Tracked this one in southern Tn. Was shot with ML Saturday morning at 7:30. He had tracked it about 400 yds to where he lost blood at a steep creek bank. Him and 3 others had searched both directions at the creek for about 75 yds and could not find anything so he called. I decided it sounded like it was hit back and told him I would come after dark.

It was 12 hours after shot time when we arrived and decided to try and pick up the trail just prior to last blood. Scout hit on it immediately where it crossed the railroad track and I was pretty certain this deer was fatally wounded. She made it to their last blood and started searching back and forth. He started to the south and I told them to just wait there. At that time she turned and headed north so I just went that direction. We made it about 150 yds up the creek to a bed that had a little blood in it. She worked ahead another 200 yds or so to where she went in the creek and then back out of the creek where we found another small spot of blood. About another 200 yds later she works up a steep creek bank to where she sniffs around and starts working real slow. I shined the light ahead and there he lay looking at us. I called the hunter up to verify that was his buck and he verified it was.

We were trying to figure out our next game plan (in TN you can't carry a weapon at night). He finally laid his head over and expired 13 hours after the shot.

https://sharedalbums.b-cdn.net/6cc2337d-3a06-4cd7-a371-bff7a9675a14.jpg?class=display

Last edited by hitek; 11/08/23 03:12 PM.