Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by Hevishot13
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Thanks for all the additional replies; keep them coming. I had thought about a tunnel hull, but after reading about them I thought for my purposes a plain old flat bottom might work better. I have reasonable drives to the Tallapoosa and the Cahaba. I can fish on them with my prop boat, but it's likely a question of time before I really tear something up. My prop already looks sad.

I think I would like a jet much better for the rivers, but I still want to be able to fish Lay lake and Miller's ferry and such. I don't mind going slower, but I'm concerned about not having reverse and some of the other issues. A smaller boat would probably suit me better. I was thinking of a 1545 with SS and maybe a 40/25 jet. Extreme will make one like that with a .190 bottom that I might not be able to tear up.

But it's probably a bad idea. It will be cheaper to just buy new props and lower units. But the jet looks like so much fun. smile

Buy a mud motor mr Steve. You can do anything and go anywhere

I went duck hunting with a guy who had one, but his didn't really get on a plane and we probably went 10 mph. Is that normal? I need to go faster than that.
I talked to a guy today who has a tunnel prop boat and he said that's what I need; that it's way more versatile than a jet and will go places the jet won't. Looks like I may be too old to do it before I figure this out
no his must’ve been very small and screwed up. My 23hp copperhead on my 1642 Jon boat runs 25 mph with me and hunting gear. A bigger short shaft on a lighter hull works beautifully. My buddies with their bigger boats and engines hit 27-34. All depends on the boat and engine.