Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
The whole Southeast or just coastal plains?

Wasn't there, a little early for me - don't you remember? laughup I think it extended well into the mountains and Piedmont, just at different times. Obviously terrain limited access and hardwood vs pine was used at different times but I think most of the accessible southeast suffered the same fate! I don't know the nat history of the Appalachian well! I am pretty good with my natural history of quail though and know that the population spike occurred as far north as Ohio and Pennsylvania and that Missouri/Tennessee/Virginia area had good quail populations in the mid 1900's. They have also suffered the same declines since the '60's.

We were in Gatlinburg this weekend and I stumbled on a piece of trivia related (Appalachians is still in the SE). The Great Smoky Mountains National Park was established about 80 years ago, following the almost complete logging of the entire area. There are only a few small pockets of old growth forest in the park. That means that the oldest trees you see there are around 80-90 years old.

I don't want to pass quietly into the night. I want to slide in sideways kickin and screamin
Life really is awesome ... Soak it up while you can ...