Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by Fldoghunter
I'm scared to try TSS. I'm killing deer with lead. I don't want to talk myself into them $6-8 shells. I like to shoot. It would cost me $40 every time a Buck crossed on me.

When I had dogs, cost of ammo was far from a consideration.
Dog food, wormer, truck repairs, go’s collars in the end, $$$$ field trialing $$$$$ (but I was usually winning money on that), gas , etc…..

$40 on buckshot would not have mattered. Especially if it increased my range with my favorite shotgun. Personally, I hate a shotgun for deer, but if I had to use one, I’d probably shoot TSS.

Where allowed, a Ruger Deerfield 44mag is as good a deer dogging weapon there is.

While everything cost loads of money, I try to save money where I can. If TSS cost $50 a pound and you shoot a 2oz load, just the shot comes to $6.25 a shell. Lets just round that up to $7 a loaded shell. You shoot at a deer 5 times, you done spent $35 dollars. I usually start the season with at least 5 boxes with the ability to load more if I need to. That's $175 in just shells.

When I started pouring my own lead, My cost per shell went down to about 38 cents each. That's in a new primed hull. My shotgun with my handloads will hold a 12-13" 40 yard pattern. I shot a buck last season in front of the dogs at close to 70 yards. I shot him 3 times when he went across an opening in front of me. From the back of his ribs to his nose, I put close to 20 00 pellets in him. He crashed into a tree so hard when he died that he busted a horn. I don't see a reason to go to TSS. I could see it if I wanted to hunt with a 20 gauge or something, but not in the gun I'm shooting now.

I hunted with only a rifle for a few years. I missed several deer that would have been easy shots with a shotgun. Most of my shot opportunities are at 75 yards or less. The deer is usually moving, and sometimes the shots come through thin brush (gall berries and palmettoes). For me and in my situation, I feel a tight patterning shotgun is the right tool for the job. If I wanted to use a rifle, I think that Ruger 44 carbine would be hard to beat though.

May the sound of hounds never die!