So now taking it a step farther…….Let’s say our management efforts ARE lowering the soil organic matter %……What impact does that have?

[Linked Image]

As soil OM is lost and the growing conditions decline then it creates an environment where only certain pioneer plants are able to thrive. You have impacted variables like soil moisture, soil tilth, soil structure, aeration, nutrient holding capacity, etc, etc….This is how specie composition is affected and changed……This is the same field years ago dominated completely with crabgrass due to the soil conditions you see above.

[Linked Image]

Compare that to the specie composition now…..same field, really close to the same exact spot. There’s actually a lot more diversity across the field than just what you see in this one pic too with probably 20+ species present now …..The big picture concept to recognize is that soil organic matter influences species composition……..That same concept plays out just the same whether you call it a food plot, timber stand understory, or a quail block…….Changes in soil OM = changes in specie composition due to changes in growing conditions. I think that could be a “natural law”.

[Linked Image]

One plant that has really jumped out at me as the soil has changed is pokeweed. It seems to only establish and grow in my richest spots which suggests that it may be heavily reliant on more improved conditions…….

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 07/21/21 09:44 AM.

We dont rent pigs