I think I’d rather have an area with nesting that was a 6 or 7 out of 10 that only produced a 3 or 4 on predator density than have nesting that was a 9 out of 10 but produced a 10 out of 10 on the predator load. Why?.....

Because lets say we have 150K acres of grass prairie scattered out in about 500K acre circle that’s running 2-3 times the amount of grass they should be…..which is probably not far off from the reality of this situation I’m referring to……That 150K that’s running a 10 out of 10 on predator load is not just impacting the 150K acres when it comes to hawks, owls, coyotes, etc……It’s likely impacting every property inside the 500K acre circle. So ERRRBODY is getting hammered by the swings in predator pressure……And with a 10 out of 10 on predator load you better have 10 out of 10 on brooding cover. In comparison the area that has a 7 out 10 for nesting but is only producing a 4 on predator load……The whole area has a better chance of being successful…..kinda like SW Alabama is probably doing…..

The pinnacle would be to create a 10 out of 10 for nesting that only produced a 2 or 3 predator load. I think if you could combine what you have occurring in Southwest AL with a fair amount of May/June burning that created a bunch of forb dominated brooding then you’d be real close. Add in a little bit of coon trapping and bada boom bada bing........ smile

Last edited by CNC; 04/15/24 12:38 PM.

We dont rent pigs