</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB Work Vehicle
by BrentsFX4. 09/27/24 05:11 PM
Steiner vzf 3x12x56 scope
by frankj. 09/27/24 01:47 PM
ISO Moultie Quick lock Feeder
by HHSyelper. 09/27/24 10:59 AM
Millennium 150 lockon.
by crocker. 09/27/24 10:38 AM
Beretta 20 Ga For Sale
by Big Al. 09/27/24 10:14 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Uchee Creek Unit 11?
by !shiloh!. 09/27/24 04:39 PM
How many Process there own deer?
by Semo. 09/27/24 04:33 PM
Deer Storm Mortality/Injury
by Tree Dweller. 09/27/24 03:01 PM
Food plot after burning
by Cupstone. 09/27/24 12:10 PM
Uchee Creek unit 3
by Coosa1. 09/27/24 11:45 AM
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Fayette County Club
by Smoke_Diver. 09/18/24 08:41 PM
Looking for a fella on here
by BBD23. 09/11/24 02:03 PM
Lease bought by The Conservation Fund
by goin_out_west. 09/09/24 08:01 PM
Russell county club
by BryanfromAU. 09/08/24 11:06 AM
Greene County Club (Union) - Full Rights - Private
by DuckDown11. 08/29/24 02:36 PM
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (Auburn_03, OutdoorsAL, Kang, Warhead, goodman_hunter, frankj, Scooter7, Boathand, jwalker77, doublefistful, CouchNapper, AU7MM08, roosterbob, ALclearcut, Johnathan, Ol’Tom, ParrotHead89, klay, Bulls eye, CNC, Geezer, rblaker, BCLC, metalmuncher, fur_n_feathers, BAR1225, outdoorguy88, Tupi, El_Matador, MikeP, mossyback, seadoge8, Chickenrig, Chipnalong, BC, bowkl, lectrode, RCHRR, Sgiles, M48scout, hawndog, BCD, hoggin, Ruger7mag, Stewart36567, 700ltr308, NotsoBright, GomerPyle, RidgeRanger, jarcher38, Cuz-Pat, turfarmer, aucountry, lpman, CKyleC, chevydude2015, rst87, Dean, deadeye, Turberville, GATA87, 7x57_Mauser, Melter, woodduck, Morris, Etyson, Floorman1, cartervj, mathews prostaff, Koba, Whitetaillane, top cat, Jweeks, Fedex 1, canichols424, Alwood, Turkeyneck78, ronfromramer, ridgestalker, johndeere5036, Calvin, Cactus_buck, Ron A., Alb, UncleHuck, Bmyers142, Herdbull, Ryano, MountainTopHunter, BrentsFX4, kyles, Skullworks, rhino21, Moss, Jwbfx4, claybird, Scout10, 3bailey3, rkt, Ar-Humter, Bustinbeards, PYhunter, Daveleeal, Wapiti55, gobblebox, Joe4majors, garyc, WhoMe, Shmoe, SC53, mjs14, Rainbowstew, Madmax0818, 7 invisible), 851 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063000
03/10/20 12:10 PM
03/10/20 12:10 PM
Marshall County
Wapiti55 Online content
8 point
Wapiti55  Online Content
8 point
Marshall County
Personally, tuning a Vintage call is like refinishing a vintage guitar, it’s highly frowned upon by the collectors and could go bad.
Now that’s a personal decision that you have to make. If I were in your shoes, I’d want to hunt it too. I’d probably just use the ok side and leave it at that. If you decide to tune it, I’d try to get box call maker to help you. They may do it for you but most call makers are tight lipped about how it’s done. Some of them are that way because they buy in to it, others just go along with it because they don’t want to face the ridicule from the others. The ones that buy in, will shun you like you and turn their back as if you slept with their little sister, if you share too much information.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063001
03/10/20 12:11 PM
03/10/20 12:11 PM
Helena
3toe Offline
Talking Turkey
3toe  Offline
Talking Turkey
Helena
Good info. I was thinking it was a shorter period than that.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063042
03/10/20 01:00 PM
03/10/20 01:00 PM
Montgomery,al,usa
Davyalabama Offline
10 point
Davyalabama  Offline
10 point
Montgomery,al,usa
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
Originally Posted by 3toe
Tell us what you have tried so far. Other than adjusting the paddle screw and chalk, I'm not aware of much else that can be done.

that's pretty much all i've done; i didn't put rubber bands on it -- should i? i didn't "sand" the underside of the paddle, or the sides of the box -- just used a scotch-brite pad to dust off the old chalk from the paddle & the sides, chalked it back up, and ran it ...

Scotch Brite is all you need, you don't need to use sandpaper, the scotch brite will take off the old stuff that's all you want. Did you figure out if you have a two-sided box or one? The screw, don't turn it more than a quarter turn either way, if it doesn't get better, turn it back to the original position. It is hard to yelp on the hen side because of the positioning of your hand and moving it left to right for right handers. The right side of the box, I use it to make a jake sound. I'll yelp a few times then make a funky sounding gobble with it. That is later in the morning or if I have a tom holding up on me. I can also make a very deep cluck with it after a worbled gobble. This is because a lot of young toms are still learning a good gobble, but like most on here, I have also killed some old toms that had an awful sounding gobble. Those boxes are fantastic at making a gobble. If you want to tune it, use scotch brite to get the old chalk off ---- use blue chalk --- use small rubber bands that aren't tight, they need to be a little loose, the tight rubber bands pulls the paddles against the top of the box too hard ----- One more old trick, use a couple pieces of paper towel stuffed the length of the box, this will give the call a more throaty sound, kind of like a good muffler on a Vette vs. a fart can on a ricer.

“If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self.” Napoleon Hill
The most difficult thing to understand during conversation is silence. Thoreau
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063044
03/10/20 01:02 PM
03/10/20 01:02 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Thanks for the info on the manufacturing site. Just checked and I have 2 from Mississippi and 2 from Birmingham in my storage box at the house. The other one is at the cabin but I think it is fairly new (1980's). Never have done any research on them. Wish I wouldn't have lost that one last year plus a different one when I was a teenager.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: Wapiti55] #3063046
03/10/20 01:04 PM
03/10/20 01:04 PM
Lamar Co, AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline OP
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline OP
12 point
Lamar Co, AL
Originally Posted by Wapiti55
Personally, tuning a Vintage call is like refinishing a vintage guitar, it’s highly frowned upon by the collectors and could go bad.
Now that’s a personal decision that you have to make. If I were in your shoes, I’d want to hunt it too. I’d probably just use the ok side and leave it at that. If you decide to tune it, I’d try to get box call maker to help you. They may do it for you but most call makers are tight lipped about how it’s done. Some of them are that way because they buy in to it, others just go along with it because they don’t want to face the ridicule from the others. The ones that buy in, will shun you like you and turn their back as if you slept with their little sister, if you share too much information.

well - you're speaking to a guitarist, and I know all about "vintage value" ... quick story - i actually found a vintage guitar in the early 90's that the finish had been stripped on; i found a luthier outside Nashville that did *ALL* of Gibson's repair/custom work, back in that day, and I gave it to them to restore -- which they did an *AWESOME* job ... about a year later, there was a guitar show up there & i was encouraged to take it to George Gruhn to have it appraised; when it came my turn in the line, he basically refused to take the guitar -- refused to appraise it, saying it was a "player's guitar" ... since i was (and still am) a guitar player, i actually accepted that as a compliment & endorsement to play TF out of that guitar ... not gonna tell you what it appraises for now -- but let's just say that supply & demand caught up with George ...

this call is mine, given to me by my uncle -- and collectors can debate what i do with it after i'm pushing up daisies ... but i do see your point 100%

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 03/10/20 01:06 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: Davyalabama] #3063048
03/10/20 01:09 PM
03/10/20 01:09 PM
Lamar Co, AL
12 point
12 point
Lamar Co, AL
Originally Posted by Davyalabama
Tell us what you have tried so far. Other than adjusting the paddle screw and chalk, I'm not aware of much else that can be done.

that's pretty much all i've done; i didn't put rubber bands on it -- should i? i didn't "sand" the underside of the paddle, or the sides of the box -- just used a scotch-brite pad to dust off the old chalk from the paddle & the sides, chalked it back up, and ran it ...

Scotch Brite is all you need, you don't need to use sandpaper, the scotch brite will take off the old stuff that's all you want. Did you figure out if you have a two-sided box or one? The screw, don't turn it more than a quarter turn either way, if it doesn't get better, turn it back to the original position. It is hard to yelp on the hen side because of the positioning of your hand and moving it left to right for right handers. The right side of the box, I use it to make a jake sound. I'll yelp a few times then make a funky sounding gobble with it. That is later in the morning or if I have a tom holding up on me. I can also make a very deep cluck with it after a worbled gobble. This is because a lot of young toms are still learning a good gobble, but like most on here, I have also killed some old toms that had an awful sounding gobble. Those boxes are fantastic at making a gobble. If you want to tune it, use scotch brite to get the old chalk off ---- use blue chalk --- use small rubber bands that aren't tight, they need to be a little loose, the tight rubber bands pulls the paddles against the top of the box too hard ----- One more old trick, use a couple pieces of paper towel stuffed the length of the box, this will give the call a more throaty sound, kind of like a good muffler on a Vette vs. a fart can on a ricer.

10-4 - thx for the tips!

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 03/10/20 01:15 PM.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063068
03/10/20 01:35 PM
03/10/20 01:35 PM
Marshall County
Wapiti55 Online content
8 point
Wapiti55  Online Content
8 point
Marshall County

well - you're speaking to a guitarist, and I know all about "vintage value" ... quick story - i actually found a vintage guitar in the early 90's that the finish had been stripped on; i found a luthier outside Nashville that did *ALL* of Gibson's repair/custom work, back in that day, and I gave it to them to restore -- which they did an *AWESOME* job ... about a year later, there was a guitar show up there & i was encouraged to take it to George Gruhn to have it appraised; when it came my turn in the line, he basically refused to take the guitar -- refused to appraise it, saying it was a "player's guitar" ... since i was (and still am) a guitar player, i actually accepted that as a compliment & endorsement to play TF out of that guitar ... not gonna tell you what it appraises for now -- but let's just say that supply & demand caught up with George ...

this call is mine, given to me by my uncle -- and collectors can debate what i do with it after i'm pushing up daisies ... but i do see your point 100%

Let’s save the George discussion for another day! Plenty to say there.
Being you’re a guitarist and understand the physics behind vibration and tone/pitch, you could probably figure out a good deal of tuning the call yourself.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: Wapiti55] #3063075
03/10/20 01:41 PM
03/10/20 01:41 PM
Lamar Co, AL
12 point
12 point
Lamar Co, AL
Let’s save the George discussion for another day! Plenty to say there.
Being you’re a guitarist and understand the physics behind vibration and tone/pitch, you could probably figure out a good deal of tuning the call yourself.

ya - ole George LOL ... i don't want to disparage the guy too much; he HAS done a lot for the vintage market/community; I mean, his Gruhn's Guide was the Bible, back in the day ...

re: Lynch call, ya - i'm sure I could do stuff to it - was hoping for an "easy button" with guys on here that i kinda knew hunted w/these box calls ...

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: 3toe] #3063115
03/10/20 02:39 PM
03/10/20 02:39 PM
Homewood
Colt1917 Offline
8 point
Colt1917  Offline
8 point
Homewood
If it's an old one it may actually say Homewood, Alabama (an over-the-mountain suburb of Birmingham), which is where Mr. Lynch lived I believe when he first started making them in his garage.

Colt1917
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063132
03/10/20 03:15 PM
03/10/20 03:15 PM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Offline
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
I've never sanded the paddle or the box edges. Only chalked them. I got my box as a present from my dad I think when I was 15 or so back in the early 1980's so I'm sure it was made in MS.

Dr. B

Last edited by bamaeyedoc; 03/10/20 03:16 PM.

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: 3toe] #3063188
03/10/20 05:24 PM
03/10/20 05:24 PM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL

This.
Please do not put sandpaper on a quality box call. You'll ruin it and make it worthless.
I have a half dozen box calls that are over 50 years old and normally they don't need anything but chalk or a slight adjustment of the tension.
Before you use any other tactics please bring to me and let's play with it. I'll buy your lunch or beer or both. Just don't screw up a good call.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063246
03/10/20 06:24 PM
03/10/20 06:24 PM
Lamar Co, AL
12 point
12 point
Lamar Co, AL
Out back & everybody, don’t worry!! all i have done tonite is play with the screw & make sure all the old chalk is gone - re-chalked & it is sounding 10X better!!

BTW ... my uncle’s old Lynch was made in B’ham; shoutout to Jerry (WildlifeBiologist) for coaching me thru these simple changes

Getting excited about taking a bird this year w/uncle Shorty’s old box - he couldn’t have bestowed a better gift to me

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063262
03/10/20 06:37 PM
03/10/20 06:37 PM
Birmingham,AL
L
low wall Offline
6 point
low wall  Offline
6 point
L
Birmingham,AL
I still hunt with a couple of Birmingham calls, both a Fool Proof and a.World Champion M.L.Lynch started making his calls in his garage on Edgewood Blvd.
They generally have his address on the inside, and quite often contact info on the outside.
The REALLY old ones have a Homewood address, not Birmingham. I've never seen a Homewood call priced where I was willing to pay for it. The old ones work great, but just be careful. They can be crushed in a pack .
The calls specify #10 rubber bands. Hooked up right, the World Championt can be shaken to imitate a gobble. The bands won't keep it silent in your pack. Use an old sock.

Used to be a lifeguard, until that blue kid got me fired.
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063275
03/10/20 06:44 PM
03/10/20 06:44 PM
Lamar Co, AL
12 point
12 point
Lamar Co, AL
yup - mine has the 306 Edgewood Blvd address on the inside

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 03/11/20 08:24 AM.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063307
03/10/20 07:07 PM
03/10/20 07:07 PM
Chelsea
lectrode Online content
10 point
lectrode  Online Content
10 point
Chelsea
After every season I blow all the chalk out of the wood grain with a high pressure air nozzel. Its the only way to get most of the old chalk off. Scotch brite is ok but it pushes a lot of chalk deeper into the grain

You haven't been blocked until you've been flock blocked!!!
Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: low wall] #3063333
03/10/20 07:25 PM
03/10/20 07:25 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by low wall
I still hunt with a couple of Birmingham calls, both a Fool Proof and a.World Champion M.L.Lynch started making his calls in his garage on Edgewood Blvd.
They generally have his address on the inside, and quite often contact info on the outside.
The REALLY old ones have a Homewood address, not Birmingham. I've never seen a Homewood call priced where I was willing to pay for it. The old ones work great, but just be careful. They can be crushed in a pack .
The calls specify #10 rubber bands. Hooked up right, the World Championt can be shaken to imitate a gobble. The bands won't keep it silent in your pack. Use an old sock.

I remember my dad sitting on an old one and crushing it Don't know if it was old enough to be a Homewood call but 5he newer one he replaced it with was a Birmingham call so who knows. it hit the trash back in the early 80's.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: lectrode] #3063440
03/10/20 08:38 PM
03/10/20 08:38 PM
Amory,MS
T
Turkey Petter Offline
8 point
Turkey Petter  Offline
8 point
T
Amory,MS
Originally Posted by lectrode
After every season I blow all the chalk out of the wood grain with a high pressure air nozzel. Its the only way to get most of the old chalk off. Scotch brite is ok but it pushes a lot of chalk deeper into the grain

Exactly!!!! That’s why I use sandpaper to lightly sand the lid and sides! Of course, you can’t get carried away or you will mess it up.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063636
03/11/20 07:36 AM
03/11/20 07:36 AM
TINCUP,CO.
king Offline
4 point
king  Offline
4 point
TINCUP,CO.
bama guitar, please don't put sand paper on it , you have a valuable call, don't mess it up, it may not sound just right to you, but if lynch made it, turkeys will love it!!!

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063639
03/11/20 07:40 AM
03/11/20 07:40 AM
Lamar Co, AL
12 point
12 point
Lamar Co, AL
hey guys -- so here's the call ... i have NOT sand-paper'ed the call ... just turned the screw & removed old chalk & re-chalked - it's sounding good enough to kill a bird now, no doubt ... on the hen side ... the gobbler side of it sounds very questionable!! LOL

tbh, i really have no idea how much (or little) uncle Shorty used this box call; he was NOT known as a turkey hunter, at all ... but back in the day, he was one hell of a deer/dog runnin' hunter - i honestly think he enjoyed talking on the CB radio & running the dirt roads wide open in a pickup more than the hunting itself rofl when the deer hunting vibe changed to shootin' houses & rifles, i think it took a lot of the fun out of it for him -- he still went, but he missed slingin' rocks up the side of his truck! HA!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 03/11/20 07:58 AM.

Re: HELP: Tuning Old Lynch Box Call [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3063647
03/11/20 07:57 AM
03/11/20 07:57 AM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Never seen one with 3 holes drilled in the top like that

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.