Poppa Winston thinks FSU should babysit his Heisman boy 24/7.

Normally I don’t care what happens at Florida State University, even when it becomes Free Seafood University.

But when I read this from Jameis Winston’s father, I got angry about the family’s cache of weapons-grade stupid.

Antonor Winston, the father of the Seminoles quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner, told USA Today the school can do more for his kid because he’s “supposed to have somebody around him 24/7.’’

Oh, so now it’s the school’s job to raise the kid because the family did a lousy job of it? That’s the way it sounds to me.

Jameis Winston was cited for shoplifting after walking out of a Tallahassee, Fla., supermarket without paying for $32 worth of crab legs. He was suspended from the baseball team until he completed 20 hours of community service, which turned out to be janitorial work.

Should’ve made his father go with him, is what the judge should’ve done. Florida State had the kid for two years. The family has had him for 20. Of the two choices, which is supposed to have done more in teaching the kid values?

“I think it should show the university and us, we probably kind of dropped the ball on that a little bit,’’ the father said. “He’s supposed to have someone around him 24/7. He’s a Heisman Trophy winner, so (he’s) definitely not supposed to be by (himself.)’’

Not supposed to be by himself because he acts like an entitled jerk? Where do kids gets such ideas, Mr. Winston?

Not supposed to be by himself so he doesn’t steal stuff? You mean his family hasn’t taught him that it’s wrong?

You know where you could’ve done more, Mr. Winston? Raising your kid, that’s where.

Here’s a tip, Mr. Winston: A kid who has been raised to know right from wrong can in fact be by himself.

Winston’s dad is trying to make it sound like he wants 24/7 protection for his kid because he’s being mobbed by fans. But no. In this case, the father’s complaint comes after his kid got caught breaking the law. Jameis Winston is not the Beatles. He’s at least a thief and probably worse.

It’s as if the father is saying he has no influence on his kid, and so the university ought to save the kid from himself. Nice work, dad.

Not that there isn’t a lot of saving to do. In July 2012, police were called to a Burger King after an employee complained that Winston stole soda. In November 2012, Winston was questioned by police after windows in an apartment complex were broken in a BB gun battle.

The most serious charge against Winston came when a woman accused him of sexual assault. Tallahassee police sat on the case for nine months, then the state’s attorney investigated for a month before clowning his way through a news conference announcing that no charges would be filed against the future Heisman winner of the future national champions.

Winston was involved, or at least around, some bad behavior before the Heisman. He had a history before the crab legs, and it wasn’t a history that spoke well of his family.

Parents, not schools, are supposed to raise their kids. Parents, not schools, are supposed to instill values for life. Parents, not schools, are the most important models a child ever will have. It’s not someone else’s job, Mr. Winston.

A servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

USAF Veteran