Originally Posted by RobertM
That is interesting. Wonder if the Pat's management was worried they were loosing to them parts to continue to be Super Bowl contenders in coming years and made McDaniels an offer he couldn't refuse (Belichick's job when he retires)?

All the reports I've seen say there were no guarantees about him getting the job when Lord Vader retires, nor any specific year about that potential retirement.

The other interesting twist I've seen is that the Colts were the ones who instigated the investigation into the deflated footballs, and Kraft HATES them. He holds grudges. Also, Irsay is a drug-addled weirdo. So to let McDaniels - who flopped in Denver but is IMO a solid OC - go to the Colts probably was bothering the chit out of them, especially Kraft.

The getback? Don't say a word to McDaniels about it until late in the process, let everyone including the Colts think they had him, and then stick in not just a dagger but a razor-honed carving knife and twist it hard by keeping him in Foxboro. And they did it.

McDaniels may get a HC job again but I'll bet it won't be anytime soon, and it never will be in Indy.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020