</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
1st Gen Stainless M700 MTN FS
by ALMODUX. 05/17/24 09:23 PM
450 Marlin and Ranger boat
by 3006bullet. 05/17/24 06:35 PM
FS or Trade, Weatherby Orion 12GA O/U
by kaferhaus. 05/17/24 06:15 PM
High School or Junior High baseball bat $65
by toyota05. 05/17/24 04:16 PM
Saint Bernard
by Big AL 76. 05/17/24 03:22 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Research Update
by Ben2. 05/17/24 08:35 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by marshmud991. 05/17/24 08:29 PM
research data base
by Frankie. 05/17/24 07:50 PM
Tennessee
by jawbone. 05/15/24 12:24 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Game Hunter. 05/15/24 12:13 AM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Who's Online Now
27 registered members (BBD23, Geezer, coosabuckhunter, Bronco 74, specialk, turfarmer, 7mmSTW, brassmagnet, m97, russellb, Richard Cranium, CatHeadBiscuit, AUtgr, NotsoBright, Alb, TurkeyJoe, GomerPyle, jaredhunts, Paint Rock 00, sloughfoot, Etyson, cmontgomery, !shiloh!, canvasback, Dubie, Chaser357, 1 invisible), 867 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: doekiller] #2181453
08/01/17 04:42 AM
08/01/17 04:42 AM
Georgia
G
Geeb Offline
4 point
Geeb  Offline
4 point
G
Georgia
Originally Posted By: doekiller
I love how you everyone thinks only people doing what they like doing should have a right to use the lake. Personally, I hate wave runners. I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me. But, I understand those people have as much right to the lake as I do.

^^^^TRUTH^^^^

The water is open to everyone for everything, if you don't like the waves from the wakeboards banging your boat, raise it up in a boat house.
I personally can't stand the 70 mile an hour fishermen who often times do not pay attention to where they are going while looking at the fish finder.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: ford150man] #2181455
08/01/17 04:43 AM
08/01/17 04:43 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted By: ford150man
Well I've been both. I've had the tournament rigged boat, pleasure boats and everything in between. Like stated earlier no one group has the monopoly on being an ass on the water. Lots of pleasure boaters think they are the only ones on the lake as they swerve back and forth pulling someone across the lake; and, lots of bass fishermen think they are Hank Parker about to weigh in and become a world champion, if they can just get there in time.

Okay, that's a good one! thumbup laugh

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181464
08/01/17 04:54 AM
08/01/17 04:54 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Let me unpack this a little deeper. When I say "skilled", I don't really mean a literal ability to physically grip the steering wheel and drive that boat, it's the numerous other peripheral aspects.

And look, I realize when there are 50 other ski/pontoons/cruisers/SeaDoos all in one big wide area of the lake, you just have to get in amongst them, and that's fine for the pleasure boat folks (again, you can ski in an area whether there are 2 other boats or 22 other boats). But when you're fishing along the bank, and right out behind you there's several skiers going round and round and round and round and round and round, and that little teenage jackass thinks he's cool doing dips on the SeaDoo (and insists on doing near you so you can see him and also think he's cool), and the party crew millennials come slowly BUMPIN' buy you on the wake boat making 3' roller waves, then 9 pontoons with grannys and grandpas idle by also making large waves, eventually you just throw your #$@#$! rod in the locker and go home. Fishing is over. Meanwhile, all the pleasure boat crew gets to enjoy the rest of their Saturday, completely unaware and unconcerned that they ruin it for the fishing guys. Is it their fault?...Should they stop?...well no, but that doesn't mean I can't bitch about it. It's frustrating. It is what it is, and it's legit.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181472
08/01/17 05:00 AM
08/01/17 05:00 AM
upatree
rulebreaker Offline
My head is in my ass.
rulebreaker  Offline
My head is in my ass.
upatree
Wakeboard boats are the DEVIL! They are the only boat that is designed to destroy property, designed specifically to erode the shoreline at a staggering pace. That is simply just not right I don't care what you say. Now as far as the rudeness goes, there is enough blame to go around to all involved.

Don't go looking for TROUBLE, it'll find you soon enough!

There are old, wise men and then there are just old fools. The sooner you learn this, the wiser you will be.
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: odocoileus] #2181487
08/01/17 05:11 AM
08/01/17 05:11 AM
Georgia
G
Geeb Offline
4 point
Geeb  Offline
4 point
G
Georgia

Originally Posted By: odocoileus
Originally Posted By: Cutem
You may think getting off the main channel is a good idea but its not. Calm sloughs are the best place to wakeboard be a douche

FIFY

So who are the privileged few who are allowed in these sacred calm sloughs?

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: ikillbux] #2181501
08/01/17 05:30 AM
08/01/17 05:30 AM
RBC, AL
D
Drake322 Offline
10 point
Drake322  Offline
10 point
D
RBC, AL
Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Let me unpack this a little deeper. When I say "skilled", I don't really mean a literal ability to physically grip the steering wheel and drive that boat, it's the numerous other peripheral aspects.

And look, I realize when there are 50 other ski/pontoons/cruisers/SeaDoos all in one big wide area of the lake, you just have to get in amongst them, and that's fine for the pleasure boat folks (again, you can ski in an area whether there are 2 other boats or 22 other boats). But when you're fishing along the bank, and right out behind you there's several skiers going round and round and round and round and round and round, and that little teenage jackass thinks he's cool doing dips on the SeaDoo (and insists on doing near you so you can see him and also think he's cool), and the party crew millennials come slowly BUMPIN' buy you on the wake boat making 3' roller waves, then 9 pontoons with grannys and grandpas idle by also making large waves, eventually you just throw your #$@#$! rod in the locker and go home. Fishing is over. Meanwhile, all the pleasure boat crew gets to enjoy the rest of their Saturday, completely unaware and unconcerned that they ruin it for the fishing guys. Is it their fault?...Should they stop?...well no, but that doesn't mean I can't bitch about it. It's frustrating. It is what it is, and it's legit.

BINGO! I fish during the week when I can. Here come young guy that uses my boat at a bouy to circle around. What do I do? Grab the biggest crank I got and sling it at them. Some get the message and some have no clue. Heck, I have a friend that just got a wakeboard boat. We were fishing in middle of river on a afternoon tx. She sees me and comes within 50 yards of me and says to her husband, "those at stumps where he is fishing goa little closer to his left to get in channel". Problem here is THERE WERE NO STUMPS ANYWHERE CLOSE, JUST RIVER CHANNEL". This type of behavior needs to change. Mandatory classes when you buy a boat for the river/lake you reside or whatever may need to be looked at.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: Drake322] #2181511
08/01/17 05:49 AM
08/01/17 05:49 AM
Right Behind You
W
William Offline
Booner
William  Offline
Booner
W
Right Behind You
Originally Posted By: Drake322
Mandatory classes when you buy a boat for the river/lake you reside or whatever may need to be looked at.

And you lost me.....

I'd love for every boater to see the lake they frequent with the water down. It'd scare the %&^* outa most of them. I'm on the water a lot. I see crazy stuff from the recreation crowd, but the crazy tournament guy is out there too.

"The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing... compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."

Joan Robinson
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: William] #2181515
08/01/17 05:53 AM
08/01/17 05:53 AM
RBC, AL
D
Drake322 Offline
10 point
Drake322  Offline
10 point
D
RBC, AL
Originally Posted By: William
Mandatory classes when you buy a boat for the river/lake you reside or whatever may need to be looked at.

And you lost me.....

I'd love for every boater to see the lake they frequent with the water down. It'd scare the %&^* outa most of them. I'm on the water a lot. I see crazy stuff from the recreation crowd, but the crazy tournament guy is out there too.

I have seen so many new boaters over the last 3 years here on Neely. No clue at where they are going, how to operate, be courteous, and so on. Also, weekend warriors that have the $75K Phoenix are not entitled to come by anyone on the back pad running 70 and put them and other boats in danger.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181542
08/01/17 06:39 AM
08/01/17 06:39 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
I can't say for 100% which boat drafts the least water: A bass boat, or a ski boat. Now I assume a ski boat can probably run in shallower water since they have an inboard. However, how shallow??

Most bass boats have large GPS electronics showing the chart for the lake you are on, with 1' contours and all sorts of warnings and guidance features. You can see the channel, shallow flats, humps, etc. On most lakes you can think you're out in the middle of the deepest part, it's a mile wide, but there's a dang hump right there that's only about 2' deep on top (or less!!!). The bass boat guys ALL know that and avoid it. It's crazy how it appears all the ski boats drive right over the top of that hump...with a skier in tow!! If they fell off their shorts wouldn't even get wet! I just turn my head. I guess that's one aspect I'm talking about when I say "skill" of driver. Even before I had a television screen GPS on my boat, I knew that hump was there and avoided it. But it's like the pleasure guys don't even understand the concept that there is a shallow danger there.

Last edited by ikillbux; 08/01/17 07:24 AM.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: Gotcha1] #2181592
08/01/17 07:33 AM
08/01/17 07:33 AM
Lee County
R
RCHRR Offline
14 point
RCHRR  Offline
14 point
R
Lee County
Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
Been on Martin since the WB's came out. Bet I haven't seen 10 people wake boarding. Mostly just cruisers knocking your boat up on the dock, music blaring (and I mean loud), boards in their racks, and coool dudes driving.

^^^This^^^ I've never seen anyone wake board and very rarely see anyone skiing anymore. Just a bunch of damn cruisers and a few tubers. That's on wake boats, ski boats and pontoon boats. It's definitely not the lake I grew up on.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181651
08/01/17 08:47 AM
08/01/17 08:47 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's important to me that you know I'm not hating on pleasure boaters. That's your/their hobby just like bass fishing is mine, the lake belongs to all of us. That's not the debate, actually I don't guess there's a debate at all. Just a fisherman venting is all I am.

Drake hit on something above that I think we're missing... the sheer increase in numbers of people on the water today. There's a MASSIVE amount of boats of all kinds on the water today. This topic about certain kinds of boats is coming up more and more often, there's something to it. 20 years ago there weren't nearly as many folks with boats of any kind, today it seems like everybody has a boat. It's just too crowded. I have the same problem with hunting, and it's why I look at you like WTF when folks talk about "needing to get the next generation into hunting so we don't lose the sport."

Last edited by ikillbux; 08/01/17 08:54 AM.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: ikillbux] #2181671
08/01/17 09:26 AM
08/01/17 09:26 AM
RBC, AL
D
Drake322 Offline
10 point
Drake322  Offline
10 point
D
RBC, AL
I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's important to me that you know I'm not hating on pleasure boaters. That's your/their hobby just like bass fishing is mine, the lake belongs to all of us. That's not the debate, actually I don't guess there's a debate at all. Just a fisherman venting is all I am.

Drake hit on something above that I think we're missing... the sheer increase in numbers of people on the water today. There's a MASSIVE amount of boats of all kinds on the water today. This topic about certain kinds of boats is coming up more and more often, there's something to it. 20 years ago there weren't nearly as many folks with boats of any kind, today it seems like everybody has a boat. It's just too crowded. I have the same problem with hunting, and it's why I look at you like WTF when folks talk about "needing to get the next generation into hunting so we don't lose the sport."

I am also not hating on pleasure boaters either. Like I said, I fish during the week and on the pontoon on weekends. I will say this though, this influx of new/resurged/moved here from somewhere else boaters is insane. Just like 10-14 years ago, the onslaught of new duck hunter was just sickening. Sorry for the side bar. grin

I do SERIOUSLY believe before anyone leaves Buck's Island with a boat that they have to take a test on knowledge of their home river if it a pleasure boater. Again, not a hater. beers

Last edited by Drake322; 08/01/17 09:26 AM.
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181683
08/01/17 09:43 AM
08/01/17 09:43 AM
upatree
rulebreaker Offline
My head is in my ass.
rulebreaker  Offline
My head is in my ass.
upatree
AND, for some of you that are not out here EVERY week-end, you may have no idea what we are talking about.

Don't go looking for TROUBLE, it'll find you soon enough!

There are old, wise men and then there are just old fools. The sooner you learn this, the wiser you will be.
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181764
08/01/17 11:24 AM
08/01/17 11:24 AM
Shelby County
bloodtrail Offline
10 point
bloodtrail  Offline
10 point
Shelby County
Aside from the huge destructive waves, very few people follow the rules of the water. It looks like pure chaos which makes it impossible for people to observe and learn how to drive their boat. If everyone followed navigational beacons, drove on their right side, overtook boats on the left, and didn't recklessly drive close to docks the water would be much more enjoyable. Following the channel around a right turn should not be a real game of chicken, but unfortunately you can bet a boat (usually a pontoon) will be looking at you face-to-face around every bend.
My advice to pleasure boaters is learn the contours of the lake your running, "stumps" aren't out there in random places, 3' ledges don't just sneak up on you. The shallow water in the backs of creeks and sloughs is where fisherman go to get away from pleasure craft, taking a wake boat that's designed to throw the biggest imaginable wave for the skiers enjoyment back there should get you beat with either a yekrut stick or a Bob Barker flip flop. The main lake is full of waves for you to enjoy.

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: Irishguy] #2181837
08/01/17 01:06 PM
08/01/17 01:06 PM
Irvington, AL
sethjamtoe Offline
12 point
sethjamtoe  Offline
12 point
Irvington, AL
Quote:
2. Harley pirate guy with not only the loud ass exhaust shouting "look at me!" but he also has to have the stereo speakers blaring out either rap or classic rock that he never grew tired of in high school... And all you're trying to do it find some peace and quiet.

This IS how I find my peace and quiet! Rolling around on my Harley with loud pipes and music blaring is my getaway! LOL - and, yes, I just finished installing a 500w amp in it this past weekend too! LOL

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181883
08/01/17 02:11 PM
08/01/17 02:11 PM
Old Florida
Geno Offline
Booner
Geno  Offline
Booner
Old Florida
The sooner we have laws against damaging other people's health (hearing), the better.

I love my weekends in Tallahassee. 55 decibels gets you a 150 clam fine the first time no exceptions and it goes up really fast from there. The ghetto thugs have made the transition quite well.

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2181886
08/01/17 02:15 PM
08/01/17 02:15 PM
Montgomery, AL
jbc Offline
14 point
jbc  Offline
14 point
Montgomery, AL
We are in what has to be the most ski'd in slough in lake martin, and our dock is almost to end at wide spot where they all turn around.

It's like a war zone. We had to buy a lift to keep the pontoon and dock from destroying each other

I just bought a fiberglass boat last week and I guess I'll pull it out on ramp every night until I get a second lift installed

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: Drake322] #2181893
08/01/17 02:21 PM
08/01/17 02:21 PM
colbert county
cartervj Offline
Old Mossy Horns
cartervj  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
colbert county

I am also not hating on pleasure boaters either. Like I said, I fish during the week and on the pontoon on weekends. I will say this though, this influx of new/resurged/moved here from somewhere else boaters is insane. Just like 10-14 years ago, the onslaught of new duck hunter was just sickening. Sorry for the side bar. grin

I do SERIOUSLY believe before anyone leaves Buck's Island with a boat that they have to take a test on knowledge of their home river if it a pleasure boater. Again, not a hater. beers

Just imagine the 80's y'all don't know what peace and quit is. From duck hunting to ski boats, they were almost non-existent.

“Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it.” ― Ronald Reagan
Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: GomerPyle] #2182091
08/01/17 04:27 PM
08/01/17 04:27 PM
Tenn
W
woodduck Offline
14 point
woodduck  Offline
14 point
W
Tenn
Just too many damn people everywhere is the problem. Lake and land. One reason I've started doing more kayak/canoe floats

Re: Wakeboard Boats [Re: sethjamtoe] #2182441
08/02/17 04:49 AM
08/02/17 04:49 AM
Lickskillet, AL
Irishguy Offline
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Irishguy  Offline
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Lickskillet, AL
Originally Posted By: sethjamtoe
Quote:
2. Harley pirate guy with not only the loud ass exhaust shouting "look at me!" but he also has to have the stereo speakers blaring out either rap or classic rock that he never grew tired of in high school... And all you're trying to do it find some peace and quiet.

This IS how I find my peace and quiet! Rolling around on my Harley with loud pipes and music blaring is my getaway! LOL - and, yes, I just finished installing a 500w amp in it this past weekend too! LOL

You are the reason I'm building my cabin on a dirt road.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.