</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB Work Vehicle
by BrentsFX4. 09/27/24 05:11 PM
Steiner vzf 3x12x56 scope
by frankj. 09/27/24 01:47 PM
ISO Moultie Quick lock Feeder
by HHSyelper. 09/27/24 10:59 AM
Millennium 150 lockon.
by crocker. 09/27/24 10:38 AM
Beretta 20 Ga For Sale
by Big Al. 09/27/24 10:14 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Uchee Creek Unit 11?
by !shiloh!. 09/27/24 04:39 PM
How many Process there own deer?
by Semo. 09/27/24 04:33 PM
Deer Storm Mortality/Injury
by Tree Dweller. 09/27/24 03:01 PM
Food plot after burning
by Cupstone. 09/27/24 12:10 PM
Uchee Creek unit 3
by Coosa1. 09/27/24 11:45 AM
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Fayette County Club
by Smoke_Diver. 09/18/24 08:41 PM
Looking for a fella on here
by BBD23. 09/11/24 02:03 PM
Lease bought by The Conservation Fund
by goin_out_west. 09/09/24 08:01 PM
Russell county club
by BryanfromAU. 09/08/24 11:06 AM
Greene County Club (Union) - Full Rights - Private
by DuckDown11. 08/29/24 02:36 PM
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (Swamp Monkey, outdoorguy88, frankj, Luxfisher, AU338MAG, GoldenEagle, Holcomb, GATA87, crenshawco, fishunt1001, RidgeRanger, Forrestgump1, 2walnuts, roosterbob, GomerPyle, bama7x57, wk2hnt, BhamFred, AU7MM08, BAR1225, BCLC, Hester, jhardy, Auburn_03, Ruger7mag, Okatuppa, Showout, Gunpowder, NotsoBright, DGAMBLER, bamabeagler, HURRICANE, 300gr, CNC, Jotjackson, Larryj, hamma, WDE, Bronco 74, Koba, JustHunt, Chickenrig, leroyb, Ol’Tom, woodduck, jawbone, skoor, MikeP, ParrotHead89, Fedex 1, Turkeyneck78, AL18, OutdoorsAL, Kang, doublefistful, Happysappy, oldandwise, jwalker77, cch, Fattyfireplug, odocoileus, CouchNapper, sloughfoot, Uokman2014, SnipeHunter, Scooter7, Tupi, Warhead, goodman_hunter, Boathand, ALclearcut, Johnathan, klay, Bulls eye, Geezer, rblaker, metalmuncher, fur_n_feathers, El_Matador, mossyback, seadoge8, Chipnalong, BC, bowkl, lectrode, RCHRR, Sgiles, M48scout, hawndog, BCD, hoggin, Stewart36567, 700ltr308, jarcher38, Cuz-Pat, turfarmer, aucountry, lpman, CKyleC, chevydude2015, rst87, Dean, deadeye, Turberville, 7x57_Mauser, Melter, 9 invisible), 777 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: Southwood7] #1662539
02/23/16 05:43 PM
02/23/16 05:43 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: Southwood7
Matt's retired atoler.... Or is he???

Lets try to be nice and respectful, I appreciate him facing the flames here!

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: NightHunter] #1662540
02/23/16 05:45 PM
02/23/16 05:45 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Don't take this personal Brent but I don't think anyone has room to be calling us childish in this or any recent thread. Sometimes the truth hurts and anecdotally anyway, our evidence is that most folks complaining are the ones that kill or reasonably expect to kill a limit every year or two. This holds true to the folks I know that don't like it.

This process can be done correctly and benefit ALL turkey hunters and more importantly the turkeys. That is what I hope happens. I guess we will all see.

I think it should be blatantly obvious that is the group most concerned with it. Heck that's the group it effects. Kind like raising taxes on people making over a million a year. The people making a million a year are truly pissed and the ones making 500k know it doesn't make sense, but it isn't getting in their pocket book, so they don't care.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: NightHunter] #1662545
02/23/16 05:51 PM
02/23/16 05:51 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County

Don't take this personal Brent but I don't think anyone has room to be calling us childish in this or any recent thread. Sometimes the truth hurts and anecdotally anyway, our evidence is that most folks complaining are the ones that kill or reasonably expect to kill a limit every year or two. This holds true to the folks I know that don't like it.

This process can be done correctly and benefit ALL turkey hunters and more importantly the turkeys. That is what I hope happens. I guess we will all see.

I won't take it personal and I never called you childish.
Of course the people that actually kill limits are Gonna complain because they are the ones who are really passionate about turkeys and turkey hunting. They are also the same guys that spend a great deal of their time and money trying to better the overall condition of the resource.
To be lumped into the "I'm by God gonna get my 5 piss on everybody else" group has to be incredibly offensive to guys that work their asses off and spend their grandkids inheritance trying to leave them more turkeys than they had when they were kids. Brock was taking a shot at Gobbler and some other folks that had disagreed with him and it was childish....... Really no other way to say it.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: Atoler] #1662558
02/23/16 06:02 PM
02/23/16 06:02 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted By: Atoler

I think it should be blatantly obvious that is the group most concerned with it. Heck that's the group it effects.

Yet your comrades say that is not the case... which is it???

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662560
02/23/16 06:03 PM
02/23/16 06:03 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama
Let me say I would rather have the legislature set seasons and bag limits than let Auburn set them based on a computer model. At least they will weigh constituents opinions.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662567
02/23/16 06:13 PM
02/23/16 06:13 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted By: gobbler
Let me say I would rather have the legislature set seasons and bag limits than let Auburn set them based on a computer model. At least they will weigh constituents opinions.

rofl

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662570
02/23/16 06:17 PM
02/23/16 06:17 PM
Central Alabama
Y
Yelp softly Offline
10 point
Yelp softly  Offline
10 point
Y
Central Alabama

That's where we'll disagree. The general public making an emotional decision over science based decisions is very poor policy. I'm not suggesting the science is perfect, but it trumps decisions based on emotion almost every time.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662571
02/23/16 06:19 PM
02/23/16 06:19 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
I damn sure don't want Hank sanders telling me when I can hunt turkeys!

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: NightHunter] #1662575
02/23/16 06:24 PM
02/23/16 06:24 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted By: Atoler

I think it should be blatantly obvious that is the group most concerned with it. Heck that's the group it effects.

Yet your comrades say that is not the case... which is it???

I'm not really concerned with what others think the case is. I think anyone who can calmly think through a situation realizes, the ones being affected are going to be more vocal than the ones not affected.

Maybe that is why the reductions are being considered. Hunters who kill over 3 birds a year are such a minority, that their voice is really insignificant. So to make it appear like progress is being made, the cab will bowl them over, and tell the majority they are "doing" something. We will never get back the current limits once they are reduced. So instead of slapping a bandaid on the engine because it's knocking, I'd like to see the problem diagnosed.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: Yelp softly] #1662580
02/23/16 06:31 PM
02/23/16 06:31 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: Yelp softly

That's where we'll disagree. The general public making an emotional decision over science based decisions is very poor policy. I'm not suggesting the science is perfect, but it trumps decisions based on emotion almost every time.

You believe in global warming?
Also can YOU answer why GA isn't being overrun by gobblers since they have the 3 bird limit and later season some folks seem to want here?

NOT basing this decision on emotion is EXACTLY what I am trying to put forward. GOOD science NOT a computer model. I want someone to show me the SCIENCE that justifies lowering the limit and shortening the season. So far... crickets...

Last edited by gobbler; 02/23/16 06:50 PM.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: Yelp softly] #1662585
02/23/16 06:37 PM
02/23/16 06:37 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted By: Yelp softly

In most cases you would be right, but when they admit they don't know what's wrong, so they suggest doing this til they figure it out..... Well that's different.

Its pretty simple numbers really. Matt Brock said the studies showed less than 10% of the harvest comes from birds 4-5. That is a maximum of 4.5k gobblers a year. Could be a fifth of that, who knows. So if 4,500 gobblers a year are saved, that's what about 65 extra birds in each county???? Top end. Bottom end could be less than 20 a county. Then you consider that we have almost no accountability as far as a tagging system. How many of those hunters decide to stop at 3 birds when they know it made no sense to reduce in the first place. So those portion of birds saved gets cut in half. Now we have saved 10-33 gobblers per county. So, in chilton county, there is a maximum of 1 more bird, per 13,614 acres...

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662590
02/23/16 06:46 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama

Someone sent me this. If accurate, 70% of hunters do NOT perceive a decline shocked

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662591
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Bamabucks14 Offline
12 point
Bamabucks14  Offline
12 point
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Get em' Austin

"Here, take this land mine and protect your property with it."
-Ron Swanson
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662605
02/23/16 07:20 PM
02/23/16 07:20 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

Someone sent me this. If accurate, 70% of hunters do NOT perceive a decline shocked

And furthermore, that was probably the most slanted instrument I've ever examined. It was designed to get the answers they wanted, and they still didn't get them. But in order to be "proactive", they are gonna ignore what hunters said.

The very idea of the "perceived decline" has been repeated so much that most are now accepting it as a fact. I don't know about the places in north AL that aren't really turkey habitat anyway, but there is sure no decline in the areas of the 4 counties that I hunt. But "proactive" seems to be the new catchword so I guess it covers that.

Gobbler, you might as well give up asking for a response on your question about GA. It doesn't promote us being "proactive" and nobody is gonna answer it.

How are you coming on getting the mob together? smile

Didn't I tell you that would meet on a Saturday in turkey season? And won't even tell us where. Pretty obvious that the Ruling Class doesn't want any of us peasants there. They know what is best for us. From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: NightHunter] #1662610
02/23/16 07:27 PM
02/23/16 07:27 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

I think the question the powers that be should be asking is how do the landowners feel about it? I'm talking about the people that actually make the decision on whether or not their land will be managed for turkeys, or just strictly managed for profit?

That used to be an issue that greatly concerned the department. I've seen no evidence that anyone has given it a thought in years.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662657
02/24/16 02:32 AM
02/24/16 02:32 AM
Spanish fort, al
O
Oct1981 Offline
spike
Oct1981  Offline
spike
O
Spanish fort, al
Guys i dont post on here much because i dont have tge time. Like Matt and many others here i have a young family that takes up more time than i have in a day. Most here dont know me (and i like it that way :)). I am a former employee of a large wildlife conservation organization and ive been involved with many studies on turkey and quail populations, habitat issues, etc.

i believe the science is spot on. Most of you who are so passionate about turkeys also believe this. Its starts at the nest. Birds must have ample nesting habitat not only for the protectiom of the nest but also for a safe brood rearing habitat. It must provide great cover and food to raise a new poult for the first few weeks of life at least until the point at which that bird is able to fly to escape ground predation.

However, most hunters do not have the ability, whether it be the resource (land, equipment, time, cash, etc.) or the knowledge to properly manage for nesting habitat.

So i understand the departments dilemma. All they really can control is season and bag limits. However, in my opinion, the issue is not with the law-abiding citizen who strives to kill their limit of 5 birds each year. Its with the outlaw who strives to kill 10-15 or more each year. I know most of us will never accomplish that feat, but there are those who do every year. And until we are able to properly control those people, lowering the legal limit will accomplish very little.

I dont know if the answer is the game check system or a tagging system but just like the government trying to control gun violence, it does no good to put together more and more regulations if we dont first determine how to control those who do not abide by the laws currently in place. And in my opinion, until we do that we are all sitting on this forum wasting our breath and getting very frustrated over things that will have very little affect on the game bird that we love so much.

Thays Just my .02. That and 2 more dollarrs will almost get you a gallon of gas.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662672
02/24/16 03:00 AM
02/24/16 03:00 AM
Moss Creek
Gotcha1 Offline
Bright Eyes
Gotcha1  Offline
Bright Eyes
Moss Creek
I don't have the time to read all of this and it may have been mentioned, but why all of the concentration on gobblers? One gobbler could breed 50 hens in a spring. A shortage of hens and the dam predator thing should be looked at more so than the number of gobblers. I can handle the reduction in the number of birds per season, but the April starting date -- rolleyes
We have fewer hens at our place than anytime in the past 15 years, based on my observation.
And making it easier to feed corn, ain't going to help the population a dam bit. Everybody needs a turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last edited by Gotcha1; 02/24/16 03:12 AM.

Matt Brock wears knock-off Crocs.
Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: Gotcha1] #1662701
02/24/16 03:40 AM
02/24/16 03:40 AM
Oak Grove
BREEZE1 Offline
10 point
BREEZE1  Offline
10 point
Oak Grove
Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
I don't have the time to read all of this and it may have been mentioned, but why all of the concentration on gobblers? One gobbler could breed 50 hens in a spring. A shortage of hens and the dam predator thing should be looked at more so than the number of gobblers. I can handle the reduction in the number of birds per season, but the April starting date -- rolleyes
We have fewer hens at our place than anytime in the past 15 years, based on my observation.
And making it easier to feed corn, ain't going to help the population a dam bit. Everybody needs a turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Im with you. I like the 5 limit but that's not my main concern with this. I love to hunt and the April starting date is what I have the biggest problem with. This whole proposal is stupid if you ask me.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662721
02/24/16 04:10 AM
02/24/16 04:10 AM
Oak Grove
BREEZE1 Offline
10 point
BREEZE1  Offline
10 point
Oak Grove
Its pretty easy to see the decline in #'s of hens in my area. Its rare to see flocks of hens like we did 15 to 20 years ago. Instead of 15 to 20 mostly see 4 or 5 together. Also just like a balanced deer heard its also a lot easier to find a gobbling turkey now than it was 15 years ago. Not saying that's how it should be just saying its a lot more on habitat and predator's than turkey hunters and limits.

Re: Somebody make a biological case for a later season or lower limit? [Re: gobbler] #1662725
02/24/16 04:13 AM
02/24/16 04:13 AM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL

I don't believe that was broken out by District but I'd venture to say I know who is perceiving the decline because I've met with a few of them.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.