</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB: UTV of some sort
by hallb. 05/23/24 08:25 PM
Grizzly 1648sc
by Daveleeal. 05/23/24 06:17 PM
FS/FT- Like new Zeiss Victory HT 8X54 binoculars
by Narrow Gap. 05/23/24 05:47 PM
2011 Toyota Camry 87,000 miles
by Peach. 05/23/24 05:45 PM
Reloading clean out
by Daveleeal. 05/23/24 04:10 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by ColeT. 05/23/24 06:05 PM
how much ammo
by trailertrash. 05/23/24 03:39 PM
Favorite hunting method
by Lockjaw. 05/23/24 09:37 AM
Useful Gear
by YellaLineHunter. 05/21/24 10:57 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Big Bore. 05/21/24 09:49 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (phinfan, RCHRR, David Ellis, WhoMe, Tigger85, Brian_C, AU338MAG, quailman, MidnightRider, klay, C3SEAST, CNC, Captain Howdy, Cuz-Pat, TDog93, Spec, Atoler, JLMiller, kodiak06, StateLine, JustHunt, BUCK EYES, 7PTSPREAD, Forrestgump1, 3bailey3, znix123, Lonster, RidgeRanger, BD, gwstang, goodman_hunter, BentBarrel, XVIII, Snuffy, ronfromramer, beeline08, FreeStateHunter, TEM, cullbuck, seapro19, Turkey_neck, UA Hunter, Holcomb, Whiskey9, ALMODUX, AU coonhunter, Ray_Coon, desertdog, leroyb, Joe4majors, Okatuppa, Simpleman, jake44, Droptine-13, WinstonVizsla, Morris, Mbrock, Shane99, kyles, alhawk, M48scout, tucker07, chevydude2015, Floorman1, Ryano, Wool, 25-20, DoeMaster, Jdkprp70, Detroitdan, specialk, sw1002, cullmanbamafan, LongBeards29, scrubbuck, Reptar, PYhunter, square, Crawfish, Jehu, BigA47, AUjerbear, btfl, Big AL 76, JHL, 2 ducks, DoubleShoalsJR, DThrash, Standbanger, JD_Bowhunter1976, SEWoodsWhitetail, jwalker77, brett.smith, eclipse829, Daveleeal, ColeT, Chaser357, jawbone, just_an_illusion, Longtine, 9 invisible), 879 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: BC] #1086994
09/23/14 11:23 AM
09/23/14 11:23 AM
Cullman/Winston county line
Firefighter Bill Offline
8 point
Firefighter Bill  Offline
8 point
Cullman/Winston county line
Originally Posted By: BC
Originally Posted By: Clem
BC, my point is football and sports evolve, change and nothing is status quo. The "real football" hasn't been that since the 1880s when it started and even then it didn't involve the forward pass. Everything changes.

I like newspapers and traditional print media. I can scream all I want about how electronic media is killing things and even if it's the same content - stories, photos - it's "not real" because it's not on paper. But I'd be wrong, and am wrong, and times change. Football is no different.

The "HUNH" isn't going to disappear. It may change. It may get a minimum requirement before being able to snap the ball, like 20 seconds on the time clock or something. But it's not going away. Fans like it. NFL teams are starting to do it. Players like it and it's here to stay.

We Luddites who want a Gutenberg press, leather helmets and clouds of ink-stained dust ain't going to be happy.

I don't disagree with you, it's here to stay . There will be rules put into place sooner rather than later to regulate it because it's simply an unfair advantage for the offense. Even the refs are complaining about it and threatening to stall the game in their own way.

Funny that they never complained about it till saban had to drop the increased injury argument and change it to the refs are out of position. The HUNH doesn't give the offense an unfair advantage, it hurts teams who have recruited big ,slow linemen and linebackers. Guess why saban and beluga hate it? Other conferences have been running it for years and their refs seemed to adapt, maybe it's time the SEC refs hit the treadmill instead of the buffet line.

Last edited by Firefighter Bill; 09/23/14 11:24 AM.

Lead, follow or get the HELL outa the way!
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: Firefighter Bill] #1087298
09/23/14 04:14 PM
09/23/14 04:14 PM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Originally Posted By: Firefighter Bill
BC, my point is football and sports evolve, change and nothing is status quo. The "real football" hasn't been that since the 1880s when it started and even then it didn't involve the forward pass. Everything changes.

I like newspapers and traditional print media. I can scream all I want about how electronic media is killing things and even if it's the same content - stories, photos - it's "not real" because it's not on paper. But I'd be wrong, and am wrong, and times change. Football is no different.

The "HUNH" isn't going to disappear. It may change. It may get a minimum requirement before being able to snap the ball, like 20 seconds on the time clock or something. But it's not going away. Fans like it. NFL teams are starting to do it. Players like it and it's here to stay.

We Luddites who want a Gutenberg press, leather helmets and clouds of ink-stained dust ain't going to be happy.

I don't disagree with you, it's here to stay . There will be rules put into place sooner rather than later to regulate it because it's simply an unfair advantage for the offense. Even the refs are complaining about it and threatening to stall the game in their own way.

Funny that they never complained about it till saban had to drop the increased injury argument and change it to the refs are out of position. The HUNH doesn't give the offense an unfair advantage, it hurts teams who have recruited big ,slow linemen and linebackers. Guess why saban and beluga hate it? Other conferences have been running it for years and their refs seemed to adapt, maybe it's time the SEC refs hit the treadmill instead of the buffet line.

Well at least auburn proved it does lead to increased injury last year. Does anyone remember when the Auburn defensive player collapsed in the endzone? He must have been exhausted.

Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: QDMAV8R] #1087303
09/23/14 04:18 PM
09/23/14 04:18 PM
Scottsboro, Al
J
jbatey1 Offline
Lucky Bastage
jbatey1  Offline
Lucky Bastage
J
Scottsboro, Al
It looked like he had been took out by a sniper.

The fool tells me his reasons; the wise man persuades me with my own.
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: Firefighter Bill] #1087513
09/24/14 01:34 AM
09/24/14 01:34 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Funny that they never complained about it till saban had to drop the increased injury argument and change it to the refs are out of position. Guess why saban and beluga hate it? Other conferences have been running it for years and their refs seemed to adapt, maybe it's time the SEC refs hit the treadmill instead of the buffet line.

SEC refs are on a training regimen and it's not that they are slow and out of shape. The issue is the offense snapping the ball before the refs are in position. Do a little research dude....... every ref in the damn country is complaining about it. There was an interview with Rogers Redding the NCAA's coordinator of officiating where he stated that the officials from every conference had met on it and agreed that they would slow the game down by not hurrying to spot the ball.

The HUNH doesn't give the offense an unfair advantage, it hurts teams who have recruited big ,slow linemen and linebackers.

Sorry dude you are simply wrong. Being able to line up and snap the ball before the defense is set or has the chance to substitute to match the skill position players that the Offense brings on the field is a huge advantage and nobody in the country is pro HUNH except for the handful of teams that run it.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: BC] #1087515
09/24/14 01:46 AM
09/24/14 01:46 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Here are some quotes from Redding, a man who's been making rules on college football for 30+ years.

"From the officiating standpoint, we kind of got caught up in this thing and allowed ourselves to sort of get overwhelmed by it," NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said. "Too much rushing around, hurrying and trying to be speedy about getting the ball in play and it sort of put the defense at a disadvantage."
Now, the officials are taking the pace back.

"It's not revolutionary, but it sort of calls attention to the need for the officials not to make the ball ready for play until all the officials are in position," said Redding, a referee in the SEC from 1994-2004. "That may mean cleaning up the sideline before, but having the umpire sort of crisply jog but don't sprint, hustle but don't hurry in getting the ball ready for play."

The officials had control of a game's pace when college football had a 25-second clock. They stopped the clock at the end of a play and started it again before the next one through an orchestration of hand signals to the clock operator.

Switching to a running 40-second play clock in 2008 changed everything.

Under the new system, the play clock for the next play starts immediately after the previous one ends.

That put the pace of a game into the hands of the offense; the faster they lined up to the ball, the faster they could snap it.

As is usually the case, it didn't take teams long to figure a way to use the new rule to their advantage. By playing at a 2-minute-drill pace the entire game, they realized they could wear opposing defenses down and limit their ability to make substitutions.

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: QDMAV8R] #1087525
09/24/14 02:12 AM
09/24/14 02:12 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
I'm pretty sure that if the offense substitutes players that the D can as well.

It is simply not worth arguing. The haters (bama fans) will never like it as long as they see it as a threat.

Being able to sub and get lined up are coaching issues.

Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: burbank] #1087548
09/24/14 02:59 AM
09/24/14 02:59 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Originally Posted By: burbank

It is simply not worth arguing. The haters (bama fans) will never like it as long as they see it as a threat.

........ and Auburn fans will never see it for what it is because it's helping them win football games.

No matter how many people of influence or power within the infrastructure of college football tell them.

Directors of officiating are full of chit.
NCAA officials are full of chit.
85% of coaches in the NCAA are full of chit.

Like I said in the other thread, it's amazing how receptive one becomes to something when it benefits them.

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: burbank] #1087599
09/24/14 04:13 AM
09/24/14 04:13 AM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...

I don't see it as a threat anymore. Bamas prostyle offense is better.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: BC] #1087798
09/24/14 07:23 AM
09/24/14 07:23 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
Like I said in the other thread, it's amazing how receptive one becomes to something when it benefits them.

Like urging not-as-good players to take medical scholarships?

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: Clem] #1087813
09/24/14 07:35 AM
09/24/14 07:35 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
Burn.

That one will draw crickets.

Quote:

Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: Clem] #1087910
09/24/14 09:10 AM
09/24/14 09:10 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Quote:

You got anything in the way of proof of that occurring, other than Barn fanboy speculation?

Maybe Bama should have took a page out of Auburn's playbook and force student athletes to go beyond their rehab limitations until they are injred so badly their careers are over.

$1 to Chaz Ramsey

I guess we can all throw those petty stones when it comes down to it.

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: QDMAV8R] #1087936
09/24/14 09:32 AM
09/24/14 09:32 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Ha. Speculation? That was one of Saban's pet deals for managing his roster. Oversigning.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ritical-report/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/castoffs_who_accepted_medical.html

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/02/04/saban-oversigning

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/medical-redshirt-vs-medical-exemption-overview

He wasn't the only coach, and probably still isn't, who did or does this. Auburn probably has done it for years, too. Probably still does.

Petty? C'mon. Don't get all hurt about something that happened and clearly was an issue among the coaches, teams and presidents ... just like the NHHU issue, which likely will be resolved with some kind of regulation or ruling to give defenses time to get set up and substitute.

Fanboy? That's a good one!

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: BC] #1087944
09/24/14 09:42 AM
09/24/14 09:42 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
You pin your argument on Chaz Ramsey?

Ha!

Quote:

You got anything in the way of proof of that occurring, other than Barn fanboy speculation?

Maybe Bama should have took a page out of Auburn's playbook and force student athletes to go beyond their rehab limitations until they are injred so badly their careers are over.

$1 to Chaz Ramsey

I guess we can all throw those petty stones when it comes down to it.

Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: QDMAV8R] #1087963
09/24/14 10:04 AM
09/24/14 10:04 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
So, before we digress further into pitchforks and stickers on statues and cattle humping let's cut to the quick.

What would/could/should be done to balance out this purported unbalance between NHHU offenses and the defenses that should be given some time to get set?

The 2-minute offense often has two or three plays called in advance. Run the X-33 Post Zip the first play, Slant 23 Out on the second and then spike the ball to kill the clock. Or two runs, inside slant, off tackle, wham bam go go go. The defense in a 2-minute attack knows it will have to hump it to get set up and they do it. Or they drag ass and everyone knows they're doing that to slow down the attack. Or they stop the offense.

Do they ask for extra time to get set up in a 2-Minute attack? Nope. They prepare for it. But apparently it's too much to ask for them to do this for an entire game.

So ... what's the solution? With a 40-second clock, should offenses be required to come to the line and then to not snap the ball within 15 seconds of the clock starting to give the defense time? Twenty seconds? Anything done immediately gets a penalty for ... Rushing the Game (the opposite of Delay of Game)?

Don't the referees already have some control over this anyway? They can stand over the ball, hold it before putting it down on the line of scrimmage and/or something similar. A coach can scream to the Lord Almighty for them to put it down so they can run a play but the referee doesn't have to deign to that request, right? And a center can't snatch the ball from the ref and snap it. So the refs already are in some control of the flow of the game.

What's the solution? Another regulation?

Last edited by Clem; 09/24/14 10:04 AM.

Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: Clem] #1087974
09/24/14 10:32 AM
09/24/14 10:32 AM
Panhandle Florida
PaschalBD Offline
Used to be TiderBD
PaschalBD  Offline
Used to be TiderBD
Panhandle Florida
Chester and Spike (Spikes roll in this cartoon played by Burbank)

A servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

USAF Veteran
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: burbank] #1087980
09/24/14 10:36 AM
south of hills, north of plain...
R
RareBreed Offline
8 point
RareBreed  Offline
8 point
R
south of hills, north of plain...

That's right SPIKE, you tell em! C'mon SPIKE say something else! Sick em SPIKE!

(You beat me to it by a few minutes. It must be universal).

Burn.

That one will draw crickets.

Quote:

Last edited by RareBreed; 09/25/14 05:08 AM.

"I didn’t mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot him once in the head and two times in the chest. Him dying was between he and the Lord."
Legendary bluesman R.L. Burnside
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: QDMAV8R] #1087981
behind my Dillon
dave260rem! Offline
Skinny’s Ex
dave260rem!  Offline
Skinny’s Ex
behind my Dillon
Imagine being the ref that stands over the ball and doesn't allow either of our states teams to snap until defense is set.

Skinny is my EX.Alcohol was involved.
Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: Clem] #1088553
09/24/14 11:59 PM
09/24/14 11:59 PM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Ha. Speculation? That was one of Saban's pet deals for managing his roster. Oversigning.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ritical-report/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/castoffs_who_accepted_medical.html

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/02/04/saban-oversigning

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/medical-redshirt-vs-medical-exemption-overview

He wasn't the only coach, and probably still isn't, who did or does this. Auburn probably has done it for years, too. Probably still does.

Petty? C'mon. Don't get all hurt about something that happened and clearly was an issue among the coaches, teams and presidents ... just like the NHHU issue, which likely will be resolved with some kind of regulation or ruling to give defenses time to get set up and substitute.

Fanboy? That's a good one!

For the record Clem, I'm not referring to you being the "fanboy". My point was that maybe you were listening to them too much.

Also I think the "petty" comment was taken out of context. I just didn't feel that point should have just come in out of left field in a discussion about an offense. It seemed like we were getting off topic for the sake of mudslinging and there's plenty of ammo for that from both schools. At least that's how I took it initially until you just explained how you were tying it in to your point.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

Re: Did You Notice Bama....NHO and attempted quick pace? [Re: QDMAV8R] #1088568
09/25/14 01:08 AM
09/25/14 01:08 AM
Cleburne
.308 Offline
14 point
.308  Offline
14 point
Cleburne
No rule changes are needed. Saban is supposed to be a defensive guru & needs to install a scheme to slow down up tempo o's. He already has to a point by recruiting slightly smaller, faster & more athletic d linemen & a more effective substitution plan. It's already showing on the field, it will be ok.

"When you've stared down the barrel of a shotgun in your own home, 3rd & 20 don't seem too bad"......Ken "Snake" Stabler
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.