</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO bow
by Javelin1012. 09/21/24 08:20 PM
Ping G irons golf set 4-pw right handed
by toyota05. 09/21/24 04:08 PM
Coon feeder $20
by Bigwhitey. 09/21/24 01:25 PM
Boys or girls package.
by BOFF. 09/21/24 10:25 AM
Mathews Ignition Bow $200.00 for all
by BOFF. 09/21/24 10:02 AM
Serious Deer Talk
South Alabama Outdoors
by UncleHuck. 09/21/24 10:26 PM
Companion clover
by fr8-shkr. 09/21/24 08:42 PM
Corn Prices
by grundan. 09/21/24 12:32 AM
2024-2025 SOA Hunts
by Slowclimb35. 09/20/24 11:08 PM
Rifle deer hunt recommendations
by UncleHuck. 09/20/24 10:32 PM
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Fayette County Club
by Smoke_Diver. 09/18/24 08:41 PM
Looking for a fella on here
by BBD23. 09/11/24 02:03 PM
Lease bought by The Conservation Fund
by goin_out_west. 09/09/24 08:01 PM
Russell county club
by BryanfromAU. 09/08/24 11:06 AM
Greene County Club (Union) - Full Rights - Private
by DuckDown11. 08/29/24 02:36 PM
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (Shane99, CrimsonWSM, Ragin-Cajun, twaldrop4, Cactus_buck, russellb, courseup, 3 invisible), 513 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101003
03/14/24 12:16 PM
03/14/24 12:16 PM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline
14 point
L
Chelsea
I had a financial advisor for years and he never really made me any money. I have made more money in the last year and a half in my fidelity account in one fund than I made in probably 10 years with that guy. He was a nice guy, but... nice doesn't earn you $.

It's not hard to do some research and find mutual funds that have a track record of growth. Find one that has grown alot in the last 10 years, and its probably a good one, as are index funds.

It is just hard to save $ when everything keeps going up. I just shopped my car insurance, going to switch tomorrow. That's going to be $220 a month. Interested to see what the house insurance will come in at.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101006
03/14/24 12:19 PM
03/14/24 12:19 PM
Satsuma
kodiak06 Offline
Booner
kodiak06  Offline
Booner
Satsuma
Originally Posted by Irishguy
Originally Posted by capehorn24
My biggest issue with Dave’s plan is credit cards, I understand his strategy but, I am 65yo and never had a credit card balance, payed it monthly or I didn’t get it till I could pay it off. We have always kept our needs and wants separate.

We buy everything with a credit card and pay it off at the end of every month. Free money for a month and airline miles too.

Same here, except I have a cash-back card

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101009
03/14/24 12:24 PM
03/14/24 12:24 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Dave is ok for beginning earners, and really he is just telling folks stuff they should have learned in grade school but schools don't teach basic money management anymore.
He comes up short on a lot of things and somethings he is just flat out wrong about. He is still telling folks to put cash in envelopes, but people under 25 can't even find envelopes in a Walmart because they hardly ever use them anymore. And folks under 20 have trouble operating an envelope.

Never Trust Government

"You can be broke but you cant be poor." Ruthie-May Webster
Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Skinny] #4101015
03/14/24 12:34 PM
03/14/24 12:34 PM
Alabama
B
bama_earl Offline
8 point
bama_earl  Offline
8 point
B
Alabama
Originally Posted by Skinny
Dave is ok for beginning earners, and really he is just telling folks stuff they should have learned in grade school but schools don't teach basic money management anymore.
He comes up short on a lot of things and somethings he is just flat out wrong about. He is still telling folks to put cash in envelopes, but people under 25 can't even find envelopes in a Walmart because they hardly ever use them anymore. And folks under 20 have trouble operating an envelope.

When I first started out I used a bank bag to store my cash, then I would add the receipts and tall it up at the end of the day. I guess that was the same as envelops. But I quit doing that after maybe 2 years. But back then I was making around $300 a week.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Skinny] #4101017
03/14/24 12:35 PM
03/14/24 12:35 PM
Lickskillet, AL
Irishguy Offline OP
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Irishguy  Offline OP
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Lickskillet, AL

Public schools don't teach personal finance, because they don't want young people knowing about frugality. Next thing you know they will be questioning government deficit spending and why there's no balanced budget and why we need to pay $350 million for each fighter jet and why a space hammer costs $485k.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101020
03/14/24 12:40 PM
03/14/24 12:40 PM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6

And I'm not ashamed

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101025
03/14/24 12:58 PM
Birmingham, AL, Jefferson
M
MCW Offline
4 point
MCW  Offline
4 point
M
Birmingham, AL, Jefferson
Y’all must not have heard JB’s SOTU speech. Everybody is doing great! Inflation is under control! You’re better off than you have ever been!

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101026
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Originally Posted by Irishguy

Public schools don't teach personal finance, because they don't want young people knowing about frugality. Next thing you know they will be questioning government deficit spending and why there's no balanced budget and why we need to pay $350 million for each fighter jet and why a space hammer costs $485k.

A recent poll (I'll see if I can find it when I get the chance) showed that people under 30 think about cash-money and card-money (cc or debit) as two different things. You can't get music, tv, games, or half of the useless stuff kids want with cash, so cash is not all that real to them.On the other hand, to them anyway, cash is not real and not in any way related to what is in a person's bank account. Its just something you swap and you can't get much with it anyway cause nobody carries a bunch of cash anymore, and you can catch COVID from cash so it has to be bad. Yes, they actually believe that. Now they are getting rid of plastic cards so you just use your phone. That makes your personal data less secure than the money in your bank account.

Never Trust Government

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Lockjaw] #4101035
03/14/24 01:25 PM
03/14/24 01:25 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by Lockjaw
I had a financial advisor for years and he never really made me any money. I have made more money in the last year and a half in my fidelity account in one fund than I made in probably 10 years with that guy. He was a nice guy, but... nice doesn't earn you $.

It's not hard to do some research and find mutual funds that have a track record of growth. Find one that has grown alot in the last 10 years, and its probably a good one, as are index funds.

It is just hard to save $ when everything keeps going up. I just shopped my car insurance, going to switch tomorrow. That's going to be $220 a month. Interested to see what the house insurance will come in at.

No offense lockjaw, but you can throw a dart against a wall and make money in a rising market. Picking a fund based on the last 10 years may be the single worst selection process. I'll also add that unless you work for a large brokerage house the info about what is happening inside actively managed funds is pretty poor. I was amazed at what I didnt know when I switched companies. The brokerages just have tools that the average invester doeant have access to (that also goes for many financial services firms).

What happens when you lose 50% one year.... thats right, you have to make 100% just to get back to where you were. Financial advising is more about structuring assets and risk management. High returns dont mean much if it exposes you to losses or if the assets are set up using poor tax/rate/access strategies.

Maybe your advisor was bad, but thinking you are better than him after a year is pretty bold. Let the market go through some corrective cycles and then you'll be able to take a victory lap if you dont lose money.

Maybe one day I'll start a thread about my concerns related to indexed funds, but I'll just say that the level of correlation between asset classes today along with the algorithms that drive trades scares the heck out of me. I have these discussions with my advisor and he gets a kick out of it (we are friends). But, for that reason I dont own many indexed ETFs or mutual funds.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Semo] #4101038
03/14/24 01:36 PM
03/14/24 01:36 PM
Alabama
B
bama_earl Offline
8 point
bama_earl  Offline
8 point
B
Alabama
Originally Posted by Semo

No offense lockjaw, but you can throw a dart against a wall and make money in a rising market. Picking a fund based on the last 10 years may be the single worst selection process. I'll also add that unless you work for a large brokerage house the info about what is happening inside actively managed funds is pretty poor. I was amazed at what I didnt know when I switched companies. The brokerages just have tools that the average invester doeant have access to (that also goes for many financial services firms).

What happens when you lose 50% one year.... thats right, you have to make 100% just to get back to where you were. Financial advising is more about structuring assets and risk management. High returns dont mean much if it exposes you to losses or if the assets are set up using poor tax/rate/access strategies.

Maybe your advisor was bad, but thinking you are better than him after a year is pretty bold. Let the market go through some corrective cycles and then you'll be able to take a victory lap if you dont lose money.

Maybe one day I'll start a thread about my concerns related to indexed funds, but I'll just say that the level of correlation between asset classes today along with the algorithms that drive trades scares the heck out of me. I have these discussions with my advisor and he gets a kick out of it (we are friends). But, for that reason I dont own many indexed ETFs or mutual funds.

The average Joe walks into Fidelity or an Edward Jones office and they are pitching mutual and bond funds. Never as one recommended I buy Costco or any individual stocks. I agree with Lockjaw, for the average guy a Vanguard Index Fund that tracks the market is a good investment option. Especially if you are just getting started. Or maybe I am not in the income bracket of Financial Advisors who recommend individual stocks.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101040
03/14/24 01:41 PM
03/14/24 01:41 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Wish I could afford access to the Bloomberg data feed. But that $300,000/month beginner package is a little steep for me. That is instant market data and deep individual corporate financial data that the big kids on Wall Street use to make decisions.

Never Trust Government

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101042
03/14/24 01:45 PM
03/14/24 01:45 PM
Florida
P
Peach Offline
10 point
Peach  Offline
10 point
P
Florida
Hard to believe it’s that bad.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: bama_earl] #4101044
03/14/24 01:46 PM
03/14/24 01:46 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by bama_earl

The average Joe walks into Fidelity or an Edward Jones office and they are pitching mutual and bond funds. Never as one recommended I buy Costco or any individual stocks. I agree with Lockjaw, for the average guy a Vanguard Index Fund that tracks the market is a good investment option. Especially if you are just getting started. Or maybe I am not in the income bracket of Financial Advisors who recommend individual stocks.

Well, I wouldnt walk into a fidelity of Ed Jones office. They arent going to go the individual stock route because their business is mutual funds. Plus, my guess is they dont want to throw darts at individual stocks for guys that dont have enough money to diversify. Rule of thumb is 100k to get a diversified individual US large with maybe some midcaps portfolio. Then you still need to use some type of open or closed fund or ETFs to diversify depending on risk tolerances. And that is just the equity side. Sure you can buy a few stocks here and there but there is a difference between investing and speculating.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101047
03/14/24 02:01 PM
03/14/24 02:01 PM
Meridianville
DryFire Offline
14 point
DryFire  Offline
14 point
Meridianville
I'm part of the cashless society. Rarely do I carry more than $20. 99% of all my purchases are on a credit card, paid off each month of which I get a cash back refund. If a merchant wants me to pay a additional fee for using a CC, I find somewhere else to shop. All my banking is done electronically, except for the one or two checks I have to write during the year.

The cash back is stashed in a Quicken account and I use it once a year for vacation.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Semo] #4101052
03/14/24 02:17 PM
03/14/24 02:17 PM
Alabama
B
bama_earl Offline
8 point
bama_earl  Offline
8 point
B
Alabama
Originally Posted by bama_earl

Well, I wouldnt walk into a fidelity of Ed Jones office. They arent going to go the individual stock route because their business is mutual funds. Plus, my guess is they dont want to throw darts at individual stocks for guys that dont have enough money to diversify. Rule of thumb is 100k to get a diversified individual US large with maybe some midcaps portfolio. Then you still need to use some type of open or closed fund or ETFs to diversify depending on risk tolerances. And that is just the equity side. Sure you can buy a few stocks here and there but there is a difference between investing and speculating.

Got it, but you are talking about a very small % of men in Alabama who have $100k liquid that they can use to invest. I understand your logic now, both of you are correct.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101061
03/14/24 02:39 PM
03/14/24 02:39 PM
Lickskillet, AL
Irishguy Offline OP
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Irishguy  Offline OP
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Lickskillet, AL
Investing long term is not that hard. All you have to do is look at something like the S&P 500 over the years, see the graph, and it's a pretty easy call. Find some ETF's or low load mutual funds that mirror the S&P 500 put your money there, sit back and let it ride. It will go up and it will go down, but for the last 100 or so years it has always gone up more than it has gone down.

Trying to time the market or figure out which individual stocks will be winners is simply gambling with your money. If you hire a "financial advisor" that claims they can do that then you are just paying somebody else to gamble with your money and that seems to be even worse.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101068
03/14/24 02:45 PM
03/14/24 02:45 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Those "financial advisors" make money on the fee's from every trade even the losing trades, so they dont care if you make money or not. But if they want to keep clients for the long term they will make the clients money and Index, Mutual funds, and other ETF's, are generally safe steady money makers. They just don't get the attention that a big home run single company stock trade gets.

Never Trust Government

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Skinny] #4101079
03/14/24 03:14 PM
03/14/24 03:14 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Those "financial advisors" make money on the fee's from every trade even the losing trades, so they dont care if you make money or not. But if they want to keep clients for the long term they will make the clients money and Index, Mutual funds, and other ETF's, are generally safe steady money makers. They just don't get the attention that a big home run single company stock trade gets.

That simply is not true.

If people want an advisor to actively manage a stock portfolio with trading at least quarterly then a fee-based account is what they need. I used to run mine at 1% or discount it depending on the client. If a person wants to buy and hold stocks then the fee based account will hurt more in the long run. So, paying a commission at the beginning is better. I had many individuals and also corporate accounts that this favored because they were buying and holding for the dividends (tax free for corps). I also had client accounts that would have benefitted from fee-based but because they directed their own accounts I wouldnt "put my name" on it as to charge a fee for my services, so they had to pay more to direct their own trades. This is mai ly because a fee-based financial consultant has a higher fiduciary responibility to the client accounts.

Now, under the obama admin they changed the feduciary rules and it spooked a bunch of the financial firms into going one way or the other. Fee based or commission based. It had to do with companies holding the 12b-1 fees that were paid out to the brokers/agents annually. I think it made a mess of things because people hold different monies for different reasons. This in the long run made the clients pay more(just like every damn thing obama did).

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Semo] #4101085
03/14/24 03:25 PM
03/14/24 03:25 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri

That simply is not true.

If people want an advisor to actively manage a stock portfolio with trading at least quarterly then a fee-based account is what they need. I used to run mine at 1% or discount it depending on the client. If a person wants to buy and hold stocks then the fee based account will hurt more in the long run. So, paying a commission at the beginning is better. I had many individuals and also corporate accounts that this favored because they were buying and holding for the dividends (tax free for corps). I also had client accounts that would have benefitted from fee-based but because they directed their own accounts I wouldnt "put my name" on it as to charge a fee for my services, so they had to pay more to direct their own trades. This is mai ly because a fee-based financial consultant has a higher fiduciary responibility to the client accounts.

Now, under the obama admin they changed the feduciary rules and it spooked a bunch of the financial firms into going one way or the other. Fee based or commission based. It had to do with companies holding the 12b-1 fees that were paid out to the brokers/agents annually. I think it made a mess of things because people hold different monies for different reasons. This in the long run made the clients pay more(just like every damn thing obama did).

I disnt read your post clearly enough the fist time. I think you are correct if you are calling out stock picker traders. But, there are many people that are benefitted by induviual stock accounts in nonqualified accounts. In qualified accounts they make less sense to me, but some people like to know what they own. I dont have any individual stocks in any qualified account. Not sure I see the need. I know I'm not smarter than the best fund managers anyway. Taxes are the equalizer.

Re: Only 21% have over $10k in Savings... [Re: Irishguy] #4101089
03/14/24 03:28 PM
03/14/24 03:28 PM
Boaz,AL
CarbonClimber1 Offline
14 point
CarbonClimber1  Offline
14 point
Boaz,AL
Woopsy doodle…i dont belong in this thread…lemme gitoutah here🤑

"I dont quit.. And ill fight alone if i have to"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.