Originally Posted By: auburn17
With a $5-6k budget you should be able to find a Ford 3000/3600/4000 diesel. IMO for a straight up food plot tractor they are hard to beat.

I agree. If your budget is low You can get a good running '68-'75 4000 with diff lock for that. Those are the years I would start with on a Ford. The 3000/3600 is a good one too. I use to have a 3000 and it was a great machine especially for bush hogging 4-wheeler trails with a 5ft bush hog. But the 4000/4600 is a more capable tractor. For a food plot machine there is not much a 4000 would not do including run a loader if you found one that would fit it. The 4600 would be better but they are essentially the same as the 4000 just hydros (I think) are updated a bit on the 600 series... 3600/4600 models and they swapped from a generator to an alternator making the wiring a bit easier to deal with on the instrument panel.

You got options. I'm not selling anyone on the Ford, Deere and Massey Ferguson made a slew of good tractors as well. So did IH. But parts for older IH and Allis Chalmers in that horsepower range are too hard to get and can be expensive.

You absolutely can buy a used tractor that is a worn out POS. Let's face it. They are old and who knows how many actual hours are on one. But you can also get one that has been taken care of. Look at how many are on Craigslist for sale. They are still running. Anyone that says that era Ford/Deere/Massey is not dependable does not have a clue what they are talking about. A tractor bought new today and used will NOT be running in 40 years.

Look, everyone wants a 70hp 4wd tractor with a loader. Me too.They can suggest it all day long...But they aren't going to help you pay for it.

Let's take an Example: There is a Massey 265 on B'ham Craigslist first page in Wilsonville. $5500. Roll Bar and Canopy. 60 PTO Horsepower. 50 at the draw bar. Cat II lift @ 4,000 lbs. Rebuilt Perkins Diesel. Diff lock. Looks like it might need a seat and some headlights. Make a bumper for it and a little spray paint you'd have more tractor than you ever needed.

That is a more capable tractor than 90% of the people on this board have.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.