Pretty sure turkeys can sense your emotions if you're not in tune with Nature. It really helps to get not worked up about whether you kill one or not. It's the being in tune just like everything else in the woods and making like a turkey that you want. If you know how to kill them it's going to happen if you stay at it. I guess most people don't believe in the magic of Nature like that, but if it's not magic then how does a bird get us so enthralled?

I sure don't get out of sorts over not killing when I'm calling for my wife or son. The number of birds I've put in front of them and they just never even shot at is astounding. The sandwich maker totally loses control of herself. At this point it's a surprise if a shot goes off. It's tons of fun, but it could be extremely frustrating if I let it be about whether there's a grip and grin at the end.

Took a pic of the boy and the tree he shot a couple years ago. I mean whatcha gonna do?! I had the gobbler at 20 yards and the boy and his gun pointed at it and me saying shoot, shooooot...shoooot the turkey..... over and over. He didn't unlock enough to shoot until the bird was at forty through some brush. Gosh lee. I laugh still. He groans. I laugh more.