Originally Posted by Backwoods cowboy
I wanted to ask this question on a different thread, because I really feel bad that a kid got bit by a dog, and I don't think that's right at all. But after reading some of yalls posts I want to ask yalls opinion. If I live in the middle of 300 acres, where you have to come down a mile long driveway to get to my house, am I around to have gaurd dogs that bite to protect my property from unwanted people. Morally and legally?

That's a bit different than a homeowner walking a child into a known dangerous dog and allowing it to bite the child. I don't care what you have to defend your property. I'd prefer any guard dog know the difference between a child and an intruder.

My neighbors had a huge guard dog. Two of them. Had to get rid of one because they fought. It protected the livestock and even let the livestock toss it around. My son could walk up and pet that dog. It knew he was a child and not a threat. If I got within 20' of the fence without my neighbor with me, he'd go ballistic. Even though he knew me.

Character is not developed in moments of temptation and trial. That is when it is intended to be used.