Originally Posted by ALFisher
I haven't done it on all my food plots. Why? Because it's been hit or miss for me. This method seems to be much more susceptible to lack of rain than discing, even though it shouldn't be that way. I'm just giving you my personal experience. It's probably because our soils are really, really sandy, and at the end of summer, you may not have enough biomass to cover the seed, or if you do, it's really heavy stemmed stuff like ragweed or dog fennel or something that just doesn't break down on top of the seed like grass. I'm going to keep trying to expand it though, because I'd love to get all of them into it. planting about 15 acres total now, and about a third in T&M.

Keep in mind that for most folks this is gonna be a rebuilding process that’s gonna take a number of years to get right. It’s not really just a matter of trying it and it being hit or miss as to whether it works. There’s likely not gonna be very many fields that do well in the beginning of the process. When you get to years 3, 4, and 5 though things should start looking a whole lot different for you assuming you’ve made the right moves to help the process along. I didn’t start out being able to grow really good looking plots when all I had was a field full of sand…..but now that I have a field with a foot deep organic layer across the top things work a whole lot differently.

If you’ve got too much broadleaf plant composition in the field and aren’t getting enough “hay” to cover your seed….then maybe try mowing it once (maybe twice if not inconvenient to do so) during the summer next year and see if that doesn’t help bring back some grass species into the mix. One of the things you’re looking for in a natural mix is a balance of grass, broadleaf, and legume. You may have to tweak things along the way to achieve the results you’re wanting but always keep in mind that every field is at some stage of a long term process.

We dont rent pigs