Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I have several fields with Orangeberg soil that most definitely benefit from being turned. I have some others that are a sandy loam and it doesn't seem to help them as much. My garden land in Coosa county is another soil type that benefits from being turned, and I just do it every year. I've seen enough to know that there is no point in experimenting with it; just turn it every year. I don't think it makes any difference whether you use a diskplow or a moldboard; the effect is the same. It's a lot easier for me to get a neat job with the moldboard, but that may be due to my specific plows and the limited skill of the operator.

Auburn ran some experiments years ago on cotton land that had hardpans in the soil. Turning the fields definitely improved yields, but they also found that yields improved almost as much by growing a crop of Bahia grass one year. The Bahia roots would punch holes in the hardpan, and then the cotton roots could use those holes. The effect lasted for several years before they would have to either turn it or grow another Bahia crop. If you have soil like this, you can increase yields for sure by doing something to the hardpan.

Goatkiller would not be able to bear watching me break land with my 26 hp tractor and a 2 bottom moldboard, but if I just gear it down and go slow it will do the job. You already have the equipment you need; give it a try and see how it works. If I had any doubts, I would try breaking half of several plots and see how they do compared to the other half. Auburn ain't the only place that can do Ag experiments. Good luck with it!

[Linked Image]

Were is that like button for that pic? I've got two 14 inch john deer ploughs for sale if anybody wants one. They're antiques.

It be's that way sometimes.

www.sunpoolcompany.com