Originally Posted by Super Dave
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Take for example something like that plaque causing cholesterol. I've read info that suggests it's only deposited to protect arteries. If you removed the reason for the arterial damage,then there wouldn't be any plaque. I've also read that sugar is a major cause of the arterial damage. In that case, there would be no fats-cholesterol in sugar,but it would cause your body to produce cholesterol.

There's lots of things along those same lines. For example your blood will carry a large amount of a certain growth hormone if you eat a lot of meat. That growth hormone is great if you are building muscle but if you aren't actively building muscle,that growth hormone can cause tumor growth.

I haven't heard any information on LDL protecting arteries from damage. I'll research it though. The LDL plaque build up does cause damage. The artery has 3 layers, an inner layer called the intima, a muscular layer, and an outer layer called adventitia. The LDL builds up between the intima and the muscular layer causing a narrowing in the artery over time. Calcium can also be deposited in the plaque which can be seen by CT or on X-ray. When the inner layer ruptures the body's natural response is to form a clot at the injury site which can quickly occlude the already narrowed artery causing an acute blockage, or heart attack if it is a coronary artery, stroke if it is the brain.

As for the sugar causing damage to the arteries........ High blood sugar, diabetes, if not controlled does contribute to arterial disease. It causes an inflammation process that hardens the arteries and can cause the liver to dump more harmful fats into the bloodstream which leads to potentially more plaque build up in the arteries.

The hormone stuff I will have to research, not my area of expertise. LOL

David

There's a lot more going on than we realize,or even guess,is what I've come to believe. The more I learn,the more I realize I don't know. That inflammation deal is very significant though. From what I've studied it seems that most of our major diseases are directly related to inflammation. I've come to believe or theorize in my mind anyway that our major problem dietary speaking is our constant consumption of calories,high sugar calories in particular. We have constant release of insulin to deal with it and we become insulin resistant as well as having the inflammatory response from just a constant bombardment of calories

How many Americans do you suppose go even 2 waking hours a day without consuming calories in some form? Sometimes we might even wake during the night and grab a drink of something other than water.