Interesting question but I tend to side with those that believe you can't kill too many. Certain properties may not have this luxury. My hunting club has 500 acres on one side of the highway and 2500 on the other side. The best turkey hunting seems to be on the 500 acre tract. I wouldn't hesitate to kill most of the gobblers I hear on that tract because it is surrounded by thousands of acres of equally good turkey habitat. More birds will find it before next season rolls around. Like eyedoc said, by killing more this year, you are making room for more new ones to move in. Turkeys have a much larger home range than deer do.

Having said that, the scenario that BhamFred described could be true too. If you have a 200 acre habitat surrounded by pastures that stay bushhogged and there is a shortage of quality nesting and poult rearing habitat, you could hurt yourself. If you are surrounded by good habitat (roosting trees, thick cover for raising poults, open areas for finding insects) then you likely can't hurt the population. It will replenish itself every 2 years anyhow.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona