</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB Upright Freezer
by Bamarich2. 10/17/24 06:49 PM
Camo Cleanout CHEAP
by RedneckNinji. 10/17/24 11:33 AM
2XL Jackets
by RedneckNinji. 10/17/24 11:08 AM
WTB 20 ga Accutips
by SuperSpike. 10/16/24 10:44 PM
Contender barrels for sale
by Oscarflytyer. 10/16/24 09:26 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Coyotes and corn
by TDog93. 10/17/24 10:27 PM
Season Predictions
by TDog93. 10/17/24 10:24 PM
Cell Camera Question
by Forrestgump1. 10/17/24 06:15 PM
List Of Processors
by mw2015. 10/17/24 02:12 PM
Best public land
by jdhunter2011. 10/17/24 11:26 AM
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
TRAIL cam on WMA
by Trecker1. 10/04/24 04:45 PM
Fayette County Club
by Smoke_Diver. 09/18/24 08:41 PM
Alabaster area
by Droptine-13. 07/26/24 02:00 PM
Randolph, AL
by TwoRs. 06/25/24 11:47 AM
Florala, Alabama club openings
by Lead Poison. 06/18/24 11:09 AM
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (CreekCrosser, jacannon, coosabuckhunter, catdoctor, Woody1, Holcomb, bhammedic84, Gulfcoast, 1 invisible), 325 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3750293
09/20/22 05:19 PM
09/20/22 05:19 PM
Chambers Cnty./Ft. Morgan Ala.
B
Buckwheat Offline
8 point
Buckwheat  Offline
8 point
B
Chambers Cnty./Ft. Morgan Ala.
My Daddy and his folks grew up/lived in Lee County, Ala. I remember in the late 50's through about 1964....He and a Buddy here would leave on a Thursday and go "Somewhere" on the Tombigbee over in Mississippi and go on Dog Drives. The Dog Men road Horses on the hunt. They were told to "Kill any and all Deer....Bucks/Does/Yearlings"....as they were overpopulated and harming the Crops!! He killed a Big Doe in 1961. Nobody knew much about a Deers' habits back then.....Nor that they wouldn't Spread out and expand there range much if Plenty of Food was Available. Later on in 1967.....And I got Old Enough to Really Hunt..(Age 10)....he was asked by Miller Lumber in Selma if he might be interested in Leasing some of there land for Deer/Turkey....( He bought a LOT of Poplar and Cottonwood from Miller). Elm Bluff Hunting Club was Born.....Leased 10,000 Acres on the Alabama River for 50 Cents an Acre. I remember the first couple years were Lean...Go and Go and Go......FREEZE.....Go.....FREEZE on Dog Drives. Killed maybe 5 or 6 the first couple years then.......it got Better and Better. Went on about 6 hunts before I saw my first Deer....A Doe. The Bucks that were killed were BIG. I still remember a 9 Point Buck one of the members' Son Killed in 1969-----We ALL witnessed the weighing on a Cotton Scale just north on hwy 41----317 Pounds. Deer was Abnormally LONG.....and Had a BEER BELLY from Feeding on all the Soybeans Grown back then.....and th' wealth of White Oak Acorns..

Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3750297
09/20/22 05:29 PM
09/20/22 05:29 PM
Covington county AL
Zzzfog Offline
6 point
Zzzfog  Offline
6 point
Covington county AL
Nice pic the good ole days of deer hunting to me

Right and wrong will never change---only people's perception!
Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3750574
09/21/22 08:25 AM
09/21/22 08:25 AM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nightwatchman Offline
8 point
Nightwatchman  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by Remington270
What county? I figure many counties had zero deer in 1965

It was in Perry county, and I was hunting with a community group called Cahaba/Okmulgee something or other. They didn't call it a hunting club, but it sort of functioned like one. Anyone in the community who wanted to go could be a member, and I don't think it cost anything. Various landowners took turns organizing the hunts, and we all met at the local store early Saturday morning to draw stands. People would be scattered out over several miles and multiple packs of dogs would be set loose in different directions. You stayed on your stand all morning. Even at age 10, I was put on a stand by myself and knew dang well that I had better not leave the stand until they picked me up.

The importance of not leaving your stand was so drilled into me that I dared not take a step away from my stand. On one hunt I drew a stand on the bank of the Cahaba river, and there was only one other stander below me and he was 400 yds away. The dogs on the other side of the river ran a nice 7 pt into the river right across from me, but the current carried him downstream maybe 75 yds before he climbed out on my side. I could have easily ran down the bank and been right at him when he climbed out, but I was afraid to move. The stander below me didn't even see the deer, but he saw the dogs when they swam the river after him. Another stander eventually killed the deer over a mile away.

Then when I told the story, everybody gave me a hard time for not running down the bank and shooting him. It all left me confused as to the rules, and made me develop a dislike for organized hunts with a bunch of rules.

Those community hunts existed for only a few years. As deer became more plentiful, the landowners started leasing their lands and if you wanted to hunt you had to pay. Those first years were a unique time that we will never see again.

Any shot you guys were meeting up at Coleman's or Crow's or the G and H?

If so, you probably hunted with my Grandfather back then

Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: Nightwatchman] #3750589
09/21/22 08:37 AM
09/21/22 08:37 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline OP
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline OP
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by Nightwatchman

It was in Perry county, and I was hunting with a community group called Cahaba/Okmulgee something or other. They didn't call it a hunting club, but it sort of functioned like one. Anyone in the community who wanted to go could be a member, and I don't think it cost anything. Various landowners took turns organizing the hunts, and we all met at the local store early Saturday morning to draw stands. People would be scattered out over several miles and multiple packs of dogs would be set loose in different directions. You stayed on your stand all morning. Even at age 10, I was put on a stand by myself and knew dang well that I had better not leave the stand until they picked me up.

The importance of not leaving your stand was so drilled into me that I dared not take a step away from my stand. On one hunt I drew a stand on the bank of the Cahaba river, and there was only one other stander below me and he was 400 yds away. The dogs on the other side of the river ran a nice 7 pt into the river right across from me, but the current carried him downstream maybe 75 yds before he climbed out on my side. I could have easily ran down the bank and been right at him when he climbed out, but I was afraid to move. The stander below me didn't even see the deer, but he saw the dogs when they swam the river after him. Another stander eventually killed the deer over a mile away.

Then when I told the story, everybody gave me a hard time for not running down the bank and shooting him. It all left me confused as to the rules, and made me develop a dislike for organized hunts with a bunch of rules.

Those community hunts existed for only a few years. As deer became more plentiful, the landowners started leasing their lands and if you wanted to hunt you had to pay. Those first years were a unique time that we will never see again.

No, that was the store that also functioned as the Suttle post office. They had most everything in the store, but all of the buildings are gone now. I'm not familiar with the stores you mentioned; must be an entirely different area.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3750635
09/21/22 10:04 AM
09/21/22 10:04 AM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nightwatchman Offline
8 point
Nightwatchman  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
Originally Posted by Nightwatchman

No, that was the store that also functioned as the Suttle post office. They had most everything in the store, but all of the buildings are gone now. I'm not familiar with the stores you mentioned; must be an entirely different area.

Yeah suttle wouldve been just south of the area i am referring too. This woulda been Northeast perry county almost in Chilton county

Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3751066
09/21/22 08:00 PM
09/21/22 08:00 PM
Hoover,Al. StateChamps
B
Big Bore Offline
10 point
Big Bore  Offline
10 point
B
Hoover,Al. StateChamps
This has brought back some fond memories of my Dad taking me when I was a little boy. I lost him to Leukemia when I was only 19 but those hunts burned deep into my memory. I can still remember the excitement of riding in the truck as they put out the standers before the drive.

Hunting brings out the worst in people.
Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3751097
09/21/22 08:36 PM
09/21/22 08:36 PM
Montgomery, AL
Hunting-231 Offline
14 point
Hunting-231  Offline
14 point
Montgomery, AL
PCP - THANK YOU!!!!!

Brings back so many great and wonderful memories of when I was young!!!!!

Killed my 1st deer in 72 when I was 8-yrs old - certainly not near as good as the one you killed (mine was an exceptionally small spike - barely breaking through the skin), but you would have thought I killed the world record deer the way my dad and grandpa acted. I remember every moment.

"The struggle you're in today, is developing the strength you need for tomorrow."
Re: One I kilt on dog drive last year [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3751147
09/21/22 09:37 PM
09/21/22 09:37 PM
Shoal Creek
Bowhunter2011 Online content
4 point
Bowhunter2011  Online Content
4 point
Shoal Creek
Man am this sounds fun…I’ve always wanted to go on a dog hunt and never have. I’ve been on a man drive and it was pretty fun but would love to hear the dogs coming.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.