb1, Bushmaster, oakachoy, Spotchaser8, AU7MM08, AUSKEETER, Chaser357, Birdfeathers, UncleHuck, BCLC, JRigs10, Semo, johnmcgowan, Smoke_Diver, YellaLineHunter, doghouse, AC870, somedude, sfortney32, Young20, blazer625, HHSyelper, trlrdrdave, fish251, scrape, Chiller, jchurch, rkt, Pwyse, BamaFan64, odocoileus, AU coonhunter, HURRICANE, FNG68, Ridgehunter36, goodman_hunter, Tree Hanger, Bigem1958, akbejeepin, Jweeks, mzzy, PossumPecker, ShaftOne, Lvlhdd, Turkey_neck, JB71, Skillet, jwp0020, mcninja, IMISSALDEER, Team_Stuckem, Epalm88, auman, metalmuncher, hamma, CNC, M48scout, BobK, GoldenEagle, twaldrop4, Fishduck, centralala, AUjerbear, outdoorguy88, claybird, Squeaky, rutwad, donia, Floorman1, MAG, jdhunter2011, Tree Dweller, BC_Reb, OutdoorsAL, Ray_Coon, Rip Wheeler, ParrotHead89, bamaeyedoc, jake44, Goatkiller, Shaneomac2, JD53, Stu, Backwards cowboy, blade, hippi, catdoctor, lalongbeard, Squadron77, BrentsFX4, Chancetribe, BhamFred, KnightRyder, mashburn, clayk, SouthBamaSlayer, fish_blackbass, Tracker, BC, lckrn, Geeb, rhino21, Stoney, AL18, JDW25, Okatuppa, cgardner, furnfeather, hallb, eclipse829, Downwind, Tailwalk7, Ron A., TDog93, Canterberry, 5 invisible), 689 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: truedouble] #1381418
07/01/15 08:17 AM
07/01/15 08:17 AM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.
Originally Posted By: truedouble
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Originally Posted By: truedouble
Originally Posted By: Bigbamaboy
Originally Posted By: Blong
How could the theif on the cross next to Jesus have been going to heaven that day if baptism is required?

You beat me to it. To me this trumps all other arguments. Jesus himself proclaimed it.

I am of the opinion that this was an exception granted by Christ. I wouldn't base my belief on what one is to do to be saved on this one example. Pretty clear that baptism was a very important event in New Testament times and "Repent and be Baptized, every one of you for the remission of your sins is pretty clear.

thumbup

Out of all the Biblical debates, this is the one I can't understand what the debate is about. What is said in the Bible, in the New Testament is stated clearly… all of the "outward expression, symbolic action, etc. etc. are all interpretations of why some "think" God told us to be Baptized. Why immersion in water is commanded is not necessarily for us to understand. Do you think those baptized by John the Baptist debated why they needed to be dunked to be saved? Point is, it is commanded and there are many examples in the New Testament, so why in the world do people try to debate this and pick and choose different verses as reasons not to be baptized and/ or minimize it's importance?

I don't think God intends for us to understand everything… you have "Christians" now debating same sex marriage and homosexuality. How? B/C they pick and choose verses that support the theory that God loves everyone and therefor everyone will go go Heaven as long as they love God. This completely leaves out other scripture that condemns homosexuality as well as other versus that tell us to worship God, to spread his word, to help the sick, homeless and widows, etc. etc.

It's not for us to determine why New Testament Christians are baptized. Ok to discuss, but not to redefine... We are simply told to do so. The minute someone starts arguing either against it (saying it's not really important) or minimizes it to something that "makes more sense to us" is the time we take God's word and make it our own.

The issue is important because it is still an attempt for man to save himself. It's still man relying on himself just as he tried to obey the law,he tries today to obey baptism to be saved. It becomes a pride issue,one of I'm saved because of what I did,you are not because you didn't follow the law.

Not for me….I was baptized b/c the bible tells me to be baptized to be cleansed of my sins. If we are to do nothing, then why does the Bible say otherwise? I will also try to do everything I can to resist temptation and live a Godly life, although I fall short daily. That being said I understand that without Jesus I wouldn't have a chance of spending eternity in Heaven, but it doesn't mean that God doesn't expect for us to follow his word. Throwing hands up in the air and saying there is nothing I can to do to be saved is a dangerous road to go down. This can be taken the wrong way which leads to people doing nothing, which is not God's plan for his people.

After reading more, the common denominator among those that don't believe that baptism is required, is picking a choosing verses that support their belief. Speaking for myself, I also believe that you must accept Jesus, that you must believe, that you must have faith, that without Jesus's death and resurrection we have nothing, that we could never live a life that would allow us to spend eternity with God, without grace and forgiveness….BUT I don't forget that the NT also commands us to be Baptized and shows many examples. If someone is giving you directions to go from Point A to Point B, you don't follow most of the directions, you follow all of the directions. Same things with the New Testament.

Elite Omnia, Easton FMJ, Axcel Landslyde 5 pin slider.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381426
07/01/15 08:28 AM
07/01/15 08:28 AM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Unless you are born of the spirit and water you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven
The water is obviously referring to baptism not the fluid surrounding a baby prior to birth. Some actually try to stretch it into that.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381435
07/01/15 08:39 AM
07/01/15 08:39 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1381484
07/01/15 09:41 AM
07/01/15 09:41 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted By: 300gr
Unless you are born of the spirit and water you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven
The water is obviously referring to baptism not the fluid surrounding a baby prior to birth. Some actually try to stretch it into that.

The water birth IS referring to natural birth from the womb/flesh (think of a woman's water breaking). And I don't suggest we're confusing the use of the word here, rather it's the logical context of Jesus' and Nicodemus' discussion. Jesus' answer was to the question of how can I enter my mother's womb again. The emphasis was not on the word water nor and, but rather Spirit, as in spiritual regeneration. I think it would be more of a stretch to say otherwise, wouldn't you agree?...just because of what they're actually talking about. And I'm not contending that is disproves the necessity of baptism, just that the word water isn't a reference to baptism.

Last edited by ikillbux; 07/01/15 09:46 AM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381492
07/01/15 09:52 AM
07/01/15 09:52 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Everyone is born of a woman. So to say he was speaking of the fluid filled sac around a baby in a woman makes no sense . When a person is baptized they are burying the old self hence arise and walk a newness of life (born again, second birth)makes perfect sense. Please explain how you think he was speaking about a womans water? He was answering how to be born AGAIN not the first birth we all go through.

Last edited by 300gr; 07/01/15 10:01 AM.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: ikillbux] #1381496
07/01/15 10:01 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: ikillbux

The water birth IS referring to natural birth from the womb/flesh (think of a woman's water breaking). And I don't suggest we're confusing the use of the word here, rather it's the logical context of Jesus' and Nicodemus' discussion. Jesus' answer was to the question of how can I enter my mother's womb again. The emphasis was not on the word water nor and, but rather Spirit, as in spiritual regeneration.

Actually from Greek studies I don't think Jesus was referring to water here as natural birth.You have to remember that Nicodemus was a scholar and should have been familiar with scripture. Jesus uses water here to refer to the Holy Spirit.

I'll write out the interpretation here derived from 3 Greek scholars.This is a excerpt of a Greek word study by Kenneth S Wuest.

Nicodemus,as a Jewish theologian,is supposed to have been familiar with Isaiah 44:4,where water is a type of the Holy Spirit,and also with Isaiah 55:1, where the prophet says, "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters." These considerations lead the writer to incline to the interpretation that the word "water" here was used by Jesus as a symbol of the Holy Spirit as He does in the case of the Samaritan woman and also when He spoke at the great day of the feast.
The Greek word translated "and" has other uses than merely that of a connective. It has an emphatic or ascensive use, and is at that time translated by the word "even." Thus, the translation here could read, "Except a man be born of water, even of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." Another consideration pointing to this interpretation and translation is the fact that when Jesus recurs again to the new birth in verses 6 and 8, He does not refer to water at all, but only to the Spirit. Evidently seeing the blank look on the face of Nicodemus, our Lord adds the words "even of the Spirit," thus explaining the symbol to this theologian of the Old Testament who should have understood it.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/01/15 10:06 AM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1381497
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.
Also; Nicodemus wasn't sure of what was being said and thought Jesus was referring to entering into his mother's womb again stating that it was not possible to do so, not understanding at that moment that He was referring to water baptism.

I noticed (unless I missed it which is possible) that no one made an attempt to explain how we are supposed to "obey the gospel" as detailed by Paul and put forth as part of salvation by Peter?

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1381498
07/01/15 10:04 AM
07/01/15 10:04 AM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.

The water birth IS referring to natural birth from the womb/flesh (think of a woman's water breaking). And I don't suggest we're confusing the use of the word here, rather it's the logical context of Jesus' and Nicodemus' discussion. Jesus' answer was to the question of how can I enter my mother's womb again. The emphasis was not on the word water nor and, but rather Spirit, as in spiritual regeneration.

Actually from Greek studies I don't think Jesus was referring to water here as natural birth.You have to remember that Nicodemus was a scholar and should have been familiar with scripture. Jesus uses water here to refer to the Holy Spirit.

I'll write out the interpretation here derived from 3 Greek scholars.
Nicodemus,as a Jewish theologian,is supposed to have been familiar with Isaiah 44:4,where water is a type of the Holy Spirit,and also with Isaiah 55:1, where the prophet says, "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters." These considerations lead the writer to incline to the interpretation that the word "water" here was used by Jesus as a symbol of the Holy Spirit as He does in the case of the Samaritan woman and also when He spoke at the great day of the feast.
The Greek word translated "and" has other uses than merely that of a connective. It has an emphatic or ascensive use, and is at that time translated by the word "even." Thus, the translation here could read, "Except a man be born of water, even of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." Another consideration pointing to this interpretation and translation is the fact that when Jesus recurs again to the new birth in verses 6 and 8, He does not refer to water at all, but only to the Spirit. Evidently seeing the blank look on the face of Nicodemus, our Lord adds the words "even of the Spirit," thus explaining the symbol to this theologian of the Old Testament who should have understood it.

Jesus said "water and Spirit" being born again consist of water and Spirit, it's part of becoming a new creature in Christ Jesus.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: sbo1971] #1381505
07/01/15 10:12 AM
07/01/15 10:12 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: sbo1971

Jesus said "water and Spirit" being born again consist of water and Spirit, it's part of becoming a new creature in Christ Jesus.

Did you miss the part where "and" is better translated here as even? This translation better follows the entire Bible than the notion that salvation requires natural water to be valid. This has never been Bible doctrine,only the doctrine of ignorant men.

Let me add that by ignorant,I simply mean by people who don't know any better. Most of the time these folks are well meaning Christians that have had this doctrine preached to them their entire life and are blind to anything else.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/01/15 10:21 AM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1381512
07/01/15 10:20 AM
07/01/15 10:20 AM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.

Did you miss the part where "and" is better translated here as even? This translation better follows the entire Bible than the notion that salvation requires natural water to be valid. This has never been Bible doctrine,only the doctrine of ignorant men.

I thought this was to be a civil discussion, so we are going off opinion and speculation of others and not direct from the scripture. Ok thanks, you know us ignorant men.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: sbo1971] #1381513
07/01/15 10:22 AM
07/01/15 10:22 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama

I thought this was to be a civil discussion, so we are going off the opinion of others and not direct from the scripture. Ok thanks, you know us ignorant men.

I edited before you replied. I didn't mean it as an insult.

What I'm "going off of" is the interpretation of some of the most trusted scholars of the actual language that the Bible was originally written in. I'm not looking for opinions but seeking what the Bible actually says. You do realize that the KJV is a translation as well and not every word is properly translated though it's about 98% accurate.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/01/15 10:26 AM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381524
07/01/15 10:34 AM
07/01/15 10:34 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Its funny all those who are afraid to be baptized and make any excuse to avoid it. This translates different than that translation etc. When King james had the bible translated he had the best scholars of the time. What i read and believe is baptism is the final componet to being saved. If i am wrong then so what im still saved. If the ones that dont believe baptism is required are wrong they have lost everything.

Last edited by 300gr; 07/01/15 10:36 AM.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1381526
07/01/15 10:37 AM
07/01/15 10:37 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Its funny all those who are afraid to be baptized and make any excuse to avoid it. This translates different than that translation etc. When King james had the bible translated he had the best scholars of the time. What i read and believe is baptism is the final componet fo be saved. If i am wrong then so what im still saved. If the ones that dont believe baptism is required are wrong they have lost everything.

There would be something wrong with any Christian who tried to avoid baptism. It would be just as wrong as those who add it to the recipe for salvation.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/01/15 10:38 AM.
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: R_H_Clark] #1381528
07/01/15 10:40 AM
07/01/15 10:40 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
There would be something wrong with any Christian who tried to avoid baptism. It would be just as wrong as those add it to the recipe for salvation.
Amen. I would bet my last dollar that every man on this thread, regardless of where he stands on this particular theological issue, has been immersion baptized. I know I have!

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: 300gr] #1381531
07/01/15 10:45 AM
07/01/15 10:45 AM
God's Country
B
bowhunter86 Offline
6 point
bowhunter86  Offline
6 point
B
God's Country
Its funny all those who are afraid to be baptized and make any excuse to avoid it. This translates different than that translation etc. When King james had the bible translated he had the best scholars of the time. What i read and believe is baptism is the final componet to being saved. If i am wrong then so what im still saved. If the ones that dont believe baptism is required are wrong they have lost everything.

What gave you the idea that were scared to be baptized or haven't been? I bet everyone that has participated in this discussion has been baptized. I can't understand how you think that water baptism is essential or the last step to salvation. What you are saying is Jesus death and resurrection is not enough to be saved, that somehow we have to perform a symbolic act to receive redemption. I'm sorry but that's wrong and goes against biblical teaching.

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: bowhunter86] #1381537
07/01/15 10:50 AM
07/01/15 10:50 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
Booner
ridgestalker  Offline
Booner
R
North Jackson
Originally Posted By: bowhunter86

What gave you the idea that were scared to be baptized or haven't been? I bet everyone that has participated in this discussion has been baptized. I can't understand how you think that water baptism is essential or the last step to salvation. What you are saying is Jesus death and resurrection is not enough to be saved, that somehow we have to perform a symbolic act to receive redemption. I'm sorry but that's wrong and goes against biblical teaching.

Not the Bible I study and read.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: bowhunter86] #1381542
07/01/15 10:56 AM
07/01/15 10:56 AM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.
Originally Posted By: bowhunter86

In my opinion I don't think people are scared to be baptized, I do however think that many have been deceived into believing that it is not needed and has no part in our salvation. I have posted numerous scriptures that directly command it, and that it does save us. That's not my "opinion" that is just plain scripture. But like so many other things in this world we want things our way and not God's, we'll take someone's speculation instead of God's Word as it is written. So many times we read scripture and when it doesn't line up with what we have been told, what we want to hear, we go elsewhere looking for truth.
Why not go to the one who can give you all knowledge and understanding?

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381544
07/01/15 10:58 AM
07/01/15 10:58 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
How do i think its essential hmm maybe because Jesus said it! Paul said it. Peter said it. I dont know what bible you read!

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381559
07/01/15 11:07 AM
07/01/15 11:07 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (I Peter 3:20-21).

Re: Baptism Discussion: Baptism: OUTWARD EXPRESSION of an INWARD REALITY [Re: straycat] #1381573
07/01/15 11:19 AM
07/01/15 11:19 AM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
Im through with this thread. Ive given scriptures to back up why i belive baptism is required. Its beginning to be more arguments than enlightenment. Im not posting on this thread because all has been said. However ive not got an answer from anyone about the "sinners prayer" .All i asked for was one new testament example where anybody was saved 1) when they were by themselves ( there has Lways been more than one person present) or 2) by reciting the sinners prayer only. Anybody ????????

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.