Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
Originally Posted by Wapiti55
Personally, tuning a Vintage call is like refinishing a vintage guitar, it’s highly frowned upon by the collectors and could go bad.
Now that’s a personal decision that you have to make. If I were in your shoes, I’d want to hunt it too. I’d probably just use the ok side and leave it at that. If you decide to tune it, I’d try to get box call maker to help you. They may do it for you but most call makers are tight lipped about how it’s done. Some of them are that way because they buy in to it, others just go along with it because they don’t want to face the ridicule from the others. The ones that buy in, will shun you like you and turn their back as if you slept with their little sister, if you share too much information.

well - you're speaking to a guitarist, and I know all about "vintage value" ... quick story - i actually found a vintage guitar in the early 90's that the finish had been stripped on; i found a luthier outside Nashville that did *ALL* of Gibson's repair/custom work, back in that day, and I gave it to them to restore -- which they did an *AWESOME* job ... about a year later, there was a guitar show up there & i was encouraged to take it to George Gruhn to have it appraised; when it came my turn in the line, he basically refused to take the guitar -- refused to appraise it, saying it was a "player's guitar" ... since i was (and still am) a guitar player, i actually accepted that as a compliment & endorsement to play TF out of that guitar ... not gonna tell you what it appraises for now -- but let's just say that supply & demand caught up with George ...

this call is mine, given to me by my uncle -- and collectors can debate what i do with it after i'm pushing up daisies ... but i do see your point 100%

Let’s save the George discussion for another day! Plenty to say there.
Being you’re a guitarist and understand the physics behind vibration and tone/pitch, you could probably figure out a good deal of tuning the call yourself.