Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by howl
Originally Posted by twaldrop4
Originally Posted by howl
Ain't nobody checking beard nor spur length before shooting. At least I hope not. That's as boring as deer farming.

I will walk away from a round gobble 2yo to get made a fool of by a probable limbhanger, though. That's turkey hunting to me.

Aging turkeys and dominant gobblers etc.. sound exactly like trying to make it like deer hunting.

Full fan + gobble = shoot.

I can see where you'd take it that way, but no. Most people into antlers only care about measurements. In fact many of the serious ones I know think in terms of sweat equity, cell cam pics and killing on a food plot with no real hunting. The only qualification for trophy status is the tape measure. You can't measure what makes a gobbler a trophy.

That's why I'll walk away from a 2yo, after I've already killed one. Older birds offer more of a hunt, most of the time. I like hunting turkeys much more than killing them.

You can tell a 2 year old from a 3 year old, BEFORE he is dead? How do you do it?

I had a system that I thought worked pretty well for telling the 2s and 3s apart AFTER killing them, but the biologists on here told me it wasn't reliable. If you can tell them apart when they are still alive, that's very impressive.

I suspect you can tell the difference between a younger gobbler and an older bird by sound and behavior. Your younger bird is going to be a 2yo more often than not because that is what exists within a population.