2dogs, you knew I would finally step in smile Deer don't eat pinecones rolleyes

Originally Posted By: walt4dun
Soybeans & corn = bigger deer
Pines = smaller deer

No, No, No and No...

These are pines and it is a salad bar for deer. Great habitat and great bucks. It can carry both a large number of deer and carry them in healthy condition.

These are also pines. There is no ground cover so no food. It does not grow deer for crap. It is NOT about pines, its IS about habitat.

That is like saying these two stands are hardwoods - one has good habitat and year-round food, the other has no food except for 3 months of the year when acorns are dropping and no other redeeming qualities.

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks
[/quote]But wouldn't the genetics come from the rich soil that once or does now provide the ag fields? I really don't know but it seems it would.

The environment does not change genetics AT ALL except for over a long period of generations. For instance, if you had 2 mice and cut off their tails and bred them, the young would still have long tails. You could continue to pair offspring and breed them until you die of old age but they would still breed offspring with long tails. You could do the same by feeding them a lot and making them fat and breeding them but the size of the offspring would not change.

Last edited by gobbler; 03/07/17 04:41 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine