Aldeer.com

Offshore again

Posted By: CAL

Offshore again - 04/21/24 12:56 PM

Wife and I went out last weekend to do some deep dropping for grouper and to check some other spots out. Plan was to run 75 miles to fish a spot I have done well at before. At 55 miles, one of my bottom machines quit working so we had to fish solely on #’s with no sonar. That frustrated me because I enjoy watching the electronics but was pretty sure we could do ok. First spot we deep dropped at yielded nothing which was very surprising. Since we were blind, decided to run to some more consistent spots that were in 420’. We immediately started catching them. Snowy grouper, scamp and mingos were thick and hungry. She had a blast catching them on the electric reel. I opted to hand crank which is a lot of work but not too bad unless….a big jack or shark doesn’t mess with you. Yep, they both decided to bite along with the grouper. Gave me a good workout and she got a chuckle. Ended up being a great day getting our grouper limit, pulling on some fish and seeing a beautiful sunset from the harbor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gman

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 01:20 PM

Nice!
Posted By: TwoRs

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 01:33 PM

👍
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 03:20 PM

What Marina?

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
What Marina?

Boat stays on a lift in Destin harbor
Posted By: BradB

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 03:36 PM

Man I am jealous over those Scamps, used to be my favorite. Any man hand cranking 420’ on a fun trip is a bad arse lol. I was serious about my offshore for many years and we would deep jig 360-380’ during tournaments with conventional gear because we had no choice. Nothing was worse than a 50 lb AJ ruining the show, pure misery for a little bit of fish dip.
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 04:10 PM

Heck yea. Great day!!!!
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 05:14 PM

Looks like there’s something bad wrong with that shark. Awful lot of red in the water. I sure hope he survived that encounter. rofl
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 05:21 PM

Congrats! Can’t wait til I get to do that again. I won’t make it quite that far out, but it’s still a dang blast!

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300
Looks like there’s something bad wrong with that shark. Awful lot of red in the water. I sure hope he survived that encounter. rofl

He suffered from a traumatic brain injury x3

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
Man I am jealous over those Scamps, used to be my favorite. Any man hand cranking 420’ on a fun trip is a bad arse lol. I was serious about my offshore for many years and we would deep jig 360-380’ during tournaments with conventional gear because we had no choice. Nothing was worse than a 50 lb AJ ruining the show, pure misery for a little bit of fish dip.

Jigging is the most fun to be had while clothed
Posted By: Peach

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 06:38 PM

Did you try the tile fish?
Posted By: top cat

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by gman
Nice!

Very

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Peach
Did you try the tile fish?

No sir, didn’t go that direction.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 08:44 PM

Question, why would you just shoot a shark?

Looks like a fun trip for sure though thumbup

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by IDOT

They’re like democrats…. You don’t have to kill them all. If you deal with one, the others scatter and let you live/fish in peace.

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 09:48 PM

^ This. Same reason you need to kill every Hawk/Owl you can.....they eat Turkeys!!

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 10:02 PM

I fished out of Destin from '06 to '15. These days it's out of Fort Morgan. Snapper fishing seems better off the Alabama Coast (Catch much BIGGER Fish)....but the Grouper fishing is not even close to South of Destin.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 10:12 PM

Very nice - great pics
Posted By: Peach

Re: Offshore again - 04/21/24 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by IDOT

Since all the shark regulations were put in place, shark populations have increased to the point that you can barely fish many areas. Pensacola Bay is over run with bull sharks. The famous 29th edge that I fished as a kid is nearly void of fish these days due to the increase in shark populations. It’s out of hand and way worse than it’s ever been. Ask the boys that fish Gulf Shores pier how bad it is. When I fished there as a kid, we almost never saw a shark. Now days, you are lucky to land a king mackerel for all the sharks.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Offshore again - 04/22/24 12:57 AM

Looks like a great trip!
Posted By: hallb

Re: Offshore again - 04/22/24 05:07 PM

It's a lot harder for a dead shark to bite you kinda like a rattle snake. Saw a link somewhere that said they are starting to re-evaluate the deep water grouper limits, seasons, etc.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Offshore again - 04/23/24 12:14 AM

My back hurts just looking at that AJ. Those scamps are like gold if you ask me. Absolutely delicious. Well done
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Offshore again - 04/24/24 02:39 AM

Nice. Those grouper are some good eating. Thanks for sharing

Re: Offshore again - 05/16/24 02:33 AM

Made a run on Mother’s Day with my wife and a friend. Wather man was wrong on the forecasted 1-2’ waves but we made the best of it. Fished 190-420 feet to get these.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Offshore again - 05/16/24 11:35 AM

Ya done good !
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Offshore again - 05/16/24 01:46 PM

Someday I am gonna catch a grouper like that! Well, maybe not. smile

Congrats on another great trip!
Posted By: gwstang

Re: Offshore again - 05/17/24 02:31 AM

Why are the eyes poked out before discarding???

Re: Offshore again - 05/17/24 02:57 AM

That’s an awesome haul! Is that a beeliner? If so, that’s got to the a record or a good pic.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Offshore again - 05/17/24 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pwyse
My back hurts just looking at that AJ. Those scamps are like gold if you ask me. Absolutely delicious. Well done

Those Amberjacks will definitely dislocated your shoulder!

Re: Offshore again - 05/17/24 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Johnal3
That’s an awesome haul! Is that a beeliner? If so, that’s got to the a record or a good pic.

Sure is, it was a big one. My buddy caught that one, I should’ve targeted them after he pulled it up but I kept grouper fishing.

Re: Offshore again - 05/17/24 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by gwstang

The guys that discard the carcasses put them in a pinfish trap to do so. If the eyes are not poked out, they will float and stink.
Posted By: gwstang

Re: Offshore again - 05/18/24 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by CAL
Originally Posted by gwstang

The guys that discard the carcasses put them in a pinfish trap to do so. If the eyes are not poked out, they will float and stink.

Thanks, did not know.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM