Aldeer.com

Attractant instead of bait

Posted By: sbo1971

Attractant instead of bait - 03/24/24 10:50 PM

I’ve been hunting twice so far but I’m always a step behind the hogs it seems. This coming weekend I’m going to try something to see if it will help. I’ve got a sponge that had been soaking in apple flavored Buck Snort since January and I’m going to hang it about 6-7 ft up; I’ll then get in my saddle about 75 yds away and hope this works. Since I hunt public land and you can’t bait them I’m hoping this will work as an attractant, anyone ever tried this with success?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 04/01/24 11:49 PM

There is a Sow in Heat attractant you can use to lure them in

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 04/05/24 01:06 AM

Going to give that a try
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 04/25/24 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
There is a Sow in Heat attractant you can use to lure them in

I used that before and it brought in two coyotes. They were very surprised to see me.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 04/25/24 02:19 PM

The sow in heat stuff seems to attract everything but hogs, works for deer !

This doesn’t do crap for hogs but will attract every deer around ! They used to sell it at buccees

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019173611?pid=401118

The best hog attractant I’ve seen is portobello mushrooms, sardines, water, and 1/4 pack of cherry koolaid in a blender then strained and put in a spray bottle.

Another trick I’ve used on federal lands is nailing a piece of carpet or saddle blanket around the trunk of a tree and coating it with used motor oil for them to rub.

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 05/10/24 03:11 AM

Yeah I might as well bait them if I do the motor oil thing, I don’t even want to think about the fine that would get me.
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 05/14/24 02:07 AM

What do they consider an attractant for hogs? Is Hog Punch considered an attractant or bait?
Posted By: RidgeRanger

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 05/14/24 11:47 PM

Most of my public land hog hunts consist of a lot of shoe leather. Nose in the wind and walk the river bottoms. For an ambush type hunt, I bet Johnny's homebrew attractant posted above would be a good bet.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Attractant instead of bait - 05/15/24 11:46 AM

Best thing you can do when you can’t bait is find their trails, make up a spray, and be quiet. Or call them in using Hog Pro.

Many times stalking them does produce more frequent results.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM