Originally Posted by TexasNative
1. I walk into Henry Ford hospital with a Detroit Free Press newspaper. It is literally grabbed from my hands and thrown in the trash because the union was striking and supporting "scabs" would not be tolerated.

2. At the convention center in Pittsburg, I needed an extension cord ran to a projector I was going to use for a presentation. Can't walk over and grab one and plug it in myself. Nope, I have to wait on some union member to walk over grab one and plug it in for me.

3. I was waiting for a operator to start a computer job for me to start testing some important software upgrades (old mainframe days). Had to wait until he finished his mandated union break. I couldn't walk up to the command console and submit it myself, other wise I was talking food off his family's table.

I used to work in management years ago for Food World. A manager just couldn't jump out there and open up a register if lines started backing up (considered it taking away hours from the union employees). We had to start calling in a cashier beginning with the person of highest seniority. Meanwhile, the customers would just stare at you in the office and wonder why you weren't out there running a cash register.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton