Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Well, a local (ATL) medical examiner has already released a report saying that the thug was shot in the back and the death was a homicide. I have read/heard, more than once, that if a perp is fleeing/escaping WITH A WEAPON that shooting in the back is justified as the officers are stopping further threats to unknown persons by the perp. This shooting fits that to the letter.

That scenario gets asked a lot by LE in training sessions and the answer is it is justified if it is shown beyond a reasonable certainty that the perp is an imminent danger to someone else if he gets away. His past actions are going to play a big part in determining this.

My opinion on the Atl shooting is that it hinges on a couple of issues. #1 Does Atl PD Policy and Procedures consider a taser a lethal use of force? The mayor seems to be flip flopping on this. If the P&P says it is not lethal force, then can the officer's defense team make a case that the perp would possibly come back and take his service weapon away from him while he was incapacitated? #2 Can the prosecution show beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer knew that was a taser and not a pistol that the perp pointed at him?

In my mind those are the questions that should make or break any case against the officer. I use the term should because it looks like his goose has already been cooked to serve at the sacraficial dinner. He won't get a fair trial in Atlanta.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.